Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Cosby,TN, northeast of Gatlingburg, take hwy 32 east to the NC line. It's 11 miles of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear ONLY twisties. If you fall off the mountain, there's no hope for you. Really.

Once you cross into NC, the road is 1397, GRAVEL. After some miles, you come to national forest service road 288 and turn left. MORE gravel, but some of the most beautiful mountain backroads you'd ever want to see. This finally brings you out to I-40 east of Newport. At the interstate, you cross the Pigeon river (see pic).

From there, we rode HOURS of nothing but gravel mountain roads. Round Mountain Road was but one of them, where we found this cabin on the side of the moutain (see pic).

We ended up in Del Rio,TN, took blacktop all the way back to Elizabethton,TN.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what are you riding? I doubt we'll go back there, off the blacktop, anyway, on bikes. Saw LOTS of Jeeps today on those roads, the IDEAL form of transportation up there
Some Harley rider posted a video on You Tube, he called 32 the Dixie Highway, he rode it from much further away to the NC line. His video seemed to stop at the TN / NC state line where it turned to gravel.

·
Registered
814 Posts
what are you riding? I doubt we'll go back there, off the blacktop, anyway, on bikes. Saw LOTS of Jeeps today on those roads, the IDEAL form of transportation up there
Some Harley rider posted a video on You Tube, he called 32 the Dixie Highway, he rode it from much further away to the NC line. His video seemed to stop at the TN / NC state line where it turned to gravel.
I'll be on my trusty lil Vulcan 500. She doesn't tolerate thick gravel or sand very well due to the narrow front wheel & street tires, but the rider has a lot to do with that too. Those little traveled off the beaten track roads do offer up some unspoiled, real life settings. That's real adventure riding.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adventure? LOL, yea, trying to go up a rather steep, dirt, wet, mountain road, two up on a V2K? Naw, make that FOOLISH.
The gravel was limestone, not thick at all. But any opportunity to ride a mountain road vs interstate is well worth it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's a great area. I lived outside Newport Tennessee for several years. Just up from Cosby. Also had connections in Asheville and so used to ride quite often through there. Ex wife had family in Maggie Valley. That is a great little museum. I'm up in extreme South Eastern Kentucky now temporarily near Whitesburg. I can ride straight South through VA. And into Johnson City in about 1.5 hours. Would love to find some folks to ride with a few times this year when the weather breaks. I have a 2007 Vulcan 900 classic right now. I picked up a huge nail a couple weeks ago so she is down for the winter I think. It was time for me to do the lifter adjust anyway. Speaking of that... Anyone know anyone between Eastern KY and wise VA. that will do a good job on the new back tire, tube, rim strip. I will be taking in the rear wheel off the bike. I went with a night dragon 170\80 to try and drop my revs a bit. Seems to be working pretty well on that bike from what I hear. I think the 200 route is just overkill, although it looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
greetings !
The wife and I have a 2nd home just east of Johnson City, I ride an '07 V2K, her's is a matching color '08 VN 900 Classic LT.
As we "speak," we're waiting for the freezing temps to cut us some slack so we can ride, probably tomorrow, it appears.
Come on down, ride the backroads with us, free lunch included.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've ridden that road many times. The gravel part is only a mile or so and it's not thick or deep gravel. I rode it on a 900 Classic LT, and also on my Voyager with no problem. There's a great swimming hole up there, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts