Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I already posted a "thank you" message, but I'll say it again. I really appreciate the advice and help you've rendered.

My buddy and I took a motorcycle camping trip from SW Ohio to SE, Ohio, Lake Vesuvius, Ironton, OH two weekends ago. I couldn't tell you the daily totals, but the three day trip, one down, one riding, one back put about 420 miles on Persephone. She ran like a Timex. No glitches, no stumbling, not a drop of oil or any weirdness. I was hyper-aware of every little noise, every vibration the bike made; I had completely forgotten how "thumpy" the twin is.

We didn't really take any riding pictures; I was focusing on just enjoying it and knocking off the rust. Despite a comical looking load on the '500 (fleece eats up space), the Vulcan handled it with aplomb with nothing more than an extra click on the pre-load. Mileage was spot on, giving no less than 50 MPG.

I have to give an enthusiastic endorsement for the Aerostitch "WarmBib". It's literally just an electric "bib" with a velcro neck collar, but it was spectacular at killing zipper wind and providing far more heat than I had anticipated. It's a good match for the Vulcan, only drawing 30 watts. The price is also pretty decent too. We departed for home Sunday A.M in the low 40s, encountering fog off and on that left me damp. Once I switched to my winter gloves, I was reasonably comfortable at 60 mph. There's no way I could have continued in those temps without it.

About to head out Friday morning:

Breakfast view from the campsite, Saturday morning:

Pre-ride hike:

Kick-butt fire that night (flask of Captain Morgan Private Stock not pictured). The stars were spectacular:

Plush Duck "Riding Buddy" we found abandoned at our campsite. Had it bungeed to the back of my bike, flapping wildly on the way home. Pictured after the ride home along the mighty Ohio river.

It still feels weird to have a perfectly functioning motorcycle in the garage. Of course the crap weather set in the day after we got back and hasn't relented yet.

...now, the old neglected Nighthawk is next...

Thanks folks,

Doug

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think the tank bag is "Iron Rider", but I can't really recommend it. It has blown off twice because the speedometer console lifts it up. Both times, it was a two lane state route and a fuel tanker going the other direction. I had a short strap around it and under the steering stem as insurance this time. The pad is a Saddlemen size large "Tech Comfort Gel Pad". It looks stupid and the price is kind of hard to swallow (I'm cheap, it's a butt-pad), but it makes a HUGE difference once you get it adjusted right, which takes some fiddly trial and error. It's scooted too far back in that picture...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts