Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting C4-5-6 in the cervical spine fused on the 24th, and some other tidbits they'll scope out while in there. Gave the bike a nice wash and wax job today, and a ride. Putting the cover on shortly for it's long rest in the garage. Got enough meds left to take off Mon-Wed and finish beating the crap out of spine on the boat, then "winterize" that toy too. It's gonna be a long summer, but at least I stocked the frig on adult beverages to ease the misery until the halo comes off in late August. Already had 3 lumbar surgeries, working on the top end of the spine now.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Getting C4-5-6 in the cervical spine fused on the 24th, and some other tidbits they'll scope out while in there. Gave the bike a nice wash and wax job today, and a ride. Putting the cover on shortly for it's long rest in the garage. Got enough meds left to take off Mon-Wed and finish beating the crap out of spine on the boat, then "winterize" that toy too. It's gonna be a long summer, but at least I stocked the frig on adult beverages to ease the misery until the halo comes off in late August. Already had 3 lumbar surgeries, working on the top end of the spine now.
Baitis, best of luck with your upcoming surgeries. Do what the doc tells you to do so you can get plenty more years of riding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
First post here, been lurking for a while. Some good people here. So with that said, best of wishes on your surgery. Had something simular done and it killed me seeing my bikes and boat just sitting there. Just don't rush things, the toys will be there when your Doc says you can play again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wish you the best of luck Baitis. Hope to see you back here soon, to at least poke some fun at us.... Ride the gurney like a scoot!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Listen to your Docs.....and behave yourself...........the bike and boat will be awaiting....

Hope things go well for you.

T

·
Registered
273 Posts
long nap

Good luck with the surgeries. Sounds like you have had some trouble before this? I had some imflamation in the neck area a couple of years ago. That is painful and aggravating not being able to turn your head! I luckily didn't need surgery, had to take the year summer off from riding and golf, time did heal it though I take some Ibuprophen before I take a trip and it seems to help.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Good luck, best of wishes. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the support. No driving for 5 weeks and the rest is unknown for now. I can connect remotely to the company servers so I can keep tabs on my dept; I manage a systems engineering dept. Old injury from a BMX track around 1998; I did a face plant while landing a set of jumps called the "killer doubles". Should have been my first clue. Shock trauma said I shouldn't be here so I guess I got lucky. Should have known better since I was already around 42 and had sold my previous bike and boat in 1991 due to the lower back. Nerve block injections just don't work anymore. Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wishing you the best of outcomes there, Baitis. I hope it goes by quickly for you. Though it's always hard to have to put it away even for a short while, if the final result is easier riding, it should be worth it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been there

Take your time coming back, don't over do it. I had 6- fused in 82 then an S3 a couple years after that, then a double decompression on 4-5 & 5-6 a couple years later (I had a bad day when I was in the 82d Airborne div....after effects).

My neighbor is starting her internship as an MD. From what she has told me, the surgical techniques and some of the potential hardware are wonderful compared to what it use to be.

Remember to build up the neck muscles. You will get less headaches and be riding sooner.

Best wishes

p.s. I decided to give up spinal surgery and try a different hobby :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Best of luck on the surgery. I guess this means you'll be able to spend more time on the internet, keeping everyone out of trouble and answering their questions. Again, good luck. John

·
Registered
600 Posts
Good luck with your proceedure, and if I were you I'd think about shedding the boat. No suspension on those babies.....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lanbo, I stocked up on beer yesterday but put a hurting on it just removing the boat cover and loading fishing gear last night. I've got straws :D

Viva: Not an option. I've had boats as long as I've had bikes (1972?). Downsizing from a 28ft cabin cruiser to 17ft center console took some adjusting but starting a family and going camping a lot meant I needed to eliminate slip fee's. The boat is actually easier on the spine since you use your knee's to absorb the shock...I could slow down but that isn't any fun. The bike is my windy day toy.

Hopefully I'll have some pix tomorrow of the last voyage. I usually do 1500 miles a year on the boat, I'm at 45 miles for this year due to the spine :(

·
Registered
657 Posts
OUCH!!! As one who works in orthopedics I can appreciate what you're facing. I guess I should tell you now that both s3x and/or alcohol will severly slow down the healing of bones!!! (not really, but I would be cautious about it all). You must have had one messed up spine to have gone through all of that. I sincerely hope this will be the last one... seriously!!! Heal quickly and get back to it soon...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are killing my first vacation in several years: listen to the doc, don't rush, no beer, no bike, no boat, no smoking...did I miss anything:D

Wave prediction today is 1ft until afternoon so it's off to the boat ramp to finish damaging my body parts.

Smokin, yea spine surgery is a bad "hobby"; one more lumber (S1) after this and I'll stop at 5.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The mind is the second thing to go.... sure wish I could remember what the first is??? Don't sweat the details. If you lived in California, there's always Medical Marajaweenie!!! It could help you forget about all the good stuff you'd be missing.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somehow prescribed or not I think DoD won't be happy; I've got one hour to report for pee tests now and I'm only a contractor. Funny thing though is that during my last visit I was on pain killers and it never got questioned.

Did almost 100 miles on the fishing on the boat today and it was a bad idea. Neck and shoulder are on fire - gonna be a long night. Nice ride on the Chesapeake Bay but the fishing was very slow. Bike and boat are now put up for long nap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts