Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t find much info on this but I know someone else must have done this already. I’m chopping a VN900 and I want a shorter, smaller tank. I know I’ll have to weld in a plate to adapt the fuel pump into the bottom of the new tank and I plan on eliminating the thermostat but is there anything lease I need to know? Most of the tanks I like are for carbed models. My main question is what’s the difference between a carbed model tank and an EFI tank, specifically the venting? Is the VN900 a ‘closed’ or pressurized tank fuel system? Any reason why a carbed tank wouldn’t work as long as I can manage to get the EFI pump in it? Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've never seen anyone devise a matrix that would show all Kawasaki usable parts transfers from one model to another. THAT would be a useful tool wouldn't it?!

Even if someone did generate such a matrix, for my bike should I ever want to change tanks for a larger one, I'm pretty sure the matrix would say "NONE".

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I’m going to press forward anyway. My plan is to save my original tank in case my plan completely fails. So far I’ve bought a mangled VN900 tank off eBay as a donor. I’m going to cut the fuel pump and fuel sender mounting rings off the bottom to affix to my new tank. Right now I’m thinking 3.5 gallon split tanks from a 50’s era Harley. Then my plan it to graft my Kawasaki speedo into a Harley dash cover. Also in case anyone was wondering, you can completely disconnect the Vulcans speedometer unit (incl. warning lights, odometer, etc) and it still runs just fine. Because I just might choose to go with a king peanut tank and run an independent speedometer somewhere other than on the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts