Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding about a year or so ago. Bought all the gear in textile. On the plus side, my textile gear is both protective and water proof. That being said, I feel a bit "outside" the culture by not wearing leather.

I think I know what most of you would say, just hard for me to invest in a second set of riding gear.

Thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you wanna get leather, get leather. I prefer textile (actually a pretty cheap one) for 4 years or so. Love the zipper vents for warm, liner for cold, armor for just in case.

Just reread my post. Didn't mean it to sound snotty - just meant, if you want leather, get leather :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I got denim Draggin' Jeans with Kevlar lining. Also got the hip and knee inserts but haven't used them. Got some heavy suspenders from Tractor Supply to hold the Jeans up. Looking forward to denim Draggin' jacket next month.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Thinking leather is more of a harley tradition taken on by other riders, now that harley parts are being made in China, I'd say give it a little while longer, textiles will become more popular. LOL

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I much prefer textile myself. Leather lacks armor (usually) where textile usually has it. And a good, modern, textile setup offers nearly the same protection.

Plus, you'll be glad you've got that textile when the temps hit the triple digits!

But, if you want leather get it! Certainly nothing wrong with it. I got a nice leather jacket at a bike show for $30 used. You can find deals! I don't ever ride with that jacket I just use it for a winter coat, but, point being, it can be found!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think leather is still the best protection from road rash but textile is good and a helluva lot better than nothing but a tee shirt, and might be cooler too. That said, my leather jacket has zip out textile side panels that go all the way from wrist to waist on each side (Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0). My riding over pants are textile (Rocktex??).

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think leather is still the best protection from road rash but textile is good and a helluva lot better than nothing but a tee shirt, and might be cooler too. That said, my leather jacket has zip out textile side panels that go all the way from wrist to waist on each side (Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0). My riding over pants are textile (Rocktex??).
Absolutely. No man made fabrics Can out do leather of similar thickness and weight. But some heavy textile (not mesh) can come close. A general rule of thumb us anything above 600 denier (1000D+ if possible), solid, not mesh, will offer ample abrasion protection even at highway speeds. Ive read 1000 denier thick textile materials made from stuff like Carboflex and Kevlar have 90% the abrasive strength of leather the same thickness.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That is probably why the armor got started, I imagine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Leather Chaps ?

My next gear purchase will likely be for pants. So I'm looking around and am interested in this thread. What do you all think about leather chaps to go over your regular jeans? Are there chaps with knee and/or hip armor?

·
Registered
450 Posts
My next gear purchase will likely be for pants. So I'm looking around and am interested in this thread. What do you all think about leather chaps to go over your regular jeans? Are there chaps with knee and/or hip armor?
I haven't seen any, but if you check out this thread you will see what some other riders use. I believe that company can put armour in the chaps as well.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Are you set on chaps? I've got some textile overpants with armor (Tourmaster Overpants). Very comfortable and waterproof if you zip the vents up. 600 Denier with 1680 Denier impact panels.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wear what's comfortable for the situation. Not concerned with the "bad-ass biker uniform" look. No vest, no cut, no "Sons of Anarchy" influences.
I've got vented textile for hot weather and leather for cooler days. Both have removable armor in the shoulders and elbows and the textile has additional removable back armor.
You don't have to spend a lot...Leatherup.com has some very affordable decent quality gear.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I wear what's comfortable for the situation. Not concerned with the "bad-ass biker uniform" look. No vest, no cut, no "Sons of Anarchy" influences.
I've got vented textile for hot weather and leather for cooler days. Both have removable armor in the shoulders and elbows and the textile has additional removable back armor.
You don't have to spend a lot...Leatherup.com has some very affordable decent quality gear.
+1. You probably aren't gonna catch me in a hot pink helmet with butterflies on it... but for the most part I'm more concerned with comfort and functionality than looks with my riding gear.

I do have a vest though, for my CMA colors. Also have a PGR patch and a few other little things on there (A Vulcan logo, for example) Don't wear it all the time though.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
+1. You probably aren't gonna catch me in a hot pink helmet with butterflies on it... but for the most part I'm more concerned with comfort and functionality than looks with my riding gear.

I do have a vest though, for my CMA colors. Also have a PGR patch and a few other little things on there (A Vulcan logo, for example) Don't wear it all the time though.
Sorry but I got to chime in on the irony of this. Never been caught wearing it but I have been caught with it strapped to the seat of the V2K or on the handle bars. But is the wife's, not mine.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Hahaha fantastic.

A fellow I ride with bought his wife a Sportster painted hot pink with white and powder blue pin striping complete with little blue and white butterflies. He used to ride it with her on the back to parking lots for her to practice when she first started riding. It's hard to look like a tough guy like that! Now some would call him names for doing that, but I have a different outlook. I think you've gotta be pretty stinking tough to ride a hot pink Harley.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, thanks for your advice. I think for now I am going to buy a vest for so I can wear the patch of the club I ride with, but leave the other stuff for Santa Clause.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
The "culture" I guess says wear black vests, have a gut that sticks out, and a cigarette hanging from your mouth, a peanut shell helmet and chaps, and probably logger boots.

I am a sport bike rider for most of my life. I now own a twin. I almost always choose my leather gear over the textile gear unless it is too hot out for it, which I have a perforated jacket so those days have to be just the real hot ones.

I am a retired road racer. They don't let you on the track with textile. That tells you why I choose leather.

And someone posted in this thread that they prefer textile because leather almost "never" has armor. Wow, what planet is this guy from? I own several leather jackets, and they all have armor and back protectors. I also have two custom made leather jackets. Both have armor, hard armor in some places.

I have a two piece leather suit. Mostly for sport bike riding, but I do occasionally wear it on my twin. Best protection. It was custom made in Japan (Kushitani) and has way thicker leather than the off the rack products sold to main stream buyers. My Kushitani jacket and pants have stretch panels in places where abrasion will not happen, which gives me extra ventilation.

Vanson out of Massachusetts has the best off the rack leather stuff made here. I used one of their race suits when I raced. They also do custom fit stuff.

Yes, the custom made stuff costs a lot. But it is top quality and it fits, as they say, like a glove. Better than 99% of the gloves out there as a matter of fact. But my skin is priceless. I like leather's look, its protection and its feel on me.

Bottom line: spend money on what you want. Textile is economical and very versitile, and if you like it then use that. Don't worry about whether your "look" fits with what you perceive to be the "culture". No one really cares. Those preoccupied with what others think of them are just wasting mental energy because the only opinion about you that matters is yours.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldnt give two hoots bout culture. I wear what's safe and comfortable. I do own a black leather jacket but that's cause I grew up on punk rock and thrash metal. Way before I started riding. I have a textile for Warmer days and slider jeans. Also have motorcycle high tops to protect my ankles and toes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 11.0 Textile

With all the following features, I feel that I get the best of all the worlds. Unzip the outer shell for a full mesh jacket with all the armor. Waterproof liner, and a quilted liner, I can have both in or just one. There is so many ways to wear this jacket, and I love how it fits.

WATER RESISTANT ROCK TEX™ 600 OUTER SHELL
YKK ZIPPERS
REMOVABLE KNOX C.E. APPROVED SHOULDER AND ELBOW PROTECTORS
REMOVABLE KNOX C.E. APPROVED SPINE PROTECTOR
META SPORT SYSTEM™ FEATURES REMOVABLE PANELS THAT REVEAL FREE-AIR™ MESH
REMOVABLE DRY TECH™ WATERPROOF LINER
REMOVABLE FULL SLEEVE INSULATED LINER
CROSS LINKED VARIABLE FLOW™ VENTILATION SYSTEM
SURE FIT™ SLEEVE ADJUSTERS
SURE FIT™ WAIST ADJUSTERS
8” ZIPPER FOR PANT ATTACHMENT
REFLECTIVE TRIM