Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Okay, so you all are going be going across the Going to the Sun Road in GNP Tuesday 5 July. The last I saw, was that you are coming up from Missoula Tuesday morning, is your route bring you through Kalispell?
Right, we'll be coming through Kalispell on our way from Missoula, because we will want to make the most of the day we might leave early morning and get some miles under us before stoping for breakfast (is there any recommendations for this on the Missoula-Kalispell road?).

Just wondering where we can make the hookup. I live on the west outskirts of Kalispell. I think I saw something that you were coming up MT Hwy 35, the east shore road into Bigfork. I could meet you at Woody's Country Store at the junction of MT Hwy 35 & MT Hwy 206. It's the only gas station/store/bar at that intersection.
My next question was going to be if we should go west or east of Flathead Lake, our map has us going on Hwy 35 on the east side but the thought had occurred to me that this being the morning hours, having the sun over the lake might make for pretty good scenery. SO, would you recommend taking the 35 or staying on the 93? talking from the standpoint of quality of scenery and overall more enjoyable road.

We could exchange cell numbers to make the hookup easier, PM me if you want to do that.
Absolutely, I'll PM you my number.

Other questions, how far do you plan going on the 5th? Where are you stopping for the night? How much sightseeing do you want to do in GNP? With the traffic in GNP I'd plan 3 to 4 hours to cross the Park.
We have reservations to stay the next night in Pincher Creek, AB. So depending on how the day goes we might just skip Waterton NP, none of us are fun of ridding unknown roads in the dark so after we go up the Going to the Sun Road we will play it by ear, hopefully we'll have time to at least do a ride by in Waterton but GNP is definitely our priority. We also need tips on where to stop for lunch and the best unknown spots for pix.
Looking forward to meeting you, more important, looking forward to ridding in your back yard.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanoc,
For a breakfast stop I can recommend the Old Timer Cafe in St Ignatius, MT., that's about 41 miles north of Missoula. it's in town off of Hwy 93 a few blocks, easy to find, it's a very small town. Then at 70 miles from Missoula, I would stop at Pop's Grill, on main street, in down town Polson. A little harder to find and parking is some times not great, but I've always had great breakfasts there. Then in Kalispell Nickel Charlies is my goto place for a great breakfast. It's right on US Hwy 2 E. on the way out of town toward GNP. That's about 125 miles from Missoula. If you come into Kalispell for your breakfast stop, then I would meet up with you here. The Montana Club is another good stop for breakfast, right on US Hwy 93 N. on your way into Kalispell.

As to the route to take. Hwy 93 is not as direct a route to GNP, but it's faster traveling, because the speed limit on Hwy 35, is 50 most of the way from Polson to Bigfork, and there few places to pass slower traffic. The scenery might be little better along the east shore, but I'm betting with all the land yachts on the road, the east shore will add at least 1/2 hour or more to the trip. From Missoula to GNP over the Going to the Sun Road and up to Pincher Creek, AB, is around a 325 mile run. So with the slow pace through the Park, stops for picture taking and the like, I think your looking at a 10 to 12 hour day. But believe me, it'll be worth it. I think this leg, through the Flathead Valley and over the SUN Road, will be the best day of your trip.

As for Lunch, my suggestion would be to stop at the srevice deli in Super One Foods or Smith's and get a sandwich and some chips and drinks, then have a lunch break at one of the scenic pull outs along the way. That what we most often do on our trips into GNP. There's a place along the way over the Going to the Sun Road, that's Call Lunch Creek for a reason.

So, after all that rambling on, my suggestion would be, run 93 into Kalispell, have breakfast about 9 AM, pickup a picnic lunch, head for the Park, spend about 5 hours or whatever seeing the sights crossing the Sun Road, then making the run up to Pincher Creek.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Less than 6 weeks to go, is time to prep the sled, first thing is to put on a new front tire cus is going to be 'bot 4800 miles for me and the CrazyBull, I think I might have time to do the handlebar swap and the obligatory oil change and thorough wash b4 launch day.
@WingNut, @ROCk&Roll: whta kind of weather should I xpect on those dates in yur area???, just to know what gear to pack, jacket and gloves wise, I want to pack as light as possible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You're going to be in the mountains, so it cools down after sunset, you might get temps down in the high fourties, more likely in the fifties. Day time temps are usually somewhere in the eighties. Of coarse always plan for rain, on those cloudy rainy days it will be a lot cooler, sixties and seventies. Pray for NO SNOW.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Less than 6 weeks to go, is time to prep the sled, first thing is to put on a new front tire cus is going to be 'bot 4800 miles for me and the CrazyBull, I think I might have time to do the handlebar swap and the obligatory oil change and thorough wash b4 launch day.

@WingNut, @ROCk&Roll: whta kind of weather should I xpect on those dates in yur area???, just to know what gear to pack, jacket and gloves wise, I want to pack as light as possible.
chanoc, july is getting to be pretty good summer for around here, usually mid 20's (celcieus) but put it this way, if its raining, it'll be cool, for sure bring gloves and jackets good for cool fall/spring weather. that Pincher Creek area is a pretty windy area, so it can be cool around there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanoc,
We set a record high temp for 6 June, in the flathead valley, of 90 degrees, we had 92 at our house. The previous record was 1956, at 87. Those glaciers are really going to be melting this summer, good thing you're making the trip this year, they might not be here next year.
Yah, I know, just what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Barely 3 weeks to go and we were talking how to deal with snow 5-6 post back and now it seems i wont be getting out of the desert for a few days more than xpected. After going through/around death valley I was planing for something a little cooler.
Will put the shorty windshield on the fairing so I can get more wind along the ears so I can cool down elephant style.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Need details on where to meet on the 2d. P.M. me Chanoc1077 :)

P.S. Won't be crossing the border, but I will hang for a few days.
@KD: PM sent, I believe we have two double rooms reserved for the duration of those 1-8 days were traveling together, and there's only 3 confirmed riders so you're good on lodging, even if the extra (doubtful) rider shows up we can make do with those rooms.

We have area riders joining us on some of days, to my kowledge, one right after Missoula to go up the Road to the Sun, one in Longview and one more in Canmore. Most just want to meet the legendary PV cus Cooter (our designated celebrity biker/photo op extraordinaire) is not ridding with us this year.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanco,
The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park was finally opened for the season on Friday the 17th. I also saw that the visitor count for May was 178,000, which was something like a 30% increase over 2015 May.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Chanco,
The Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park was finally opened for the season on Friday the 17th. I also saw that the visitor count for May was 178,000, which was something like a 30% increase over 2015 May.
How is the weather looking to be for the first week of July. I hope we get fair temps but that will mean more peeps, guess will know when we get there. I hope the push we did to be there on the 5th will help get clearer roads. I started to pack my stuff, getting ready to get going despite all the stuff at work plotting against the trip. it just never gets easy to go on these trips, good that as soon as I am on hte bike I just stop giving a crap about anything else.
That's the whole point, isn't it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanco,
The long range forecast, for June 26 to July 1, is mainly sunny, wind 5 to 10 mph, temps of high 80's to low 90's and no rain. The weather guessers won't have the forecast out for the 4th for a couple of days yet, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanoc1077,
Here's my best guest as to the weather for the 5th. Temp high 70 precip less than 15% winds 10 mph out of the west in the Flathead valley. In GNP temp. will be somewhat cooler at Logan pass, with winds 15mph gusting higher, east side will have more cloud cover and windy, 15mph & gusty. WAG 60/40! Will revise in 3 days.

C

·
0 Posts
How is the weather looking to be for the first week of July. I hope we get fair temps but that will mean more peeps, guess will know when we get there. I hope the push we did to be there on the 5th will help get clearer roads. I started to pack my stuff, getting ready to get going despite all the stuff at work plotting against the trip. it just never gets easy to go on these trips, good that as soon as I am on hte bike I just stop giving a crap about anything else.
That's the whole point, isn't it?
Hey chanoc, this is rocnrol, I'm having login issues, so I've created another account for now. Just wanted to say, after you leave pincher Creek, you'll want to head north up hwy 22, also called the Cowboy Trail. Make sure you're full of gas when you leave. You'll want to stop for something to eat, or just a beer at the Longview hotel when you get into Longview. Cool place that's a popular stop for bikers. From there, just before you get out of town, there's an Esso, fill up, and then head west over the hwy 40 (Highwood Pass), that will take you to Canmore.

If I remember right, you guys will be doing this on the 5th. If you can, call or text me as to how you're doing, and I'll try and make it out to see you guys at Canmore. Safe travels

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey rocnrol,
I think the leg from Pincher Creek to Canmore is on the 6th. The 5th is the leg from Missoula, MT through Glacier National Park to Pincher Creek, Alberta.

C

·
0 Posts
Hey rocnrol,
I think the leg from Pincher Creek to Canmore is on the 6th. The 5th is the leg from Missoula, MT through Glacier National Park to Pincher Creek, Alberta.
Gotcha, I hope they're keeping an eye on this thread. I sure would like to meet the guys. I'm back to work now, so unfortunately I won't be able to ride with them that day. Canmore is about an 1 1/2 hr away from me, so not too bad of a ride to go see em there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rocnrol,
That's the nice thing about being retired, more time to ride. I'm planning to meet up with them when they pass through Kalispell, & ride with them over the Going to the Sun Road and up to Chief Mountain boarder crossing. I was just up in Calgary over the weekend, nice rain you had there. Removed all the bugs about as good as the car wash.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
425 Posts
Rocnrol,
That's the nice thing about being retired, more time to ride. I'm planning to meet up with them when they pass through Kalispell, & ride with them over the Going to the Sun Road and up to Chief Mountain boarder crossing. I was just up in Calgary over the weekend, nice rain you had there. Removed all the bugs about as good as the car wash.
I hear ya, that was the one nice thing about not working for 3 months have fun riding with the guys

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 57 Posts