Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

Looking at riding from Central Texas to South East Idaho in early July (departing around the 11th). Some of us made a similar trip last year and had a blast. Riders from Mexico, California, Texas and Nebraska all met and departed at various points.

Is anyone interested in getting together on a similar round up? Ponch, Zig, DonRumata, Chanok, CoOter, anyone...? :nerd:

Here is a short video of last years trip to get folks interested in the possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CveCjgHGsPE

·
Registered
879 Posts
Fellas,

Looking at riding from Central Texas to South East Idaho in early July (departing around the 11th). Some of us made a similar trip last year and had a blast. Riders from Mexico, California, Texas and Nebraska all met and departed at various points.

Is anyone interested in getting together on a similar round up? Ponch, Zig, DonRumata, Chanok, CoOter, anyone...? :nerd:

Here is a short video of last years trip to get folks interested in the possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CveCjgHGsPE
@KD: getting ready 4 it, seems DR and Ponch are on board, DR even has a Canadian connection for that part of the trip, dont know if DR has been in contact with you about the details but we would like to take in all interested riders.

The plan is still under construction but as of now Here is the amended map (minus the closed road section o the canadian Hwy 40, we can adjust that one on the fly).

July 2nd:
Launch from Twin Falls ID (as to go a little farther North of SLC but not quite to Boise), DO the Sawtooth Mtns to Sun Valley-Stanley-Banks-all the way up to McCall in the Payette National Forest (300 mi +/- 6 hrs). If we do these on the way up it opens up options on the way back and we make sure Ponch checks it off the list.

July 3rd:
Head to Grandville (H95)-Kooskia-Lolo-Missoula (260mi +/- 5.5 hrs Probly more cus photo stops, smell the roses thing).

July 4th:
Spend the day still in US (watch for fireworks and parades), Missoula -Kalispell -Sun road- Glacier NP -St Mary over the border to Waterton (250 mi, 'nother 6 hr. bike time + border wait).

July 5th:
Take Canadian advice and head north on 22 to Longview, turn West on 40 and then 742 (must b up in altitute cus it only opens 'till June acording to Canadians this should be open since April) to Banff and spend night at Lake Luise (270 mi 5.5-6 hrs riding cus slow mountain speed).

July 6th:
Modified per original Poncho's proposal and Canadian advice to depart from Lake Luoise and keep northbound to Jasper the turn west then south 'till Blue River (280 mi, 6 hrs.).

July 7th:
Adjusted from Blue River to Kamloops then head east to Vernon-Kelowa-Beaverdell, this is a smaller town and as well as Blue River would have to check if lodging is available (300 mi, 6 hrs.).

July 8th:
Day 7 Added to start from Beaverdell and Cross the border at Laurier and head to Spokane, maybe all the way to Lewiston, ID to put us 400 mi away from Twin Falls. (305 mi, 6 hrs.)

Some of the proposed stops might not be the wisest so we need feedback from the Canada crew, I was trying (if it isn't obvious already) to keep day totals as close to 300 as possible, a little lower if mountain riding, the average of 250 mi from the fall ride was very pleasant and made for a very enjoyable trip, provided you weren't takin' in all my fumes.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z9zYBdMeeK4I.kDZ_Ah9tuQJk&usp=sharing

·
Registered
879 Posts
@KD: All routes and dates are still up for discussion, we need to get input from all interested parties., you are mentioning the 11th of July, how are you on dates???

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Didn't realize you fellas had something in the works already. My dates are fairly closed (I don't see me leaving Texas before the 5th or 6th) on account I am visiting my Mom in Florida when school gets out, going to see a very sick friend in Maryland after that, back home to visit daughters and grandson, then finally off to Idaho to see my Dad. My sister and brother in law already bought plane tickets. I might be able to meet you guys for a day or something while you are up North. Hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
879 Posts
With Ponch being out of the forum we started talking about it by e-mail, very late compared to last year, Poncho had the idea to cover some of his list around Idaho, Montana, Oregon cus Cooter had mention he wanted to visit his kid, he mention Yellowstone at one point. Then DR and him started talking Kanakistan so that's where we are at the moment, I believe Poncho and DR have somewhat flexible schedules, I know I do, and the whole thing would work out better if we avoid the holiday (traffic wise). I'll ask them to copy you on the messages so we can further adjust dates. There's a truck departing from Texas with at least 1 bike on the back, pretty sure you could tag along and ride with us for a few days (hopefully the whole Idaho-Knakistan loop) and visit the family on the same trip.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. Would like to see you fellas again and do a little sight seeing. Probably can't do the whole trip but can make at least part of it. Talk later.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanoc1077,
Idaho-Knakistan loop? I live in northwestern Montana and I've never herd of that one. Are you referring to the Selkirk Loop?

Wing

·
Registered
879 Posts
Chanoc1077,
Idaho-Knakistan loop? I live in northwestern Montana and I've never herd of that one. Are you referring to the Selkirk Loop?

@WingNut: Not really referring to any known route, in the ride plan were making, mostly based on Poncho's experience and some comments DR has received, we want to ride trough the Sawtooth Mnts and ride the road to the sun to Glacier National Park, come down the other side and cross over to Canada, ride those mountains for a while, Waterton NP, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper NP Then down south trough Kamloops all the way to Spokane ID back in the US side.
All this would take us about 7 days of easy enjoyable riding taking in the scenery, enjoying the hell out of our bikes, the roads and good company.
Not really aware of the names you locals give your standard routes, the name I just pull from my leather vest's sleeve (that be my armpit).
Everybody is welcome to join in, either for the whole route or just a couple of days.
If you know of any particulars of the area and want to recommend a road, watering hole, restaurant or particular spot we shouldn't miss, feel free to point them out.
We'll be glad to respond with a pic or two when we're back from the epic adventure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanco, I live in Kalispell, MT. I drive through Glacier all the time and we go up to Waterton a few times a year, so if I can assist in any way, let me know. When you get your routes and dates nailed down, maybe I can joint up with your group for drive across the Going to the Sun Road. I've done duty as tour guide in Glacier NP.
The picture is of the Logan Pass Visitors Center, taken late Sept. 2015, just before the Road was closed for the season. My avatar pic is also in GNP.

Wing

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Chanco, I live in Kalispell, MT. I drive through Glacier all the time and we go up to Waterton a few times a year, so if I can assist in any way, let me know. When you get your routes and dates nailed down, maybe I can joint up with your group for drive across the Going to the Sun Road. I've done duty as tour guide in Glacier NP.
The picture is of the Logan Pass Visitors Center, taken late Sept. 2015, just before the Road was closed for the season. My avatar pic is also in GNP.

Wing
That would be awesome, these rides give us a great chance to meet people from all over and if we get to ride with them it's even better, the (more or less) locals are always good at pointing hidden road/treasures and the best places to eat.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Access Denied??? Geez just cuz I ride a Yamaha you don't want me to see your route?:wink2:
RICKY BOBBIE!!! glad to hear from you, we're trying to do this whole thing again, haven't quite convince Cooter to come along even though we pointed the arrow toward Oregon initially for him, then Poncho went nuts and started talkin' canadian 'hey.
DR has in his mind to go bunkers with his new cameras and such. You Know, same thing all over again.

And NO, we can still find in our hearts to forgive you for ridding yammy, here is the link again, if you have trouble getting in let me know and I'll link you via PM.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1YKHvcBGpqvtSOh264_Q6RkVM6eg&usp=sharing

If this does not work send me yur e-mail via PM and I add you to the sharing part of google maps for that route.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Wing

@WingNut: One of the guys pointed out we might have to deal with holiday crows in the Glacier NP area, can you tell us if it gets bad? we are planning to go by the area ON Monday July 4th, and if so, are there any alternate routes worth using?
BTW, I already told them we have a guide from the Kalispell area to take us up the mountain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chanco,
Glacier is pretty busy all summer long, the 4th of July maybe a little more so. The parking up at Logan Pass Visitors center is mostly always full for cars, but often bike parking is somewhat better from 9am to 5pm. The speed limit in the Park is 40 or less, but it usually moves along at stead slow. Most of the frustration is with finding parking spots at the scenic spots, but again bikes have a bit of an advantage.Waterton Park is pretty much the same story. If you are planning to camp in the Park, then you'll have to get a camp site before noon. There first come, first get. All the reserved site are pretty much booked for the summer already. I would recommend going through Glacier and if time get tight then bypass Waterton. The Going to the Sun Road is a Don't MISS drive, if you're in the area. Waterton is okay, but doesn't even compare to Glacier.
The routes on the map are some of the best in this part of the northwest. I ben on all of them in the last 2 years, except the section from Cache to Kamloops to Kelowna. I go from here to Kelowna every summer to visit friends, so I can tell you there's lots of great riding between Kelowna and Spokane, the hard part is desiding on the route to take.
Wing

·
Registered
879 Posts
Chanco,
Glacier is pretty busy all summer long, the 4th of July maybe a little more so. I would recommend going through Glacier and if time get tight then bypass Waterton. The Going to the Sun Road is a Don't MISS drive, if you're in the area. Waterton is okay, but doesn't even compare to Glacier.
The routes on the map are some of the best in this part of the northwest. I ben on all of them in the last 2 years, except the section from Cache to Kamloops to Kelowna. I go from here to Kelowna every summer to visit friends, so I can tell you there's lots of great riding between Kelowna and Spokane, the hard part is desiding on the route to take.
Wing

@WingNut: We took yur advice and adjusted moving our schedule forward one day so we should go to Glacier NP on the 5th to avoid some of the crowds. We already started booking some lodgings, if any of you guys want to sign up, now is the time. After kelowna I might head west, any road recomentations?? I will be headed toward Seattle to ride back home all along the coast.

·
Registered
879 Posts
We have gone and started booking lodging for the trip, we gather the troops in Twin Falls on Sat July 2nd and launch on Sunday 3rd, next night at McCall ID. On Monday the 4th we go across eh mtns again to stay the night at Misoula, MT. On the 5th, hopefuly with less traffic on the roads, we ride to Kalispell where we have a possible local "Attache", Wingnut might join us on our way to Glacier NP, after that we jump the border and start our Canadian stretch, Rock & Roll might join us for a few smiles on his back yard (that be Calgary, AB) and point us in the right direction to the best roads and best eatings (moose burgers).

We really look forward to meeting with you guys over there, I'm even leaving some of my way back toward Seattle after Kelowna open to adjust on the road recommendations we get from the locals.

'Till now we have a Russian from SF, a feisty Texan with a west coast sidekick, a shy, quiet Mexican (I am not gonna call myself a loudmouth) and a Canadian in the mix, Do NOT imagine things will get weird at all, we'll be lucky if understand half of what we say. Spanglish might end up being the common denominator for communication.

Anxiety startin' to set in, if only I can get the dammed job finished in time.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Texan seriously thinking about joining you. I better get to work on the passport
Sarge!!! I am so glad to hear this, need more takers to make it more fun.
we have most of the reservations done up to July 8th, still considering what route to take from Kelowna or if there be a split of the possy after that, depending on final choices, Ponch still has it in to truck his ride to Twin Falls and ride from there so you might have the option to hitch a ride with him. I'm sure he would appreciate the company ans shared driving duty.

I am having scheduling problems and trying my best to sort them out, my kid is graduating from high school and moving away to college (both during July) and struggling to finish a job for final revision b4 June 25, that way they be checking the work out while I'm suffering long roads, cold beers and excellent company for 10-12 days.

Keep me posted cus there were no more takers for the whole ride here, we will get a couple join in during the trip for day rides or maybe a couple of days.

Doesn't seem to be hope to count Cooter, Ricky Bobby or Zig in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Chanco,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, been on a road trip down to NM to see brother.
Okay, so you all are going be going across the Going to the Sun Road in GNP Tuesday 5 July. The last I saw, was that you are coming up from Missoula Tuesday morning, is your route bring you through Kalispell? Just wondering where we can make the hookup. I live on the west outskirts of Kalispell. I think I saw something that you were coming up MT Hwy 35, the east shore road into Bigfork. I could meet you at Woody's Country Store at the junction of MT Hwy 35 & MT Hwy 206. It's the only gas station/store/bar at that intersection. We could exchange cell numbers to make the hookup easier, PM me if you want to do that.
Other questions, how far do you plan going on the 5th? Where are you stopping for the night? How much sightseeing do you want to do in GNP? With the traffic in GNP I'd plan 3 to 4 hours to cross the Park. From Missoula to Woody's is 120 miles, can be dome in 2.5 hours easy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts