Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
And with little exception its a black and blue year. If you like color you won't be buying a Kawi this year. Friggin black sucks. I wish the pseudo, wish I was a bad ass biker, gotta have a black pos bike guys would all get a life so we could get some decent colors on a bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So if I go with white wall tires my Classic becomes a rare 2009 Classic SE? I don't see any other differences other than mine is the red.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And with little exception its a black and blue year. If you like color you won't be buying a Kawi this year. Friggin black sucks. I wish the pseudo, wish I was a bad ass biker, gotta have a black pos bike guys would all get a life so we could get some decent colors on a bike.
Whats wrong with Black I like black

·
Registered
231 Posts
There's nothing "wrong" with black....'cept it shows every little mark and scratch!!
My other bike is black.
Never Again.....:mad:

Seems to me that the 11's are the same as the 06,07,08,09 and 10's, which isn't really a bad thing. If you have a good basic design....why change it?
Of course, if they ever offer a six-speed gearbox, I'll be allllll over that like a bum on a bologna sandwich!!!:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Of course, if they ever offer a six-speed gearbox, I'll be allllll over that like a bum on a bologna sandwich!!!:D
+1

On the JetSki side of power ports, owners laugh about the BNG.

(Bold New Graphics)

IMHO, white walls too hard to keep clean. Moreover, the only way to keep a bike sparkle clean, is don't let it leave the garage......

Stop waxing and go ride !

·
Registered
976 Posts
Black sucks. A large chunk of guys buy it because they think it makes them look badass. In fact it just blows chim-pahn-zee.

As another negative, that was already brought up, it does show every spec of dirt/scratch, and damage. That blows too. It's fine as an accent, the Candy Fire Red and black Voyager/Vaquero is sharp looking. I would have gone with a brighter red, but the one used is more reserved. You can't really see it on the website but I've seen pictures of it off of the VROC site.

I know the blue is pretty good and the Blue and Silver Nomad looks like a keeper. Not as beautiful as the se V2000 with the silver frame, but darn close. The rest, grey on black, black on black, boring, contemptible, wannabe black.

I wouldn't fit with the Emo and Goth crowd, at all.

·
Registered
976 Posts
It'll have to be a totally different engine/transmission AND the top gear WON'T change, they just shoe horn another gear inbetween the ones you have.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can't see any cosmetic changes at all on the Custom model.

Speaking of black, check out the Custom SE...now *that's* black! They even ditched the orange accents.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Whats wrong with Black I like black
I'd like black a whole lot more if it wasn't so overdone. In fact, a beautiful, all flat-black paint job just tugs at my heart strings. Problem is, there are a million and six black bikes in my city alone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The custom looks pretty much the same as the 09/10. Except (maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me) but the handlebars look a little more curved?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Your eyes ARE playing tricks on you. I don't know about the handlebars but your eyes sent me a text message last night saying they were going to pull one over on you sometime today.

You know, when you get right down to it, I don't feel comfortable with them contacting me about such trivial things. Could you have a talking with them?

·
Registered
231 Posts
It'll have to be a totally different engine/transmission AND the top gear WON'T change, they just shoe horn another gear inbetween the ones you have.
You might be right. I know HD changed to a six-speed box a couple of years back EXCEPT ON MY MODEL!!! :( , but I'm not enough of a MC geek to have looked up whether or not it changed the final ratio in the top gear. I know that the new transmission is pretty popular with that crowd.
I think that the 900 has the grunt for sixth cog. Of all the complaints I've read about with the Scootworks upgrade(s) none have addressed a lack of spunk in the lower gears - and the 10-11 percent change in that mod---assuming you do front and rear, is still being powered through a five-speed gearbox.
The reason we still roll a five-speed is $$$$. Kawi iron works figures if you always do what you always did, then you'll always get what you always got. The VN is a top contender in a very crowded field, and the additional expense of the reworked gearbox would put the price point too far to the right of the competition...
It's always $$$.
When (not if) gasoline shoots up to about 5-6 bucks a gallon, then you'll see a greatly renewed interest in MPG - for which we currently hold the bottom slot in our class, and that will spur the development of a different gearbox (CVT anyone?) This is why cages have 5-6, even 8 speed automatics now.

It's aaaaalways $$$.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
A 6th gear, generally, reduces the final drive a tiny bit.

What happens is they move the gears close together so you get (m y experience is from cars, which is the example I am using...)

3.27, 1.98, 1.34, 1.0, 0.68

VS.

2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 0.80 0.62

I don't know if motorcycles are the same, but I would suspect they are similar.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Your eyes ARE playing tricks on you. I don't know about the handlebars but your eyes sent me a text message last night saying they were going to pull one over on you sometime today.

You know, when you get right down to it, I don't feel comfortable with them contacting me about such trivial things. Could you have a talking with them?
LOL, you kill me sometimes man!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
When (not if) gasoline shoots up to about 5-6 bucks a gallon, then you'll see a greatly renewed interest in MPG - for which we currently hold the bottom slot in our class, and that will spur the development of a different gearbox (CVT anyone?) This is why cages have 5-6, even 8 speed automatics now.
Bottom slot in our class for MPG? I can't say that I've ever researched that side of it, but I know I can get 46 mpg when my right wrist gets a little heavy, 48 during typical riding, and up to 54 if I'm a conscientious sort and ride with MPG in mind. In fact, 43 is the lowest I've gotten, and that was when I was in an ornery mood and running on winter mix fuel.

Looking it up now, I notice that the V-Star 950 only boasts 47 mpg, which is right in line with the Kawi 900. From the Harley forums I quickly checked, most of them report between 40-50 mpg as well?

Although I don't mind the speeds I choose (usually 75mph or less, with enough juice to overtake when needed) with my 5 speed and 200/70-15 rear tire, I wouldn't mind a 6th gear for a little less RPM on the highway. I may just end up combining a rear sprocket change with my slightly bigger tire and just living with it, though, as it's not all that uncomfortable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The black on my 2010 SE is great no wax just wash and go. (Come to the darkside Luke) Uh where was I at? oh yeah I was at the dealership where I bought my 900 they had a 2010 in red It would have been a tough choice if that was there when I bought my SE.

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thing is, with the HD they unbolt the one transmission and bolt in the new one. The tranny on the 900 is part of the engine casing. There would have to be a whole redsign of the engine to get a new tranny in there, so, no new tranny.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts