Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I hit a deer yesterday going down a county road in IA and messed up my tank pretty good. I thankfully walked away with just some road rash and a sore ankle. I know its a shot in the dark, but was wondering if anyone had a gas tank with the same color scheme as mine. I have found some on ebay, but none with the same color scheme. Basically just seeing if someone had one they could sell. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. I just wanted to see if there was anyone with spare tank. I understand that this is not going to be likely lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. As someone mentioned, you could always get it fixed and painted, or buy one then have it painted. The paint is the easy part. (I work & spray paint for a well known refinish paint company!)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to hear you are ok. As someone mentioned, you could always get it fixed and painted, or buy one then have it painted. The paint is the easy part. (I work & spray paint for a well known refinish paint company!)
I'm not sure if you could see the picture that great, but do you think that someone wit experience could fix a dent like that? That would be awesome if they could

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, it can be fixed! Take a look for example here ;)
I don't say that is the best example, but it can be fixed.
wow that's pretty amazing. Thanks for pointing that out to me this is definitely going to be something that i consider doing. I'm not sure what the cost of materials would be, but i'm sure it is less than the $250+ that it is going to cost for a new tank.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Long time ago I had an old retro (1955) Russian motorcycle IZ-49. Actually, my first one ;) When I bought it, there were some serious smashes on the tank and even some rusty holes in mudguards. I fixed them by soldering. (Because welding of fuel tanks can be rather hard and dangerous). I used a simple soldering iron, thin metal pates and a tin. So, almost everything (except good quality painting) can be fixed even at Your own garage. So, in my opinion, the most expensive is the paint and the painting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Long time ago I had an old retro (1955) Russian motorcycle IZ-49. Actually, my first one ;) When I bought it, there were some serious smashes on the tank and even some rusty holes in mudguards. I fixed them by soldering. (Because welding of fuel tanks can be rather hard and dangerous). I used a simple soldering iron, thin metal pates and a tin. So, almost everything (except good quality painting) can be fixed even at Your own garage. So, in my opinion, the most expensive is the paint and the painting.
the paint and painting is the part that i'm worried about. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that i know that paints, and don;t really want to pay a shop to do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't You have any painting workshop there? Sure, I dont know Your prices, but here in Latvia, it would cost no more than 100 EUR including color. Even cheaper if You could do all the pre-jobs yourself.
You should ask a member scrappin.mel, may be he can help You with an advice here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i were able to fix the dent myself, do you have any idea how much the paint part of it would cost? How much would a shop charge me?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am in NW Iowa and have hit 3 deer with my car over the last 30 years, and my wife hit one with her car. They are sneaky critters. Had a couple cross my path while riding the bike. and one actualld kicked the front tire of my 500 with his rear leg as he crossed in front of me, just felt a bit of a jolt on the handlebars, and kept on going. Call them long legged rats and they are all over the place around here. Even in our back yard and on the driveway, during the winter I can see tracks going up the driveway to the hay field behind our house. They go from East Okoboji Lake (across the street from our house) to the field behind our house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My husband looked at your pic. He builds, fixes & paints bikes. He said it's better for you to get a new tank. That dent will take too much time, effort and money to be fixed. If you find a tank and need it painted, we can do that for you. Winter is coming. It's a great time to paint a bike. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My husband looked at your pic. He builds, fixes & paints bikes. He said it's better for you to get a new tank. That dent will take too much time, effort and money to be fixed. If you find a tank and need it painted, we can do that for you. Winter is coming. It's a great time to paint a bike. Best of luck to you!
the more i look at it the more i think that im going to need to. Thanks for the opinion i don't know much about that kind of stuff. I dont know what shipping costs would be from IA to NJ, but i cant imagine it would be anything too crazy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts