Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I to am new to the vulcan line of bikes... I got a great deal on mine and well....it a bad ass little bike...
Ok so heres the problem, I have a lot of tapping comeing from the top of the engine(valves).
Now i went to the dealer i got it from and they told me it has hydrolic lifters and thats what your hearing....
I was looking up the schematics and i did not see them....
Can someone shed some light for me?
oh its a 2011 900 custom..:) and is 2 months old and has 2000 miles on it:D
Thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Day Lad, Kawasaki went a bit further with, "self adjusting". you are probably hearing a , tapping caused by exhaust flange leak.. First thing to do is check your exhaust to head bolts for proper torque, I run a 1500 and it seems that everytime I need an oil change, I re-tighten the exhaust studs. Tapping goes away. Give it a shot and Good Luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the quick reply, ok so they are not suppose to be loud?
I'm a honda tech so I know what's what ;-) but it is deffinatly comeing from the cyl heads.
I did speak to the shop I got the bike from about this and the fuel gauge and they always say oh that's normal.
I hate these shops, u by a bike spnd ur money and then they don't wanna help u Grrr.. Ok I will check the pipe bolts and get back to u and let you know if it was it
Thanx again

Good Day Lad, Kawasaki went a bit further with, "self adjusting". you are probably hearing a , tapping caused by exhaust flange leak.. First thing to do is check your exhaust to head bolts for proper torque, I run a 1500 and it seems that everytime I need an oil change, I re-tighten the exhaust studs. Tapping goes away. Give it a shot and Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hi,
I to am new to the vulcan line of bikes... I got a great deal on mine and well....it a bad ass little bike...
Ok so heres the problem, I have a lot of tapping comeing from the top of the engine(valves).
Now i went to the dealer i got it from and they told me it has hydrolic lifters and thats what your hearing....
I was looking up the schematics and i did not see them....
Can someone shed some light for me?
oh its a 2011 900 custom..:) and is 2 months old and has 2000 miles on it:D
Thanx
I hate to say it....but we have a name for it....The "Kawi tick"....It's embarrassingly loud sometimes. It won't quiet down until you need your valves adjusted....lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LoL ok well thats does suck!! it sounds like i have a little guy banging away inside.. im also running 20/50 oil and its still bad...could they be adjusted now?

I hate to say it....but we have a name for it....The "Kawi tick"....It's embarrassingly loud sometimes. It won't quiet down until you need your valves adjusted....lol.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If both the front and rear top ends sound about the same, I'd simply call it 'kawi tick'. My vn900 makes a fair amount of noise and I just live with it. My last street bike was a norton commando so I might be desensitized to engine noise. If one bank sounds significantly louder, I'd look into that one with a feeler gauge under the rockers. I can't believe both banks would be having a similar problem, so if they sound the same, it's probably innate noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes um..... the ticking varies with the loudness. mostly when im cruising at 50mph and it does get louder as the RPMS go up... im thinking its just the kawi tick.
Not happy with it but i guess ill have to grow numb to it:D

If both the front and rear top ends sound about the same, I'd simply call it 'kawi tick'. My vn900 makes a fair amount of noise and I just live with it. My last street bike was a norton commando so I might be desensitized to engine noise. If one bank sounds significantly louder, I'd look into that one with a feeler gauge under the rockers. I can't believe both banks would be having a similar problem, so if they sound the same, it's probably innate noise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey so i went and tightened my exhaust bolts, now they werent loose but they werent tight....
needless to say that loud tapping is gone!!! i can hear the kawi tick now but hey ill take that over when i had....
Thanx guys for the help
Ride Safe:D

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just did my 15K-mile service a few weeks ago and I was looking forward to adjusting the valves. I thought since now it's "broken in" I could quiet (at least at little) that constant tapping. Well I switched out some shims, got everything perfectly in spec and guess what ... still tap, tap, tapping away. ha

It doesn't bother me that much. I absolutely love the bike. Lowering that sound was just on my wish list. I checked my exhaust bolts (along with A LOT of others that we have to check at that service) and the exhaust was the right torque. No doubt it is the Kawi Tick and there's no stopping it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
There's nothing self adjusting about the '11 900cc engine that I can see. The cam drives a rocker which has a shim in between it and the valve stem. Best the OP pops the covers off and check the valve lash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was thinking about doing that but i figured with the bike being 2 months old the dealer would look at it for me free of charge.... HAHA:)HAHAHA Thats funny!!! so um i think im gonna do like you said and check it myself...

There's nothing self adjusting about the '11 900cc engine that I can see. The cam drives a rocker which has a shim in between it and the valve stem. Best the OP pops the covers off and check the valve lash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts