Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly, I spend most of my time on VF in this forum (1700). I see there are a few tech articles in the sticky area like the broken wire fix. I did look around before starting this thread and TBH I wasn't even sure where I should post this!!

I belong to, and am a chapter leader, on a truck forum site. We have a tech thread there and I think VF could benefit from one as well.

Basically whenever an admin finds a "build" or "mod" or "fix" or whatever to be important and useful enough to the community as a whole he will move that thread to the Tech Folder. So no one really writes a tech article for the purpose of posting in that thread.

There are several articles in here that I feel would be well served in such a tech folder. Others probably feel that way even though we may disagree on what articles go in there.

As an example, the heat shield issue, the broken wire, the RF amp install are just a couple of examples. This keeps the tech stuff neatly together and easy to find w/o making 50 sticky posts!!

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
A couple other suggestions for such a folder might be valve adjustments for the 800, and I think the 900, stator testing and replacement for the 900s, the pog for the early 1500s, and maybe even cam chain tentioners. Wouldnt want too many items here because the more there are the harder they would be to find, but the most common issues may be nice all in one place.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Okay so Clarify for me what this 'tech folder' would be. Where would it be located?

·
Banned
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would just be a stickied thread with the articles listed in a post. The threads themselves are not moved - they are given a road map to find (linked). We may need several if we want to focus the tech on specific bikes (1700, V2K, 1500). Let me use just this 1700 thread for example. At the top of the forum are stickied threads. These include the 1700 accessories, the heat shield, the broken wire issue, etc, etc.

However, there are many other great tech articles in here that could also be grouped with those. It wouldn't make sense to sticky 20 different threads up there so they'd be linked in a single tech thread.

"Vulcan 1700 Tech: Known issues, DIY and Mods" or whatever.

Take the air intake leak thread that RacnRay has. He includes pics of the non-seal of the o-rings, the boss stand-offs on the backside of the throttle body which are the cause and how he machined and corrected it. This can be done by guys in their garages. Even if they can't machine the bosses, at least they would learn about the problem and, if so inclined, could test to see if their machine has this issue. This is an article I would suggest for a tech folder.

Here is an example:
FTE Superduty Tech folder

There is a LOT of information in that tech folder specific to the Superduty trucks. When you scroll down you can find the post (#8 or #9 I think) that lists all the threads where guys have made their own mods or upgrades to these trucks or how to retrofit a part from a newer model truck to an older one (upfitter switches, ball joint replacement, and door lock fixed, for a few examples).

It would allow guys to find information that they don't even know to search for yet. And it makes it easier for those looking for the information they know they want - or "remember seeing" somewhere on the forums, lol! It is usually obvious when an article deserves to be in the Tech section due to how detailed the posts are concerning the subject matter. Sometimes posters will actually just post "this should be in the Tech Section" as has happened a lot on the FTE site.

·
Administrator
11,992 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I see the need for such a folder on the large forum you link to but do not think we have reached the need for same yet. The sticky system is meeting our needs presently but if a day comes that is does not, we may have to enact the very system you mention or a similar idea.

Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts