Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of years ago I had my factory seat restuffed. It's waaay better than stock but I'd still get a pain in the butt after 100 mi or so.

On the forums here I bought a used Mustang seat, "Wide Touring One-Piece Studded Seat with Driver Backrest Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Classic". WHAT A DIFFERENCE MAKER. Down in St. Charles County MO I had a funeral to make it to on Saturday. Instead of taking the Jeep I rode and made a longer more scenic trip of it.

The long way from my house to Missouri and return was about 800 pain free miles. I took backroads, byways and even a ferry on the trip. All of it was perfectly enjoyable.

Here's a pic along the Great River Road in southern IL.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Sounds like an amazing ride. Too bad a funeral was involved. My condolences.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Mustang Seat

I've had them on my last 2 bikes and enjoyed the ride. They're pricey but I think in the long run you will appreciate it.:grin2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
one guy said it sat him farther forward on his, have you noticed this?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You weren't very far from me! I love my Mustang seat!

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one guy said it sat him farther forward on his, have you noticed this?
Maybe 1/2 an inch but I'd say unnoticeable. I did notice it's maybe 1/4" overall taller. My feet used to be flat while stopped. Now they're not quite flat.

hey.. i like that sissy bar bag.. what is it ?
Thanks it's from Saddleman. I have had it with a few configurations on a couple bikes. Very flexible in the way you set it up and strap it down. Works with and without a luggage rack. I THINK it is this one

-Cheech

·
Registered
620 Posts
Terrific bag...Versatile.
I have a Mustang Seat on my trike and love it. It does not shift me forward at all. I once had an 08 Nomad 1600 and equipped it with a mustang as well..Nice.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Unfortunately the worse seat I ever had was a Mustang double with double back rest on a Yamaha. It was just flat out uncomfortable and it was the one that everyone I knew with the same scoot was getting and loved it. It is still out in my shed after about 9 years in the box. I only had it on the scoot less than a week for 600 bucks..... I put the stock seats back on it and I still have it that way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a mustang Wide Touring seat on my Suzuki Boulevard and loved it. On the Suzuki it made you sit up a little higher on the bike which wasn't a problem. I have been looking at getting one for my 13 Voyager but at 5ft 10in I am at the max height on this beast. Any higher and I will be on my toes. Does the mustang wide touring on the voyagers raise you up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Mustang seat for sale that came off my 2011 VN1700 Vaquero. I can attest that is was the best seat on the market for that bike. Don't waste your time or money on the Kawi Gel touring seat. It was very uncomfortable. If you are interested in buying my seat, you can find it here http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/76-bike-parts-exhausts-etc-sale/235090-sale-11-15-vaquero-mustang-wide-vintage-seat-w-driver-backrest.html

It is a 1pc Wide Vintage touring seat with driver backrest included. I only used it for 1 season and its still in mint shape. I am selling it because I traded my Vaquero in for a Harley Road Glide Ultra.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I had a mustang Wide Touring seat on my Suzuki Boulevard and loved it. On the Suzuki it made you sit up a little higher on the bike which wasn't a problem. I have been looking at getting one for my 13 Voyager but at 5ft 10in I am at the max height on this beast. Any higher and I will be on my toes. Does the mustang wide touring on the voyagers raise you up?
The Mustang does raise you up just a little... I now have two seats for my Voyager. A Mustang wide touring for around town, and a Russell Daylong for anything more than an hour or two's ride, or when I have a passenger.

The Mustang is OK for rider, not so much for passenger. The extra room it provides the rider is at the passenger's expense, and the passenger portion of the seat is too flat, so she's always sliding forward into the rider's backrest.

So I did what I should have done in the first place and shipped my stock seat to Russell for a rebuild. Same height as stock, and perfectly comfortable for both of us... It's an awesome seat.

There's no market for Mustang seats for Voyagers in this country (there are hardly any Voyagers here), and it's too expensive to ship it out - so I'm stuck with it. LIke you, I loved my Mustang seats on my last two bikes, but they dropped the ball with the Voyager IMO. It's just not quite right.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Honestly, I have never cared for Mustang seats. Every one that I have tried did not feel comfortable at all. (The same can be said for just about all aftermarket seats I have tried. Even on the V-Max, stock was the most comfortable for me.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Peg. Thats what I wanted to know. I have read about the specs but there is nowhere I can sit on one and try it out. I have been searching for a used mustang seat on here and some other classified sites, so if I dont like it Im not out the price of a new mustang. I have felt the pain of the tailbone being crushed for hours and have little interest in doing it again.
As far as the passengers are concerned, My wife doesn't ride so its not a big deal. On my last bike I just made it a solo which was nice because people quit asking for a ride around the block.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have an Intruder (Boulevard) and Voyager both with Mustang seats now. The Intruder brought me forward about 2" the Voyager brought me back 2" and don't think it changed the height much.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree with your remarks about Mustang seat and losing passenger room. I measured and can't fit a 9x14" Airhawk passenger pillion in there and I have already lost a couple of inches due the the backrest cushion. The 9x11 barely fits with my driver backrest.

I am considering a RDL but sold my OEM seat with backrest already. I like the Mustang and have adjusted my bike around that seating position and don't really want to go back and considering using a Mustang seat pan to build.

Question - how much better is the RDL for the passenger? I am wondering how much of a benefit they will gain and if it is really worth it?

The Mustang does raise you up just a little... I now have two seats for my Voyager. A Mustang wide touring for around town, and a Russell Daylong for anything more than an hour or two's ride, or when I have a passenger.

The Mustang is OK for rider, not so much for passenger. The extra room it provides the rider is at the passenger's expense, and the passenger portion of the seat is too flat, so she's always sliding forward into the rider's backrest.

So I did what I should have done in the first place and shipped my stock seat to Russell for a rebuild. Same height as stock, and perfectly comfortable for both of us... It's an awesome seat.

There's no market for Mustang seats for Voyagers in this country (there are hardly any Voyagers here), and it's too expensive to ship it out - so I'm stuck with it. LIke you, I loved my Mustang seats on my last two bikes, but they dropped the ball with the Voyager IMO. It's just not quite right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an Intruder (Boulevard) and Voyager both with Mustang seats now. The Intruder brought me forward about 2" the Voyager brought me back 2" and don't think it changed the height much.
Thanks for the comparison. That helps. Like I said I loved my Mustang going for hours without ever even thinking about the way I was sitting. If anyone is looking to get rid of one let me know. I think it might be worth a try

1 - 20 of 20 Posts