Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last week, was on a trip and driving down an isolated road, took my hands off handle bars (which i occasionally do) to tighten gloves. Handle bars started to wobble. Most times it did not do this.

I had to replace the tires, so this week i Put Commander II on. What a difference in cornering and overall smoothness, but now if i lightly take my hands off bars at any speed, starts to wobble???

I have Counteract balancing beads in. As i did before.

ANy thoughts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
steering wobble

I've been running the commanders for a few seasons, Had hands -free wobble.
Replaced steering head bearing with All Balls roller type. Not quite gone.
Added Garry's fork brace.
Run front at 28 psi. rear at 42 psi
Hands free now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replaced steering head bearing with All Balls rollewhar type. Not quite gone.
Hands free now.
What was your front psi when still a bit of wobble? I've read most people don't have such a low psi in front, even though that is what manual states. I put 34 psi.

Was it your steering head bearing or perhaps your steering head nut was not tight enough prior?

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Replaced steering head bearing with All Balls roller type. Not quite gone.
Hands free now.
Oh yeah I knew I did something else. I LOVE my fork brace, though it was a devil to get on. On my second set of Commanders , I run 34 in front. At 28 PSI she wants to turn in a little hard and tries to cup. Same as you n the rear at 42 PSI. Ride Safe:grin2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
What was your front psi when still a bit of wobble? I've read most people don't have such a low psi in front, even though that is what manual states. I put 34 psi.

Was it your steering head bearing or perhaps your steering head nut was not tight enough prior?
I don't recall the original bridgestone tires having a wobble. That be the first 8,000 kms or so.

Never checked OEM head bearing torque. Just went straight to the rollers.
Wrecked the head nut using a flat end chisel to remove/tighten.
Bought a 43-45 mm bicycle wrench, cut in half to use with fairing in place.
Think part of issue was roller bearings not fully seated. The bicycle wrench worked real good with a new nut.

Have replaced fork springs with stiffer Racetech, max preload too. Maybe a touch too much.

That's a big tire up front, so not surprised Kawasaki has a low fill pressure. Just thought to go back to stock pressure and see how it goes.
Do mostly two up riding with full camping gear, so close to GVWR.

Front is good now. it's sweeper dips that brings wobble lurking...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts