Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Problem is, both oil and temp lights won't go out on startup. Was warming up one morning and both lights came on. She had set a while(several years) and just run to warmup then shut off. Figured it was thermo since the feul line had cracked and failed, replaced thermo, coolant flows and oil in sight-glass is good. Short in wire harness maybe??? She's an 03 800 classic. Thanks...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Coolant light comes on when the temp gets hot, that might be a wiring problem.
The oil light is a pressure thing, so you need to know if the oil is being pumped with the correct pressure.
Just because you have oil in the slight glass doesn't mean everything is OK.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey all. Problem is, both oil and temp lights won't go out on startup. Was warming up one morning and both lights came on. She had set a while(several years) and just run to warmup then shut off. Figured it was thermo since the feul line had cracked and failed, replaced thermo, coolant flows and oil in sight-glass is good. Short in wire harness maybe??? She's an 03 800 classic. Thanks...
Take a look here: oil and water temp light stay on

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coolant light comes on when the temp gets hot, that might be a wiring problem.
The oil light is a pressure thing, so you need to know if the oil is being pumped with the correct pressure.
Just because you have oil in the slight glass doesn't mean everything is OK.
Thanks Doc, will try the filter and oil cap trick. How would one check the oil pressure if there's no guage? And can I add a guage w/o a major mod? Appreciate the quik response!! Ride safe

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Doc, will try the filter and oil cap trick. How would one check the oil pressure if there's no guage? And can I add a guage w/o a major mod? Appreciate the quik response!! Ride safe
BTW, ran the bike for a few minits after replacing the thermost, yes I know, a mite risky but she ran fine after warmup, no odd noises other than the mild valve tap the vulcans do... will continue the wire harness strip lookin fr shorts. Thankee sai

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LITES OUT!!! Thankee sai Spindog n Doc!!! Gonna take r onna test run t chek evertaing...when its above freezing!! Couple of days maybe. Great team here!! Thanks again all ya'll.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, Hard Krome exhaust
135 Posts
LITES OUT!!! Thankee sai Spindog n Doc!!! Gonna take r onna test run t chek evertaing...when its above freezing!! Couple of days maybe. Great team here!! Thanks again all ya'll.
What did you find???

CMOS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CMOS, Apparently the thermostat went out, sitting idle/not being stretched out, for many years, maybe 6-8, and she overheated. That overheated the oil, my best guess and the oil system cavitated, there was no oil leakin out on unscrewing the filter. Did that lil trick that Spindoc suggested and the oil system reprimed and ALL IS GOOD. So far... gonna take r onna short run t make sure tommorow... will let all ya'll know how it goes fer sher

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Btw, as I posted elsewhere, when it's cool out, say round 50, and y rev her, as I sometimes do, she'll cavitate. Apparently the passages on this gal are tight, oil and coolant. Boy these japs, no dis intended, I love my Kaw, shore do buildem tight!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts