Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we test rode a 2008 Classic and my wife LOVED it. Probably mostly because it means getting off the back of the ZX-14. To me, it was just HEAVY.

I see no need to try to squeeze any more out of that long-stroke engine, but the lard would have to go.

I saw the orange bike one of the magazines started out trying to lighten up, but they gave up half-way through and built another "custom" that looks just like all the others.

I'm looking for info on where the big weight savings might come from after the exhaust and wheels are replaced, and all that chrome crap is gone. Can anyone who has worked on one tell me which parts they held in their hands and thought "Damn! this thing sure is heavy for what it does." ? I'm thinking that this might be my next bike if I can cut 100lbs. off of it somehow.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeah, Ponch will be here. He kinda made it his mission to lighten this thing up. I forget how much he took off, but it was a lot.

Stay tuned...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Yeah, Ponch will be here. He kinda made it his mission to lighten this thing up. I forget how much he took off, but it was a lot.
Stay tuned...
ez to cutt a couple hunerd off this bear. pipes alone are worth pushin 80 ellbees.
get rid of all the hoses and hangers and stock tins while yor at it. lighter wheels would help. all them belt gard and pulley covers and wire connector dofarbles.. the name of this game is what.. how much can you live with out? you'd be surprised how little you really need.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's it!

Now that red bike with the black rear fender, THAT is what I'm thinking. I was a little worried because most of what I've seen are mods that ADD weight to the bike. Just knowing that it has been done is very encouraging.

Couple of hundred pounds, you say. Wow. Amazing. So the red bike weighs 620 lbs? Mind if I ask what it does in the quarter?

I sure would like to test ride a bike like this to see how it handles. Worlds better, I'm sure. Unusual tire on the back.

I'll search and see what details I can find. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
702 Posts
"O lordy. We done it now."

Haha yep....just like a shampoo bottle.....lather, rinse, repeat....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ponch, that is one beautiful bike you have!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Duh...

OK, it's a car tire. I just didn't pick up on it right away. I remember seeing car tires on hard-tail Harley choppers way back when, so it's nothing new.

I've been looking through Villas posts to find some details about weight reduction. Lots of posts... not many numbers found yet. I'll keep looking...

What I'd really like to see is who has the lightest Vulcan 2000 out there. How low can you go (numbers), how do you get there and what effect does it have on performance (again, numbers would be nice). I've got numbers on exhaust systems from the manufacturers, but that's it.

Anyone have any idea what the engine weighs?

I'll probably pull the trigger on this deal anyway, because the engine character alone is worth it, but I'd like to hear from someone who has gone where I'm heading and is willing to share.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
What I'd really like to see is who has the lightest Vulcan 2000 out there. How low can you go (numbers), how do you get there and what effect does it have on performance (again, numbers would be nice). I've got numbers on exhaust systems from the manufacturers, but that's it.
I'll probably pull the trigger on this deal anyway, because the engine character alone is worth it, but I'd like to hear from someone who has gone where I'm heading and is willing to share.
pd, wen the phatt lady is done beltin out her toon, I bet it will be you w litest sledd. Strip her nekid. don't be shy. Toss ever thin that you can unbolt. It's kinda like how I clean my friends g'rage. Everything gets pushed haul to the curb. Then only put bak watt very little you absolutely gott to have. Not Much. will be yor end game. Once you see and touch n feel how slim yor sled is, you won't want all that krapp bak on it. I have a scrap box of bolts n hoses n hangers n tins n cetera probly weighs pushin two hunerd. I can't lift it. Pix later.

As for numbers. Who cares! This motor is a beast! I didn't buy bild wrench my sled for anybody else but me. I couldn't care less wat it does, doesn't do, compares to or wat anybody else thinks. I bought it for me. It's my wrenchable. Project bike. I measure project work in units of :beer: that's a 4:beer: job. aka wrench therapy. poncho

ps. I have plenty otter skoots to ride when this ones under the knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Numbers...

Yeah, I think you're right. I get obsessive with the importance of measurable quantities. Horsepower to weight and all that. Gotta let that go.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Oh, and thanks for the pics. That IS a lot of stuff!
Thats just the stuff I didn't toss in the garbage. Plus I save all the metric nuts n bolts in my parts bin for future projects n fixits

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Panner, What you want to take so much weight off for?

Sure, when compared to your ZX-14, the bike is heavy.. but all cruisers will be heavy compared to THAT.

The V2K isn't a sports bike. Cruisers are like a big ol'e lazy boy. You kick your feet up, lean back a bit, and just cruise.

Ok..ok.. maybe the V2K is a lazy boy on steroids. But it will never be a sports bike.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Big thing is, like Ponch said, what do you want to do? I wanted a bike that could cruise all day without breakin a sweat. Yeah, I added some weight, took some off, balanced it around a bit, but it is for distance runnin. That's just me. I want a KLR650 to play on. My wife has a 900CLT, daughter has a VStar 250 and currently the 'Zuki 650 is still around, although it is for sale/sold.
WRT the v2k, the motor will pull whatever you put on it. Ok, it might get a mite heavy if you have to pick it up, but you shouldn't have to do that. After a while, I got used to it, no more problemo.
Still need to stiffen up the front suspenders.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Still need to stiffen up the front suspenders.
hw, drain, flush the fork oil. replace with HD20w fork oil. will fix that pronto.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I need to do that also. How much oil do you put in? (non of this, measure what comes out, put back in thingy...)
well besides it is always good procedure to measure what comes out (even your doctor does that when your in the hospital, measure you urine output) it is telling you something. you got bad filters.
Then of course you could always consult the manual, which I am emailing to you because its too big to post here.. dang, thot I had yor email on file?
they both measured the same 17oz each. so that is what I put back. but you mite want to use some other qty like 500cc. let us know what you dig out.

btw, when I drain forx from the bottom, I pull the springs out and thoroughly clean them as well. then I run a flush of seafoam thru the empty tubes a couple of passes each. trying to rid ALL dirty crap in there. you'd be surprised how filthy nasty them forx get/are.

515ml (17.4 us oz) page 429, section 13 suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
I for one am looking forward to seeing a Vulcan 2000 crotch rocket. Hell just strip it down to the motor/tranny, gas tank, frame and wheels and lets see what happens. Do away with that big ole seat as well, put your wife one of those little square pads on the fender to sit on. Well shucks, you can't do that you left the fenders off. And I know you're not gonna leave that big ole head light on there.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts