Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days back, I went for a putt and found myself 100 miles from no-where. Anyways, nowhere had a coffee shop (of course) and I pulled in and parked next to two other bikes (Harley and a Yamaha) both nice bikes. After I exchanged nods and pleasantries, I went in and got a coffee and came back out. I was talking with the fellas when a road crew pulled up, (dozer, dump-truck etc.) The guys all hopped out, strode over, walked by the other two bikes and circled around mine. The questions began.....first one everytime, "What is it?"...lol...(always means how many cc's). "900" I replied, "wow" One guy said, "it sure "looks" like a big bike". "All I need" I replied. Then the what year, is it easy on gas....all the regular questions. They got their coffee's, circled back around the 9, talked a spell....I finished mine and said my "take it easy's"....and left. I was thinking later that they never once even looked at the other two bikes. It's funny when you look at your bike through another's eyes...ya kinda appreciate it all over again. Well, it's nice to have bragging rights.....lol. Congrats to last months BOTM winner, it kind of exemplifies (to me)...what a beauty these 9's really are.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have had the same experience. The "look" draws them in and once they find out it is a Kawa, only a 900 and the price, they really shake their heads......

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have had the same experience. The "look" draws them in and once they find out it is a Kawa, only a 900 and the price, they really shake their heads......
same here...
and mine is rather stock looking...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
After having mine for a year, without a doubt, I realize that I got a lot of bike for a good price.

I had to go for two rides yesterday. I don't want to get off of it. It has the power I need and the range. Kawi did a great job!

I love the rides to nowhere... and glad to know there are coffee shops there. :)

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Nowhere is my favorite destination too. I'll be glad when they get that road construction finished. LOL
Like my 900 also. Still makes me stop and stare sometimes, at my own bike.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have to admit they are good looking bikes when they are all cleaned up and waxed

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 900 Custom is the Burnt Candy Orange so it garners a lot (or alot Jace will correct me) attention. The color was one of the main reasons that I purchased the bike in the first place so I was pleasantly surprised by the popularity and durability of our Vulcan.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Mine is always too dirty to be that interesting!

But I agree! They are good looking bikes. It's not 'just another Harley', but it's also a little less 'cookie cutter metric'. Somewhere in the middle where it stands out a bit. Those Kawasaki engineers did a great job!

·
Registered
543 Posts
A veteran friend of mine, same age, bought a Harley at about the same time I bought my 900 Classic SE. We met halfway between our homes for breakfast. He got there first and when he came out he really looked over my bike. He finally asked "How much did it cost you?" He did the "head shake" thing too, saying "I knew I should have looked at something other than a Harley." Not only are the taxes and insurance less for the 900, the cost difference will pay for my taxes and insurance until I decide I can't safely ride any more. He doesn't get anywhere any faster.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A veteran friend of mine, same age, bought a Harley at about the same time I bought my 900 Classic SE. We met halfway between our homes for breakfast. He got there first and when he came out he really looked over my bike. He finally asked "How much did it cost you?" He did the "head shake" thing too, saying "I knew I should have looked at something other than a Harley." Not only are the taxes and insurance less for the 900, the cost difference will pay for my taxes and insurance until I decide I can't safely ride any more. He doesn't get anywhere any faster.
The Harley's aren't without their advantages though. Their dealer network, service, availability of parts and accessories, etc. But you sure to pay a premium for things that may not be a big deal to some people! Not to mention, when comparing the bikes themselves, I and others tend to favor the metric offerings.

Went out for a ride with a friend of ours. He rides a Yamaha and wouldn't be caught dead on a Harley, and his wife rides a Harley and wouldn't be caught dead on a Metric! (Opposites attract, eh?). But his wife said something that made he and I both look at each other.

Stopping for lunch on our ride she said "You know, I might own a Metric, but there's nothing I can buy that makes me feel proud to own it". I said, "What do you mean?" She said "You know, like if I could buy a Yamaha T-Shirt or a Yamaha cellphone cover or a Yamaha bumper sticker I might be interested in owning one, don't the metric riders care that there's no T-shirts for their bikes?" Her husband and I (and my metric riding wife) all simultaneously said "Uhh.. no!"

I mean, I'd buy a Vulcan T-Shirt, if I was shopping for a T-shirt, and it was cheap, and right there... but choosing the brand of motorcycle based on the apparel and Tchotchke's available... well that's a new one for me! Hey, different strokes for different folks, I and I DO understand it. I'm not gonna bash that mentality at all! But it's why metric owners will never understand why someone would buy a Harley, and Harley owners will never understand why a metric owner would buy a metric. Two different mentalities, two different worlds!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dealer network. Our local Kawasaki / Yamaha dealer has been around since the 1960's. Took over from his Dad and his adult son also works there. Good guys. Honest. A rarity. Sales, parts, shop, etc. Rides what he sells.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Yesterday I have TWO people yell at me "NICE BIKE" from their cars.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ride with a few guys from work (one rides a BMW 1000something, one rides a GSXR1000, one rides a Busa, and the other a harley 883) and my 900 custom turns just as many heads and gets as much if not more attention than any of the other bikes (even with the GSXR and Busa having LED lights all over the place). Wait till I upgrade the exhaust.......

·
Registered
372 Posts
Go easy on the Harley guys, at least they have a ride.

I rode up almost to Hoover Dam last Monday and then hiked down to Arizona Hot Springs. Nice spot, unless you don't like deserts. I got 50 mpg. There is lots of nowhere to ride to around here.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A few days back, I went for a putt and found myself 100 miles from no-where. Anyways, nowhere had a coffee shop (of course) and I pulled in and parked next to two other bikes (Harley and a Yamaha) both nice bikes. After I exchanged nods and pleasantries, I went in and got a coffee and came back out. I was talking with the fellas when a road crew pulled up, (dozer, dump-truck etc.) The guys all hopped out, strode over, walked by the other two bikes and circled around mine. The questions began.....first one everytime, "What is it?"...lol...(always means how many cc's). "900" I replied, "wow" One guy said, "it sure "looks" like a big bike". "All I need" I replied. Then the what year, is it easy on gas....all the regular questions. They got their coffee's, circled back around the 9, talked a spell....I finished mine and said my "take it easy's"....and left. I was thinking later that they never once even looked at the other two bikes. It's funny when you look at your bike through another's eyes...ya kinda appreciate it all over again. Well, it's nice to have bragging rights.....lol. Congrats to last months BOTM winner, it kind of exemplifies (to me)...what a beauty these 9's really are.
I was eating lunch at Strokers in Dallas and Rick the owner was walking around and walked between my 900 and my buddies Harley . He stopped and took a look at my 900 .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was riding my 900 around the greater Slidell area one weekend. When a gentleman stopped next to me at the red light driving a vintage Pontiac. (Very nice car with a nice sound) We looked at each other and our rides, when I nodded he said “Would you like to trade?” I grinned and said “very nice car, but no thanks.” Truth is, if I wanted a vintage muscle car, I would have bought one. What I wanted was a head turning motorcycle....and that’s what I got!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The Harley's aren't without their advantages though. Their dealer network, service, availability of parts and accessories, etc. But you sure to pay a premium for things that may not be a big deal to some people! Not to mention, when comparing the bikes themselves, I and others tend to favor the metric offerings.

Went out for a ride with a friend of ours. He rides a Yamaha and wouldn't be caught dead on a Harley, and his wife rides a Harley and wouldn't be caught dead on a Metric! (Opposites attract, eh?). But his wife said something that made he and I both look at each other.

Stopping for lunch on our ride she said "You know, I might own a Metric, but there's nothing I can buy that makes me feel proud to own it". I said, "What do you mean?" She said "You know, like if I could buy a Yamaha T-Shirt or a Yamaha cellphone cover or a Yamaha bumper sticker I might be interested in owning one, don't the metric riders care that there's no T-shirts for their bikes?" Her husband and I (and my metric riding wife) all simultaneously said "Uhh.. no!"

I mean, I'd buy a Vulcan T-Shirt, if I was shopping for a T-shirt, and it was cheap, and right there... but choosing the brand of motorcycle based on the apparel and Tchotchke's available... well that's a new one for me! Hey, different strokes for different folks, I and I DO understand it. I'm not gonna bash that mentality at all! But it's why metric owners will never understand why someone would buy a Harley, and Harley owners will never understand why a metric owner would buy a metric. Two different mentalities, two different worlds!
You know, I have lots of friends that are very loyal to Harley Davidson, and I get it. I actually will probably get one in a few years - I just haven't decided which one I want, and I want to get something that I'm sure I'd like. My guy actually almost bought one the other day, but decided to wait until next week to look at a few other dealerships.

When you get around those bikes, you figure out very quickly why people love them. They're pricey for a reason, I think. There's none of the chinsy plastic trim like you see on our motorcycles (don't get me wrong - I love my Vulcan, but they are cheaply built in this area). The chrome is all real chrome, and they're built to last. And, they actually hold their value like no other motorcycle. Not very often can you buy a motorcycle, put 20,000 miles on it over 3 or 4 years, and then sell it for 70-80% of what you paid for it. You almost always can with HD, though. Except for the Sportster. . . not the bike to buy if you want it to keep its value. Lol.

The reason we've decided to go the HD route eventually is really the parts availability (factory and aftermarket), the dealer network that you mentioned, the warranty protection that HD offers, and the fact that it is an American brand. We've both had our bikes down while we wait for parts for weeks at a time - you should have seen the trouble that Lloyd had to go through to locate a broken clutch cable. Over 2 weeks, the part was on back-order He had to finally track one down in New Mexico, and have it shipped. That would never happen with a HD. There are dozens of other companies that make aftermarket parts that would have sufficed. I think that was his final straw, because that could very easily have happened out halfway to Florida or Texas or something, but luckily it was about an hour from home, on his way BACK from an out-of-state run. And he had brothers with him to make a fix on the side of the road (which apparently consisted of speed shifting, duct tape, and a pair of vice grips. Lol.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that there are a lot of reasons that make people so proud to flaunt their Harley Davidson motorcycles. My Vulcan is hot, and it does turn heads. Well, as long as the cheap tank paint keeps it's luster, and I don't put any scratches on my Shiney but plastic head covers and speedometer bezel . LMAO.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You know, I have lots of friends that are very loyal to Harley Davidson, and I get it. I actually will probably get one in a few years - I just haven't decided which one I want, and I want to get something that I'm sure I'd like. My guy actually almost bought one the other day, but decided to wait until next week to look at a few other dealerships.

When you get around those bikes, you figure out very quickly why people love them. They're pricey for a reason, I think. There's none of the chinsy plastic trim like you see on our motorcycles (don't get me wrong - I love my Vulcan, but they are cheaply built in this area). The chrome is all real chrome, and they're built to last. And, they actually hold their value like no other motorcycle. Not very often can you buy a motorcycle, put 20,000 miles on it over 3 or 4 years, and then sell it for 70-80% of what you paid for it. You almost always can with HD, though. Except for the Sportster. . . not the bike to buy if you want it to keep its value. Lol.

The reason we've decided to go the HD route eventually is really the parts availability (factory and aftermarket), the dealer network that you mentioned, the warranty protection that HD offers, and the fact that it is an American brand. We've both had our bikes down while we wait for parts for weeks at a time - you should have seen the trouble that Lloyd had to go through to locate a broken clutch cable. Over 2 weeks, the part was on back-order He had to finally track one down in New Mexico, and have it shipped. That would never happen with a HD. There are dozens of other companies that make aftermarket parts that would have sufficed. I think that was his final straw, because that could very easily have happened out halfway to Florida or Texas or something, but luckily it was about an hour from home, on his way BACK from an out-of-state run. And he had brothers with him to make a fix on the side of the road (which apparently consisted of speed shifting, duct tape, and a pair of vice grips. Lol.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that there are a lot of reasons that make people so proud to flaunt their Harley Davidson motorcycles. My Vulcan is hot, and it does turn heads. Well, as long as the cheap tank paint keeps it's luster, and I don't put any scratches on my Shiney but plastic head covers and speedometer bezel . LMAO.

Hey, I actually like the plastic chrome! It doesn't pit and dull like metal chrome does! :p

I'm not at all saying there aren't reasons to buy HD. On the contrary- it's just that the reasons are different reasons. You don't buy a metric for the reasons you buy an HD, likewise you don't buy a Harley for the reasons you buy a metric. Hence my point with that friend of mine- she doesn't understand why we ride bikes we can't match our wardrobe too, and we don't understand why she doesn't just worry more about the bike and less about her fashion! LOL.

They are good bikes, don't get me wrong. And I'm far from brand loyal, this is capitalist America, they need to EARN my business by providing the best product at a reasonable price! When I feel like I'm ready for a different bike, it might be an H-D, might not be! Just depends on who has what and what does what I want it to do!

Oh and I definitely understand the pride thing. I mean if I owned a Harley, I'd probably own a T-Shirt or two or something. But; likewise, I don't CARE that there isn't a lot of 'stuff' for my Vulcan. It doesn't make the bike run any slower because my T-Shirt says "St.Louis Cardinals" instead of "Kawasaki Vulcan"!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts