Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting some tapping or ticking on the left side of the running motor only (or mostly). Things I've seen on other threads include cam chain tensioner and valve noise. Based on it being only on the left, is it likely to be one or the other of these?

The tapping is rhythmic and regular and seems in-time with the engine. It is not very loud but it is noticeable and different from the way it sounded before. I have a video but I don't know how to post it - it won't upload like a regular photo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Upload video to Youtube and then post link here.

Provide more info. Mileage, something done to bike recently?

Valve clearance need to be inspected every 6k miles and adjusted if necessary.
Weak cam chain tensioner spring can also be the culprit causing cam chain slack.
Stretched cam chain also causes slack and ticking.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upload video to Youtube and then post link here.

Provide more info. Mileage, something done to bike recently?

Valve clearance need to be inspected every 6k miles and adjusted if necessary.
Weak cam chain tensioner spring can also be the culprit causing cam chain slack.
Stretched cam chain also causes slack and ticking.
OK I'm hoping this works. I posted a video here:

It's hard to hear it in the video, and it sounds most prominent when I'm filming near the L muffler -- in reality it is loudest right up near the engine on the L side.

It's a 2006 EN500LTD with about 20K miles. Nothing done to it recently except I took it on a long trip when I first noticed this and some other symptoms (I made a separate post about those). Namely loss of power 1-2 times momentarily, and one time the bike stalled on me at low speed. But I am starting to think those issues are not related.

Thanks for any advice - I will check the valve clearance when I have a chance. I also plan to change the plugs.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
When the engine slows down it sound like the cam chain tensioner noise. Irritating to the ears but not harmful to the engine. It will eventually 'click' over to the next notch and be all quiet again for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts