Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably needs to be placed in the How-To section. But, I'm mostly looking for an opinion (actually reassurance).
With that being said today I installed a Cobra Fi2000, removed the secondary throttle plates, and installed the Homemade air cleaner from the How-To section.
When I installed the EFI Tuner all went pretty well I got the injector wires backwards, I started it up and the lights on the Cobra unit all were blinking. Switched the injector wires around and got the solid green after startup.
Installed the homemade air cleaner from the how to section, went pretty good, instead of marbling (haven't had any decel popping) I routed it via a vacuum line adapter into the air cleaner as well as the sensor that went into the air cleaner.
While I was doing all that, I removed the secondary throttle plates.
Now after all that started it up and it was idling really, really low. The lights were not dimming, but still really low. Let it run for a couple minutes went to twist the throttle and killed it. So I twisted the little knob that used to be on the side of the air cleaner, seemed to make it idle a little faster. And when I went to twist the throttle it did seem to respond much, much better.
When I was making the homemade air cleaner I broke the sensor that goes in the air cleaner, so currently the FI light is on but I don't think that is a major problem because I ran it without the air cleaner and just the sensor plugged in and the FI light went off.

So just replace the sensor? I guess I just want some reassurance that other people have similar setups and everything is running all good?

Some stats
2008 VN 900 Custom
Home Made air cleaner
Secondary throttle plates removed
Cobra FI 2000 set to 4-2-1
Frontier Cycle straights exhaust

Thanks for your replies everyone.

·
Registered
742 Posts
never removed my plates but did everything the the same except added a small breather for the crank case line but everything runs fine... idle does get you some times when you are tinkering with these things. mine idles a bit higher than i like, but it is high enough to keep barely charging the system and not get an FI light.

g/l

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, there were two lines coming into the old stock air box, one high and one low. I added the small breather like I believe you are talking about on the line on the top. The one on the bottom I ran to the inside of my new air cleaner. Is this backwards, or wrong?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Okay, there were two lines coming into the old stock air box, one high and one low. I added the small breather like I believe you are talking about on the line on the top. The one on the bottom I ran to the inside of my new air cleaner. Is this backwards, or wrong?
i marbled the top... and the line back to your air cleaner is just letting all the oil vapor go back into the engine to get burned off, i didn't want that. the suction of air into the engine is what draws the vapors into your air cleaner, that's what you saw in the clear bulb on the bottom back of the stock housing. whatever works for ya, it's not wrong... I just opted to vent off any positive pressure in the case rather than send it to the fuel system?!? ;) similar concept as the PCV on cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so you marbled the top one, (I put the separate breather on the top). Where did you put the bottom one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's all good....

Yes, replace the sensor, it is an intake temp sensor and will affect the adjustments the ECU makes. I did have to adjust my idle a bit with each change. I added mods one at a time. Trace your hoses back, you do want to vent the crankcase, I ran a longer hose over the frame and then into the back of my adapter plate on my homemade intake. I marbled the return air hose with a half inch dowel rod. Secondary butterflies are gone, and I'm still fine tuning my Techlusion, but am already seeing improvements in performance. Seat of the pants riding says so anyway! lol Next step will be exhaust later this year. And the list goes on......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it backwards

Okay, so the bottom hose is the crankcase and it needs to have a small breather filter attached to it, the hose on the top needs to be routed into the air cleaner or marbled if it starts popping.
Any opinions on the Cobra settings?
I'm running 4-2-1

·
Registered
742 Posts
nope... mine still pops.

tried 4-2-1, 4-2-0, 4-1-0... hoping the cold is what is causing it to pop now but it doesn't smell rich, but pops a bit (not a whole lot but some) on decel.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had mine set on 4-2-0 and just had the plugs changed. The mechanic said that the plugs looked pretty good but still a little lean. Suggested I go up one more so it's currently set on 5-3-1. I guess everybody rides a little different so the settings may vary. I'm running the K&N filter and a set of performance exhausts, Bubs. Also blocked off the top hose and ran the bottom to a seperate breather filter. Still getting about 52 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checking the plugs

After doing these kind of mods when would you check the plugs? After 500 miles? Less? More?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts