Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive got a 2015 Vaquero. It has no mods. Im up at 6500 ft elevation with ambient temps around 60f. This bike seems to run hot any time its not going down the road at hwy speed. Anytime in stop and go or at long signals it hovers at the 3/4 mark.
Is that normal? And, what can i do to cool it down?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a 2017 Vaquero and had to ask the same question last year. That is normal. As far as cooling it down, I was told to:
  • Try a different anti-freeze (like Engine Ice).
  • Get a heat shield (I have a nice leather one that helps a bit)
  • Remove the lower fairing in hot weather
  • Ivanize the ECU (apparently the best option)
Hope this helps. The leather heat shield is the only thing I've tried so far. It does work, but you still get a lot of hot air directed at your thighs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2016 with KAMS and don't notice the temps burning up my legs and such the way my Warrior does. But I have noticed same on the indicator being at the 3/4 mark. As soon as I hit the highway it seems fine again.

Everything I have read says that part of the Ivan ECU flash lowers the temp that the fans kick on so it keeps things running cooler.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, Yep the Vulcan 1700 bikes just run. I live in Louisiana where it really gets hot in the summer and the temp gauge prior to Ivan flash would set at 1 tick mark before the red line. Since the Ivan flash it does help now it runs just past 2 tick marks prior to red line in the summer. When it is cool out 60-70 it will run in the middle.
SteveJB is right for heat deflection the leather heat deflector that goes under the seat just behind the tank makes all the difference in the summer and your sitting at a red light I highly recommend both the deflector you can find on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLAIN-LEATHER-Heat-Shield-Deflectors-Suzuki-Kawasaki-Yamaha-Honda-Victory-XG750/323423402337?hash=item4b4d897961:g:6S8AAOSwrORbdMRF:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true and Ivan's flash (worth the money0

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ivanizing, highway pegs, Duluth Trading Co. Ballbuster jeans (trust me) and the leather heat deflector sure help on a very hot day. I frankly only notice the heat on my 2016 Voyager when temps are approaching/over 90 F and am in stop/go traffic or sitting at t traffic light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts