Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably old news for some but I was at the dealer the other day and saw the 2013 White/Blue color combo in person. I fell in love! I have the silver/blue which I like a lot, but the white/blue (same blue as on my bike) is FANTASTIC!

You really have to see it in person. Might just be me, but I thought the two colors really 'popped' and made for an excellent looking bike, also matched the chrome really well.

Now all of you can tell me how 'unique' you are with your blacked out motorcycles with blacked-out chrome and blackblackblack-bleh. :p BUT, for those of us who are bored of black-everything motorcycles, I think it looks awesome!

How about y'all? What's your favorite color scheme in the 900 line, now that we've had a few years of choices?

·
Registered
273 Posts
new color

That is a different color you don't see that will make it unique. If you really want to know what my favorite color combo is?........BLACK on BLACK. Sorry to disappoint but I still think my color is sharp. I might be wrong but...

BTW I am curious to what if any changes the 2013 models have that are new? I think the current model has been around since 2007? Have their been ANY changes since then? Thank, Gary

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a different color you don't see that will make it unique. If you really want to know what my favorite color combo is?........BLACK on BLACK. Sorry to disappoint but I still think my color is sharp. I might be wrong but...

BTW I am curious to what if any changes the 2013 models have that are new? I think the current model has been around since 2007? Have their been ANY changes since then? Thank, Gary
Well it's impossible to be 'wrong' about colors, it's totally subjective. I'm just not a fan of the blacked-out motorcycle fad and I take opportunities now and again to tease folks for it :p I DO think it can look good (Especially matte black), but I think it looks best when it has a little Chrome as well, but it seems like folks who want to black our their bike also want to get rid of Chrome. Black and Chrome is a classic combo!

The current model has been around since 2006. Basically unchanged. This year there was a slight re-shaping of the stock seat, which may mean some improvements. Beyond that, I noticed that even on the two-tone LT they are using black kick stands instead of the chrome ones my Classic LT has. Also, instead of silver/metal switch covers, they are black plastic. That's all I noticed. Other than, of course, new color combos and such each model year.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Best colour combo right here!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Suzuki used to run this color combination on its 800 cruiser, with white walls, i thought it always look really sharp. Today ... yes breaking news, i had to decide on the white / silver or blue / black for my new Vulcan Voyager ... i dropped both my bikes at the dealer this moring on consignment. Due to having 2 additions to our family (foster kids) my riding time for 2 bikes for the past year has been severly diminished. I still have time for 1 bike and still want to keep in the cruiser gendre, have the option of touring, hence the change. It became a 3 person choice, me , mother and one of our girls who rides with me ... they wanted the blue / black and i also thought the white / silver looked a little flat. I won't do anything until both my 9's are sold, but the dealer has put aside the Voyager for me ( its still in the crate.)

It was however a sad morning to take them both to the dealer, but i look forward to the Voyager. Now, lets see if they sell at the (premium) price i have on them.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I still think the white/pewter combo on the 09 was the best. :D

All that '13 needs is a patch of red and it would look like it came straight out of the 70s.

Black isn't my favorite either. But, I don't think you have a choice with a Vaquero or a Road King. Those two bikes are just to sweet in black!:)

Scott

P.S. Good luck on the sales Whiting57; I know you will enjoy the VV.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the Voygaer Maurice! Gonna get a trailer hitch on it? I really enjoy your posts on the long rides you do, if you do another in the future.

I bet electronic cruise control and a stereo are going to be nice on the long hauls.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That's a tough call. I really like the blue/black, red/black and as Scott mentioned, the white/pewter combos. I guess those three are my favorites. If I had to make the call I'd say the red/black.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Suzuki used to run this color combination on its 800 cruiser, with white walls, i thought it always look really sharp. Today ... yes breaking news, i had to decide on the white / silver or blue / black for my new Vulcan Voyager ... i dropped both my bikes at the dealer this moring on consignment. Due to having 2 additions to our family (foster kids) my riding time for 2 bikes for the past year has been severly diminished. I still have time for 1 bike and still want to keep in the cruiser gendre, have the option of touring, hence the change. It became a 3 person choice, me , mother and one of our girls who rides with me ... they wanted the blue / black and i also thought the white / silver looked a little flat. I won't do anything until both my 9's are sold, but the dealer has put aside the Voyager for me ( its still in the crate.)

It was however a sad morning to take them both to the dealer, but i look forward to the Voyager. Now, lets see if they sell at the (premium) price i have on them.

Whoever gets your custom is going to be one lucky SOB. I've been oogling that thing for over a year now. Actually inspired my train of thought for what I want to do to my 900, and got me hooked on the bagger idea!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Congrats on the Voyager Maurice! Gonna get a trailer hitch on it? I really enjoy your posts on the long rides you do, if you do another in the future.

I bet electronic cruise control and a stereo are going to be nice on the long hauls.
The trailer / classic is a bundled sale, i think i can get more for it together than selling the bike separate. I am asking a premium price for both bikes, they are heavily optioned, realizing of course, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.(we all know, us metric riders are notoriously cheap LOL)

My days of 2 week trips is pretty much sidelined for quite a while, hence the Voyager, Lyn and i can still do some quick week enders. It can still carry a fair bit of luggage for the week enders.

The bikes i was looking at was the vaquero, v star 1300 deluxe, nomad 1700 LT and the Voyager.The Vaquero in Canada has the flat black or the orange with flames color combination, neither was like by Lyn and myself, no passing lights (an option) and no grab rails( important to Lyn) the v star was knocked out by Lyn, no hand grips for the passenger and it would still need a fair amount of accessories, plus no cruise ... the nomad, no fairing, no passing lights and no beer box, it boiled down to the Voyager had everything, cruise, wrap around beer box and passing lights, the usual options are standard on this bike. I don't really care about the stereo, but the optional intercom system is a plus.

I was hesitant to sell my 9's ... good power, reasonable weight and a very reliable, comfortable platform. I have not ridden the voyager, but i have ridden a '12 nomad LT. The Voyagers blow a bit of heat and at around 865lbs, its a lot of weight. This Will likely be the last bike i buy for some time, so if I'm going to get something, it might as well be loaded.

Still, they ( my 9's) have to sell first, so we will wait and see, the bike season is just about to hit here, and this is the best time to sell.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trailer / classic is a bundled sale, i think i can get more for it together than selling the bike separate. I am asking a premium price for both bikes, they are heavily optioned, realizing of course, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.(we all know, us metric riders are notoriously cheap LOL)

My days of 2 week trips is pretty much sidelined for quite a while, hence the Voyager, Lyn and i can still do some quick week enders. It can still carry a fair bit of luggage for the week enders.

The bikes i was looking at was the vaquero, v star 1300 deluxe, nomad 1700 LT and the Voyager.The Vaquero in Canada has the flat black or the orange with flames color combination, neither was like by Lyn and myself, no passing lights (an option) and no grab rails( important to Lyn) the v star was knocked out by Lyn, no hand grips for the passenger and it would still need a fair amount of accessories, plus no cruise ... the nomad, no fairing, no passing lights and no beer box, it boiled down to the Voyager had everything, cruise, wrap around beer box and passing lights, the usual options are standard on this bike. I don't really care about the stereo, but the optional intercom system is a plus.

I was hesitant to sell my 9's ... good power, reasonable weight and a very reliable, comfortable platform. I have not ridden the voyager, but i have ridden a '12 nomad LT. The Voyagers blow a bit of heat and at around 865lbs, its a lot of weight. This Will likely be the last bike i buy for some time, so if I'm going to get something, it might as well be loaded.

Still, they ( my 9's) have to sell first, so we will wait and see, the bike season is just about to hit here, and this is the best time to sell.
Well, I wish you luck!

I don't know about your market, but the biggest issue here where I'm at is the "no money down" culture. Folks just don't pay for anything anymore, they finance it. The bank, whichever they go to, (Unless Canada is different) is only going to give 80-90% of the book value for the bikes and the trailer, and the book value is barely raised an inch by the accessories. Thus, if a guy planning on not spending any money and just having a monthly bill with very little down rolls around and finds out he's only going to get maybe 70% of what you're asking from the bank and needs to come up with the rest as a 'down payment', he may be shyed off.

Maybe (hopefully) the market is better in the land of hockey and maple syrup than down here in "Just $29.95 a week!" predatory-lending rural Midwestern America.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
This is probably old news for some but I was at the dealer the other day and saw the 2013 White/Blue color combo in person. I fell in love! I have the silver/blue which I like a lot, but the white/blue (same blue as on my bike) is FANTASTIC!

You really have to see it in person. Might just be me, but I thought the two colors really 'popped' and made for an excellent looking bike, also matched the chrome really well.

Now all of you can tell me how 'unique' you are with your blacked out motorcycles with blacked-out chrome and blackblackblack-bleh. :p BUT, for those of us who are bored of black-everything motorcycles, I think it looks awesome!

How about y'all? What's your favorite color scheme in the 900 line, now that we've had a few years of choices?
I like this combo. Great color combo, but love my 2010 blue....:D

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Maybe (hopefully) the market is better in the land of hockey and maple syrup than down here in "Just $29.95 a week!" predatory-lending rural Midwestern America.
I can't speak about Canada; but those that are seeking the magic pill aren't limited to rural or Midwestern communities.

To be sure, I think our left coast is probably the epicenter of our instant gratification culture.

And very little of it has to do with lending institutions.

When our stuff defines us and determines our social worth; most people will spend beyond their means.:bulgy-eyes:

Maurice has some nice bikes. They probably won't be bought by an impulse buyer anyway, at least not the trailer bike combo.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't speak about Canada; but those that are seeking the magic pill aren't limited to rural or Midwestern communities.

To be sure, I think our left coast is probably the epicenter of our instant gratification culture.

And very little of it has to do with lending institutions.

When our stuff defines us and determines our social worth; most people will spend beyond their means.:bulgy-eyes:

Maurice has some nice bikes. They probably won't be bought by an impulse buyer anyway, at least not the trailer bike combo.

Scott
There's an interesting two-part conundrum out here.

Folks either have ZERO debt and WILL NEVER, and are into their 60's without any credit history. (Back in a time when all of the family would chip in when you got married to buy you a house the cost $8,000 and you just added onto it as the kids grew, and lived in it your whole life). They pay cash for everything and won't even get a debit card.

Then you have the folks who don't have a dime to their name but the banks will gladly write them a check. Maybe I shouldn't be so brash but I tried to sell an old beat-up Saturn I had in high school for like $1,500, slightly below it's book value. I had several people look at it and want it, but the bank wouldn't give them a loan on a car that old. And that's been my experience, anyway; you're at the mercy of the bank when it comes to selling and pricing vehicle, seemingly of any price (but definitely above $3,000). It's whatever they'll give.

My brother in law is a police officer and was telling me the other day, that he has written dozens of tickets for people in BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus, etc., automobiles with no plates on. Their reason? They didn't realize how much the sales tax was going to be and didn't have the money. Missouri assesses a sales tax, and so do most counties and municipalities. You get a 30 day temp tag and in that 30 days you need to get the title changed over (or turn in the certificate of origin if new), and go to the DMV with your proof of insurance and pay the sales tax (and pay for the plates, here it's $25/year).

Well, they buy a $70,000 car on credit, with no money down!!!! (According to my bro in law, they've told him they've gotten loans like that for their cars), and find out the taxes are around $7,000-$8,000 for this automobile, that they need to come up with in order to get their plates. Some states collect the sales tax at the dealerships and will even roll it into the loans, but not here; or at least if they do it's not common (I've never had that experience). You buy the vehicle, then pay the taxes at your local DMV (because the sales tax is dependent on where the vehicle will spend 51% of it's time, not where it was purchased.)

I know people are struggling and the economy is tough, but what irks me, is the instant gratification. These folks owe it to themselves and their families to go out and buy a decent used car, they don't need and can't afford a mercedes, even if the bank says they can. Chances are, they have good credit and have never missed a payment, but they might have missed a meal because of that payment!

I remember in high school a girl was working at McDonalds part time and went out and bought a brand-spanking-new Mustang GT. She was so proud of herself for going out and buying her own car. Of course she paid a couple hundred bucks a MONTH for insurance on top of something like a $400/month loan payment. Well, when you live at home and have zero expenses you can afford a $600/month car on a McDonalds salary. But guess what? She found out 5 year loans go beyond high school, and she can't move out or do ANYTHING until it's paid off! She let it go into default. So, she gets to start her adult life with nasty credit, no money, and no car!

Okay, okay, rant over!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Yea, I came up dirt poor and by the sweat of my brow and sacrifice of my time; I have done pretty well for myself.
I thank God and understand that not everyone is so lucky.

My wife has worked for a non-profit credit counseling company and now works for an Elite private school.
I am always amazed at how terrible people are with their money.
If you don't have any, well that's one thing.:p

But, the number of people who make more than six figures a year that are one step away from financial ruin simply amazes me.
If you can afford to pay 25,000 a year to put a couple of kids in private school, you should be able to pay your bills on time. :) I guess I am just out of touch with the norm.;)

Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
Favourite Color

I have the 09 900 LT in the black / blue and I have have to say I have had many people tell me at rest stops, parking lots, and multiple times in traffic (rolling down windows to yell at me) that they love the color of my bike...
I am very proud of this. I fell in love with the color scheme when I first saw it on the earlier model year of the 1600 LT. I was waiting for it to come back on the 900LT a couple of years later and I was ready to go for it!

My 2 cents worth!

BTW, re the financial issue, credit has been a blessing for the past 100 years..... how else can you buy something once .. and pay for it 2-3 times!
It used to be called debt! but that make people scared so they saved for purchases, so it got re-branded "Credit" and viola!
(just like the "Tar sands" being re-branded the "Oil sands"... you can call it whatever you want, its just a marketing term promoted by Big Oil because it "sounds nicer" than the truth!)

Have a great day! Remember, summer is almost here!

·
Administrator
12,004 Posts
I am always amazed at how terrible people are with their money.
Scott
Moons ago, I worked for a lending (General Finance) company and they were always pushing consolidation loans. We did a ton of loans paying off people's credit card debt some reaching up to the 20k mark. It was not uncommon to write such a loan to pay off all their credit cards only to have them come back in a year's time, yup, with the cards all loaded up again asking, "hey, can you guys do that consolidation thingy again?". :eek:

·
Registered
698 Posts
But, the number of people who make more than six figures a year that are one step away from financial ruin simply amazes me.

Scott
A bit OT but yeah - I went out with a girl who worked as a debt counsellour (you know - they try & sort you out if heading for financial ruin). A goodly proportion of her customers were doctors & teachers. The common thread apart from eduycation & good income was that they did not know how much money they made & did not know how much money they spend. Duh.

A mate of mine (late 50s) has just bought a motor home ($100k) totally from borrowed money & he is paying interest only. Difference though is that he can afford the interest and has money to live on and can sell the MH later without too much capital losss. Borrowing is fine if you know what you are doing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts