Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
rocnrol, I hooked up with them in Kalispell in the AM. We road crossed the Going to the Sun Road, from west to east, then went went down to East Glacier. T they RON'd there and I returned to the Flathead valley via Hwy 2. Was a good ride, had a bit of rain in GNP, but over all a very good day for a ride. ran into had rain on trip home, rainy and cold in the valley today. The guys are heading west today, looks like it'll wet and cold all day. Bummer!!

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Good to hear you had a great ride! Today here is definitely a crappy ride day. We're they riding to Pincher Creek today, or Canmore?

·
Registered
53 Posts
rocnrol, The guys didn't go into Canada, was a couple of them that didn't have the documentation to allow Canadian travel. so they went was out of the Flathead toward Washington, eventually working there way back toward Idaho Falls, ID.
We had lots of rain here most of yesterday as well. Wouldn't have been a real fun day for riding.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Gotcha Wing! Riding here hasn't been all that fun lately, that's for sure. Soggy as all get out.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
@R&R: Sorry it took me so long to answer yur call. We had some issues with documents (mainly ME, I had no idea things were so bad b'tween Mx and CA that it would taker from 2-3 weeks to get a visa and on top of it I had to mail in my passport to do it). I did not ge the visa process in time and one more member (one from Texas, the Thread starter) did not have the passport needed to get across. On top of that there was a storm coming to the Jasper/Canmore area so after we got together we talked it over and it was decided to scratch the Canada leg of the trip.
Worst thing about the change is I was looking forward to meeting you and another guy from the area DR had contacted.
We cancel some of the reservations we had (had to forfeit Ja$per, ouch!!!) and decided to wing it around Montana/ Idaho/ Wash area.
Wing nut help us going trough the Going to the sun Road in style, stopping at the right places and with a lot of data from the park, we had our own park guide. Was really nice getting to meet our friends from the 4m. (thanx a lot WingNut, really appreciated).
That Canada trip is NOT canceled, only postponed, come next December it will be easier to get across 4 us Mexicans (so they say) so I have to get my butt up there again and ride those roads. Maybe some time next year.
I had a very crappy signal from the time I hit the Cal-Nevada desert, almost none existant due to my carrier linking with T-Mob so I could not even give you a call to let you know the change of plans, all I could do is ask WNut to let you know via the 4m.
We will start ride report soon, after I get up to date on my job and famly matters.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Hey Chanoc, no worries! I'm just glad you're trip still worked out for the most part and you were able to still meet some of the forum guys! You're right on the rain, and it's not really let up yet!! Crap! It's really putting a cramp in my riding :(

I like the idea of doing something next year, I'll be able to plan some time off better for that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ride report

Just to share with our friends here in the 4m I will try to do justice to our Summer ride, bare in mind that this was a smaller group than last year's Kawboy invasion in Utah / Arizona / Colorado and for whatever reason the pix turn out to be a lot less, on top of that it seems I am the only remaining member of that possy still active in this forum (various reasons, including the hacking thing and difficult access for some members). SO here it goes:

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

Coming From 3 different directions and actually from 4 different cities, first order of business is getting to the meet point "Twin Falls, ID" Me coming from the South border had to go across the CA/Nevada desert in Mid Summer heat, just off the bat you gotta trust your ride for this.

I encountered hot days, loooooong straiiiiiiiiight stretches of road but excitement for the trip made up for that, chose to take a bypass on Death Valley and ride mid-elevation along side sierras on the east side to my 1st way point where a I would meet DR. He was riding a shorter distance from SF just jumping the CA sierras trough Yosemite to meet me at Tonopah, Nv.

In the afternoon I chose to go down to hte lower elevations of the desert just to go trough a little town called Goldfield Nv (came to find out it almost was the state capital due to being the largest town in Nevada at one point), whatever drew me there was never found but it turn out to be and interesting town, semi-dead, lots of abandoned buildings right on main street. the kind of town you just ride trough or maybe stop for a sip of water b4 getting on yur way but as was about to leave I saw this big West-East bound storm just to hte North of me, hitting Tonopah straight on so I decided to wait it out 4 a while and avoid getting wet on my first day ridding.

Probly the only worst thing to riding into a storm is riding into a storm in the dark. very soon I had to make a choice to either ride wet or wait and ride wet roads in the dark so I got going and rode that storm into town to end my first day with a very dirty bike.

Met up with DR, he had been in town since mid afternoon when it was still dry, so we had dinner while we planned the ride for the next day to Twin Falls.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cus I would be surprised if I get any help with pix from the other guys, here are some more. Bear with me and the amateur photographer that comes out sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Ok, I'm doing this in stages / days for more enjoyment, that way I can re-live it in my head as I go along.

2dn day, there's 2 of us now and still about 450 miles to the meet point, we get going early on our planned route, no matter how much we tried there no way to avoid those long straight roads, we would get 30-40 miles with no turns at all and hardly any other vehicles on the road, very uneventful, one thing I did notice is that the part of highway 50 we ran was absolutely pristine, very nice surface, straight as a laser beam, I enjoyed just the niceness of the road (that's how boring the scenery was). At least there was no rain to be seen, nothing to suggest the previous night's storm.
All in all, having a ridding partner makes the day and miles go a little faster, by mid day the heat remains us we are in the desert and is the middle of Summer, from time to time we exchange messages with the others on their way, Ponch is getting to the meet point b4 us, he's hauling ass in his truck and by early afternoon we find out he's already there fixing to unload his scoot.

We get there late afternoon but with plenty of light still in the day, register at the hotel and meet up with the other 2 riders for dinner and catch up with stores of our approach.
The main thing decided is we scratch the Canada leg of the trip. Some visas did not get done and there are some storms coming for the Jasper-Canmore area we were planning on riding.

We decide to stay with the plan all the way to Glacier NP and then just wing it day by day around ID, MT and WA.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
@ Roc&Roll:

R&R:

Hello from way down south, hope you been well and ridding many miles.

I already started talking with Poncho about doing the Canada trip next year, we still plan to visit the Waterton /Banff area and ridding up to Jasper National park. Rest of the trip is still on the "planning" stage, we are thinking on going west and ride Vancouver island as a come back to the US route.

I would appreciate your help on weather concerns, as of now we are thinking of last 2 weeks of August and the first 2 weeks of September as our window to get the best weather (at least dry and not too cold). I know is always a crap-shoot but your advice on the issue can be of great help. what do you think is the best time to schedule the trip? We figure it would be about 8-10 days departing from Salt Lake City and maybe take us 3 days to get to get to the border and Waterton area (easy going, stop and smell the roses thing).

I already got my wife exited about the trip so if everything goes right I'll be ridding 2 up and hauling the trailer, we are so set on going next year that even if for some reason Ponch does not come I still do my best to get up there, it'll be a blast if you can join us for part of the trip.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
This is great news Chanoc!!

Just for weather reference, the last couple of days have been in the 20's, (Celsius remember ) today was really crappy, around 10*c with some showers, but typically, September can still be hot, so your dates can be good, if you can do more in August, the better. I typically ride right to the end of October before the bike gets put away.

This is a great heads up, the wife and I would love to do this with you guys. Just so happens we're kinda planing our 20th anniversary for next year, and we were talking about riding around in Arizona for a couple of weeks. We get this right, we could probably ride back up to Canada together

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
@R&R:

We are targeting the 2nd to 3rd week of August for this trip, I am thinking I would pro'bly take off around 13-14 Aug but it might take me 3-4 days to get to the meeting point, still up in the air if Salt Lake City, UT or Helena, MT, depends on the Texas hauler and how many bikes / how much time off they have.

I am setting aside around 3 weeks for this trip and the Texas crew (in reality looks to be only Ponch) would only join for the Canada part of the trip, it is looking we would launch from helena, ride trough Glacier National Park and cross over to spend 2 nites at Waterton NP camping (so we get to ride the park and do some hiking), then head to Lake Louise/Banf area and maybe repeat the ride and hike thing (suggestions are welcome on best use of time).

From there we head over to Jasper and do a couple of nites there too. we are thinking to head to Kamloops in a relaxed fashion or maybe even to Kelowna for a last dinner together B4 Ponch has to head back to US side to get back home (that would make for about 7 nites/ 8 days of ridding covering about 900 miles). with the ride from and to Texas it will take him 12-13 days.

I know we are no covering much mileage on the Canada side, up to that point, but I hope we are covering the best part of the area. I've made it a point of not ridding trough the Majestic N. Parks without getting to know them a little at least.

From there My wife and I would take North again to ride the 99 hwy all the way to Squamish then take a series of ferrys to the middle of Vancouver Island at Courtenay, ride down to Victoria and jump the puddle to US at Port Angels.

At that point We would need a couple of days rest before we head on the journey down the coast, with some ventures inland, we do not want to miss Crater Lake.

I figure the ride back home will take 'nother week.

Let me know if I am misjudging any of the roads or if you have any sites or rides we should miss and if this time table works for you to ride some days with us. We are still adjusting schedules and coordinating between us so any suggestions are most welcome.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Chanoc,

I'll put those dates in my calendar. We should be able to get together for sure.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
@R&R:

From there My wife and I would take North again to ride the 99 hwy all the way to Squamish then take a series of ferrys to the middle of Vancouver Island at Courtenay, ride down to Victoria and jump the puddle to US at Port Angels.

At that point We would need a couple of days rest before we head on the journey down the coast, with some ventures inland, we do not want to miss Crater Lake.

I figure the ride back home will take 'nother week.

Let me know if I am misjudging any of the roads or if you have any sites or rides we should miss and if this time table works for you to ride some days with us. We are still adjusting schedules and coordinating between us so any suggestions are most welcome.
Sound like a cool ride. Leaving Port Angeles you can go inland waterway down to Olympia or west side of the Olympics down on the ocean side. Going around the Olympics is a long trip, but very scenic. We did an RV trip to Crater Lake last year and it was outstanding. Take time to ride the rim drive around the crater.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sound like a cool ride. Leaving Port Angeles you can go inland waterway down to Olympia or west side of the Olympics down on the ocean side. Going around the Olympics is a long trip, but very scenic. We did an RV trip to Crater Lake last year and it was outstanding. Take time to ride the rim drive around the crater.
Thanx for the advice, this will be my first ride down the coast north of SF (in any type of vehicle) so I'm looking forward to making it memorable.

I can really use the advice of guys that have ridden those areas or call that part of the States their playing ground.
:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you looking at making good time going from Port Angeles to Crater Lake? Or is this a more leisurely ride? Google maps shows it ar 8+ hours going down to Olympia then I5 through Oregon, minus traffic delays which is a given. I have never done much riding on that route, but I have driven it before, twice just last summer. If it were me, I would follow 101 all the way down to Cannon Beach area, have some lunch, then cut over to the freeway and head to wherever you are staying near Crater Lake. The coast has great views, but it's slow going with all the small towns and twisty roads, especially heading south from Cannon Beach. Cutting through the forest areas are nice as well, you really can't go wrong. I would just avoid I5 from Canada through Portland if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chanoc1077, Idaho-Knakistan loop? I live in northwestern Montana and I've never herd of that one. Are you referring to the Selkirk Loop? Wing
wingdinger or is it just the nuts? you have to cut Chanoc some slack, he is attempting to interpret poncho speak. His reference is to Canukistan. that would be the far white north tundra on the top off this marble. yeah that's where all the Canuks hang out and drink lablatts beer cause they cant get any real 'merican brewski. So now you know that is where this trip is headed, into the void. lets see if he comes out of it, the same. ponchout

41 - 57 of 57 Posts