Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update:
Proposed date: Saturday, April 22, 2023

List of possible attendees:
@CarGuy

@IC3/SS and wife
@bikerbill
@Lesblank and wife

A few years ago , 2020, I tried to put together a Meet and Greet. Unfortunately didn't have enough interest to put one together. I think we have enough members here to put one together. So let's start planning. First thing needs to be location. This would be a one day event, we ride to location, eat, do a short group ride and head home. It works out well for the some riders to meet up and ride together. Most of y'all know I'm also staff on the StarBike forum and we did a Meet and Greet that turned out pretty nice. Not that I want to copy that event, but is a good starting point. We picked Belton Lake as the location. Reason being it's centrally located among the three largest metropolitan areas, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Yes, I know many of you live outside the 100 mile radius on map.

Ecoregion Map World Line Parallel

Location can definitely be discussed if y'all think a better location would work better. Once we set a location maybe a few of us could go and check it out to ensure it would suit our needs.

We can pick a local BBQ, burger place or something like that. There's several in that area that are good.

Sometime in the spring would be best, weather wise, before it got to hot. Plus give everyone time to put it on you calendar.

This would be a family event so spouses would be welcome.

So thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Come on, this could really be a great event.

·
Administrator "Loose Nut"
Bandera, Texas
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, we have some interest growing.

A few questions:

So does Belton Lake seem like a good middle meeting point?

Think we should plan after daylight savings, think this would give riders more time to get home with sun. Sound ok?

Should we open the ride for neighbors or friends you might ride with but not part of forum? This way folks would be in small groups riding in for safety.

We need to spread the word. Not everyone here reads every thread. So call out folks you know are close enough to ride in.

@bikerbill, is this to far for you to come? It would be a long one day trip, but you have done longer.

@CarGuy, saw you liked the post, you interest?

Everyone post your ideas on what you think is the best way to make this happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think Belton is a good choice for a central location. The size of Texas makes anywhere a long way for many. Personally, I don't like the ride there and back (interstates ---- yuk!). But if there's enough interest I would certainly travel there knowing I would meet more of our fellow forum members. No objection to family and/or friends.

Reactions: Lesblank

·
Bandera, Texas
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Belton is a good choice for a central location. The size of Texas makes anywhere a long way for many. Personally, I don't like the ride there and back (interstates ---- yuk!). But if there's enough interest I would certainly travel there knowing I would meet more of our fellow forum members. No objection to family and/or friends.
Thanks for the feedback. I also dislike 35. There's a back way that adds less than 30 minutes. We could meet in Johnson City and ride up together. There's some freeway thru Killeen, but nothing like going up 35.

From my house:

Map World Rectangle Slope Font

From your area:

Ecoregion Map Rectangle World Font

Heck, what's 30 minutes in Texas.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I also dislike 35. There's a back way that adds less than 30 minutes. We could meet in Johnson City and ride up together. There's some freeway thru Killeen, but nothing like going up 35.
Heck, what's 30 minutes in Texas.
281 is always a better alternative to I35, but it can get busy at times too. Nothing like 35 though, especially when going through Austin.

We can certainly meetup in Johnson City. @IC3/SS can join us as well.

Reactions: Lesblank and IC3/SS

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
183 Posts
281 is always a better alternative to I35, but it can get busy at times too. Nothing like 35 though, especially when going through Austin.

We can certainly meetup in Johnson City. @IC3/SS can join us as well.
As you know IH 35 does not bother me a lot. However I hate Austin traffic and am great with the 281 alternative. The know my wife will prefer it as she hates the highway almost as much as you do.

·
Bandera, Texas
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@bikerbill, If given enough notice do you think you could make it. I know you live a fair piece away, but would be nice if you could.

Has anyone given a date a thought? We need to try and stay away from spring breaks so traffic will be lighter. How about a few of y'all throw a date out there. From experience, everyone will not agree on on a date, but majority would rule. Then we need to pick a day, Saturday or Sunday. Some of y'all might work Saturdays, but doing on Saturday will give a day to recover before most would have to go back to work on Monday. Hey, I would love to do it on a weekday, but understand most are working.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
@bikerbill, If given enough notice do you think you could make it. I know you live a fair piece away, but would be nice if you could.
I would be honored to come. It’ll make a nice dayride.

Just give me a few weeks heads up to make arrangements at work and to make sure there aren’t any school functions I have to attend.

·
Bandera, Texas
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would be honored to come. It’ll make a nice dayride.

Just give me a few weeks heads up to make arrangements at work and to make sure there aren’t any school functions I have to attend.
Wow, that's further than I thought.

Ecoregion Map World Rectangle Slope

If you were to come you could go a few hours south to my house, spend the night and head home the next day.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Has anyone given a date a thought? We need to try and stay away from spring breaks so traffic will be lighter. How about a few of y'all throw a date out there. From experience, everyone will not agree on on a date, but majority would rule. Then we need to pick a day, Saturday or Sunday. Some of y'all might work Saturdays, but doing on Saturday will give a day to recover before most would have to go back to work on Monday. Hey, I would love to do it on a weekday, but understand most are working.
Being retired (ahem) I can pretty much make it anytime. I suggest that 2 dates be set, a target date and an backup date. Spring is notorious for cold fronts and wet weather, so having a backup date would enable everyone to plan, in advance, for that date as well.

If you were to come you could go a few hours south to my house, spend the night and head home the next day.
I also make that offer, and our bed has sheets and blankets!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Oh... and pillows. We have pillows!

Reactions: bikerbill

·
Bandera, Texas
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bill, I've seen pictures of you and some how knew food was a weakness. :rolleyes: ;)

Carguy, good one about the sheets and blankets.

Here's April's calendar:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

And local school schedule, spring break looks to be in March.

Font Number Screenshot

Anyone have a few dates in mind?

Belton lake has many pavilions and picnic areas. Maybe CarGuy or others and I can make a run up and check it out one day. Last two years with other groups we didn't reserve a spot. Worked out OK as we just hung out in parking lot under some trees. Here's picture from 2020.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Asphalt

1 - 20 of 36 Posts