Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USB port mounted to the handlebar for keeping my phone charged while using maps and music, etc. Right now, I’m using an SAE plug to tap into the battery. Works as it should, but it’s annoying.

Is there a downside to just splicing it into the headlight wires? I want to make sure there’s no power drain when the bike is off.

I read the pinned thread about tapping into the switched relay under the seat - great tutorial but I’m wondering if it’s more work than I need?

Would I blow the headlight fuse by charging my phone? I doubt it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
if you are just using it for small devices and considering your phone charger is functioning properly, there is no danger in blowing fuses or causing damage to the wires...
think about it this way: both high and low beams can be ON without the fuse blowing.. but the fact that the back of the headlight is exposed to the elements, you should take extra precaution when insulating your work. i guess it depends where you're splicing, but that would be my main concern.
good luck, have fun, be safe ;}

*liquid electrical tape (or liquid rubber products) is my favorite way of insulating the wires on 18-wheelers... give it time to cure, do not use open flame..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, I ended up running the wires from the handlebar-mounted USB ports to the rear running light, via under the tank and seat.

If a fuse or bulb were to blow out, I’d rather it be the rear light than the headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
usb plug

what I did on my I add a regular power plug in the trunk and use USB adapter on it ,and I add another in the front and use another USB adapter I did connected them to the battery so I can use it and keep charging my phone when the MC is off,, I did add a switch with a pilot light to been able to turn them off, the light to remind me to turn it off, or you can connect it to the wires on the power plug that came with the MC and it will go on and off with the ignition switch

·
Registered
248 Posts
I mounted a power outlet beneath the fuel tank. It's wired directly to the battery through a fuse, so I can plug in my battery tender. I can use either a car charger cable or a USB adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I mounted a power outlet beneath the fuel tank. It's wired directly to the battery through a fuse, so I can plug in my battery tender. I can use either a car charger cable or a USB adapter.
I did very similar for the same reasons. Exception being I used a handlebar-mounted power outlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts