Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is going to be an ongoing problem, but whatever. It is where I am now.

So, I just blew a few more bucks on the bike. I now have oscillating head and brake lights, a helmet that fits correctly (kind of REALLY FREAKIN' IMPORTANT), a summer jacket (mesh), I just ordered a fall/spring/maybe winter jacket and pants (The summer is slow starting here around Chicago), an engine guard, and a smoke visor for my helmet. I am hoping to be done with my 'start up' costs soon.

So, I am really close to being tapped out for a while. Here is the problem: I want to start taking the bike to work, but I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff with me around the office, and I can't afford saddlebags, yet. What is a acceptable, affordable, maybe 2 year lasting 'trunk' (you can see my price range when I am asking for disposable luggage) that I can use that would hold my heavier riding gear, a cheap bike cover, and maybe a small briefcase? Oh, did I mention that my avatar pic is what I have to work with? (no sissy, no luggage shelf. Again, out of my price range right now)

I am also looking for both a good and a cheap (2 different covers, for clarity. Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence anymore.) 'parked at work/resting in garage for a few days' cover. I'll worry about a 'winter cover' depending on if I can afford some heated gear (and the outlets to power it, and whatever else I discover that I might need to support that) :D

So, suggestions would be appreciated. Reading these forums, I know that many of you were at one time or another in my same spot of more needs and wants than dollars for them. (I notice that some live in this place in perpetuity :p, I understand why! So many mods, so few dollars...) I figured I got the important stuff first, so now I can skimp on not-so-important-going-to-get-replacements-anyway stuff.

Thanks,
Otis

·
Registered
498 Posts
What kinda a budget is is low I think there was a nice looking trunk in the classifieds for $100. Honestly look on Craigslist you can find some used bags for a little of nothing. At the moment I have a net on the pillion lol. It actually fits snug but is stretchy enough that I have had a gas powered leaf blower on the seat and secured to drive over to a friends house(his blower he needed it back) It came out of the trunk of my wifes car Lol!! but when empty If you check the picture game post you can see it lays completly flat when not in use. I have had my laptop under it more than once but wouldn't recommend it in the rain.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I see lots of people ride wearing a backpack, lots of storage in them. You can find a cheap cover for your bike for around $25 i would guess. So, for around 50 bucks you can temporarily solve your $$ problem. Good luck...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
a buddy has some kind of round duffle that straps to his handle bars above the headlite. he can pack lots of krap in it and it works like a wind break. also not have all that weight on yor back.. tho I use the bakpak occasionally. if its heavy, I adjust the straps so the weight is on the fender(or pass seat) and not on my back.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I hear ya, man. The IRS swooped in during the night and wiped out my savings account.

I'm actually thinking about selling my Fender P bass so I can buy a trunk system. I have bags, but I ALWAYS need more STUFF!!!:D

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A good sized duffle bag sitting on your passenger seat carefully strapped on would provide some storage. Ugly, but functional!

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
That's what credit is for! You know you want it! You deserve it! Go ahead, you can pay it off later and enjoy it now!

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's what credit is for! You know you want it! You deserve it! Go ahead, you can pay it off later and enjoy it now!
Yeah, it's the American way! :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nothing wrong with a backpack on your back. No need for a fancy MC specific one either. I used one for a while and occasionally I will strap one to my sissy bar if I'm bringing my laptop somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Um... yeah. I am a full blooded American, already, thanks. How do you think I have gotten the stuff that I already have? Visa has been sending me thank you notes... Often. (no discounts or breaks, but at least thank you notes.)

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
One name....Dave Ramsey. Living on credit is just wrong for a whole lot of reasons.....Some times you just gotta suck it up and wait for awhile.....

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm thinking backpack or sling bag. I use a UTG messenger bag once in a while. Slings over one shoulder and I can slide it around behind me and it rests on the seat. A laptop won't fit in it though. Think creatively!

I also use a cargo net to keep my cooler on my seat every day. Works great! costs around $5. At Walmart of course!

·
Registered
273 Posts
dilemna

How bout' making a call to that Illinois retired couple who are 1/3 of the McMillion winning lottery winners? They surely don't need all that cash I wouldn't think?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
You're a bad, bad man ;)
I am sure it was said in fun, but you are right overall.
It was a struggle, but now we have no car notes, no credit card bills gathering interest. We pay everything off at the end of the month to avoid interest.
Even the Vulcan was bought cash...

Rod

·
Registered
851 Posts
Looking for a nice quality bag for a cheap price, try Leatherup.com. I think they have unbeatable prices for saddlebags, coats, boots and chaps. A buddy ordered bags from them and I ordered two leather jackets for I and the wife with no complaints. http://http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Parts/933.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts