Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Other than being carbureted, nothing wrong with a 1300 VTX. I had VTX 1800C and the wife had a 1300C. The only reason she was on the 1300 was she could handle the weight of the 1300 not an 1800. Had to reject for the pipes but that was it. She enjoyed the power of the 1300.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
243 Posts
No personal experience, but my brother in law has the fuel injected version and loves it

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
No personal experience, but my brother in law has the fuel injected version and loves it
The VTX 1300 was never made in a fuel injected version. The VT 1300 was however. They are basically the same engine, but totally different bikes.

To the OP, you say the bike was rejetted when the dealer put on the exhaust. They probably used a Dynojet kit. Those kits are very hard to tune on a VTX for some reason. I wouldn't be afraid to buy it and fix the carb yourself, iy really isn't very hard. Some will tell you that if the air box wasn't changed, then there is no need to rejet. This is mostly true, but that engine can really be improved by proper tuning. I had one for 5 years and tuned it using a Factory Pro jet kit. Mine had an open element breather and Vance and Hines pipes so I had to rejet.

What I am trying to say is, if you like the bike, then buy it. It isn't that hard to get running correctly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are cruisers at this level all just cheap bikes? This has no fuel gauge, no tach, no gear indicator, etc.
My 1977 Suzuki GS550 had a digital gear position indicator. This bike is 28 years newer!
I think Honda was going for the clean, less is better, look on the VTX. my 1800 was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I have rode a freinds 1300 a couple times, ran great. For me a change in bars or risers would be on the top of my list, but each person is different, felt like had more room on my 800 classic. His drive line in my bike, now that would be AWESOME!!!

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Are cruisers at this level all just cheap bikes? This has no fuel gauge, no tach, no gear indicator, etc.
My 1977 Suzuki GS550 had a digital gear position indicator. This bike is 28 years newer!
I think that Honda geared these bikes for the budget minded crowd. They left off all the bells and whistles to keep the price down. Most everyone that I know has added several aftermarket items to them to make up for Honda's shortcomings.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
I may be banned for this, but I have no brand loyalty! Don't we bash the Harley guys for this very thing?
And YOU! Do you get your Meanie parts cheaper at the Suzuki store?:D:D:eek:
:eek: Not me... I shop thru Glenn or on the WWW..... ;) Good luck with the new to you bike. I'll see ya around town on it somewhere after/if you get it.:peace:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
No, I told the seller yesterday that I wasn't buying it...
Is the 900 and 800 just that good? I rode a 4 speed 1500 Vulcan a couple months ago, and rode this 1300, and I swear either of my bikes would spank those two bikes -
and both of my bikes are bone stock!:confused:
I don't know about the older 4 speed 1500's but I used to own an carbed 5 speed 1500 and it was not what I expected a 1500 cc bike to be (Power wise). I liked the bike overall, but it did not compare to the 1600 Meanie I got right after that. I would like to throw my leg over a 900 and ride one for a little bit to see what they are all about. I have rode one but it was just literally up the road and back, maybe 5 minutes. I have herd such good things about them and it has me curious.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Cant remember were, but read something about the 1500 and 1600 power compared to the 900s. Said that they do make a little more power, but the weight difference puts the 900, and 800 ahead of them in acceleration. there advantage comes in them low end torque. The 8s and 9s make there power were the bigger bikes would self destruct.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well, I wish you were near by. I would love to swap with you and we could go for a ride together. The V2K guys seem to laugh at even the 1700s, and they're probably right. Maybe Kawi only makes two good bikes, the 900 and.. well, the V2K is no more. The 900 is still apparently unchanged and in its 8th year of manufacture. Mine is an '06, and is completely stock because I haven't seen any aftermarket add-ons that actually improve its performance. You can make them louder, and may perceive more from the "butt dyno", but show me a slip from the dragstrip.
The "Butt Dyno" is all in peoples heads. Before I bought my 1500 (private party deal) I stopped by my Kawasaki dealer and the owner (friend of family) tried his best to get me to buy a 900 and not that 1500. He said that I would probably like the 900 better but me being an ignorant 19 year old wanted the 1500 because, well it was a 1500. One of my buddies got a 1300 VTX a couple years ago but left the company shortly after be bought it so I never got a chance to try it but I just have not been fond of the honda's that I have ridden.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Wife has a bone stock '05 800 that has only been rejetted one jet size to just eliminate the factory lean stumble. I'm sure the 800 would spank my 900 in the quarter mile. Both bikes are great cruisers. But the larger bikes I've tried have been real disappointments.
What all larger bikes have you tried?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I used to own a Harley, whatever size the big Evo engine was in '88. Liked it a lot!
Also tried the VTX 1300 and the Vulcan 1500 as mentioned before.
I like engines that make torque low in their powerbands. The 900 makes good power relatively low in its rpm range, which is why I like it as a cruiser.
I would probably love a V2K if I could find a decent one for sale.
Once I get to 40, I don't want to have to shift it. I just want to roll on the throttle!
I got my 08 classic brand new this April for 9K with free sissy bar, and bags and some other accessories at cost. I was not looking for one but stumbled across it.

The kind of power your looking for you want a motor with a big stroke. I believe the V2K has around a 4" bore and almost 5" stroke. It makes good torque but it don't take long to hit the rev limiter in first. It could be stretched out a bit and make it more useable.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I haven't been near the rev limiter on mine at all. The closest I got was an impromptu race with another 900, and I never saw over 6000 on the tach. I think they redline at 7200.
at 6K I don't believe there would be much left of a V2K. I do not have a tach but I will assume it bumps it at around 5K and it gets there before you know it in 1st.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All stuff that really isn't necessary. I think of it as a more minimalist approach. Less stuff to break down on you. You don't need a tach, gear indicator, or fuel gauge to ride. They are nice options to have, but really not necessary. I can say I don't miss any of those on my shadow.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I'd probably lucky to see 3k on a V2K. If i'm not in a hurry, I will shift at around 2400 on the 900. The shift will drop the rpm to around 2000 when it picks up the next gear. Cruising at 35 in fifth gear is about 1950 rpm's.
I can't remember ever shifting at over 4000 rpm except maybe that one race.
I like low rpm's!
Mine usually don't see RPM's like that but I still have those wild streaks that get a hold of me that I just can't ignore.:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I'm with you guys on the gauges but that's not the style anymore.

I'd love to have a 70's/80's style handlebar mounted gauge cluster with tach, speedo, turn signal indicators you don't have to look down to see, etc. Gear position indicator would be a plus too!

I understand the minimalist approach but that's not me. I'd like a little around-town-bike that was like that in addition to another bike but, where I live I rarely ride less than 30 miles when I ride. So I'll take my windshield, comfy seat, trunk, saddlebags, rain gear, etc. thankyouverymuch! lol

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
The lack of and placement was really the only thing I didn't like about my VTX. But I had over the years added most of what I felt was missing.

Here is a pic of it shortly before it ended its life so suddenly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts