Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... taking my seat off to wash the bike down the other day, I noticed a lot of wear on the tank from where the seat rubs, and more in the fender area. Any of you have tricks to lessen/stop these scratches and worn spots??? Also, following that line of thinking, if I use standard saddlebag brackets with a throwover saddlebag, can I expect the same type of scratches and wear on the back fender? If so... I will definitely lean toward the easybracket type of solution instead.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have noticed the rubbing on the tank where the seat fits into the forward bracket. Since it is covered up, I figured it was probably no big deal. I could see it being a problem for someone who has the bike for 10-20 thousand miles and then decides to get a custom seat that doesn't cover the same areas allowing the rubs to show.

I know there are some clear vinyl products that can be applied like contact paper to high traffic areas on cars. I think some of the Jeep sites have sheets of clear plastic that is intended to take the wear in areas around where your foot will hit the door sill when getting into the tub of a Jeep. You may could cut a piece of that and stretch it to cover the area where the rub is.

I would also expect some rubbing/scratches where your layover type saddlebag mount is contacting the fender. Get some hard mounts. They work better anyway. I have Willie & Max Revolution bags with their universal mount brackets. I even made them quick release by replacing the original bolts with some threaded rod. This way I can pop them off for ease of washing the rear tire & rim.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Check out clear plastic numberplate backrounds. Its sold in self adhesive sheets and can be purchased from any number of MX/offroad supply companies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have noticed the rubbing on the tank where the seat fits into the forward bracket. Since it is covered up, I figured it was probably no big deal. I could see it being a problem for someone who has the bike for 10-20 thousand miles and then decides to get a custom seat that doesn't cover the same areas allowing the rubs to show.

I know there are some clear vinyl products that can be applied like contact paper to high traffic areas on cars. I think some of the Jeep sites have sheets of clear plastic that is intended to take the wear in areas around where your foot will hit the door sill when getting into the tub of a Jeep. You may could cut a piece of that and stretch it to cover the area where the rub is.

I would also expect some rubbing/scratches where your layover type saddlebag mount is contacting the fender. Get some hard mounts. They work better anyway. I have Willie & Max Revolution bags with their universal mount brackets. I even made them quick release by replacing the original bolts with some threaded rod. This way I can pop them off for ease of washing the rear tire & rim.
JP

I see you are not too far from home. Any way, I would like to see the quick release of your bags, I have the same ones. And, do the top of your lids sag down? I have talked with W&M and they said it was something they were working on. That is my only dislike of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have the same problem and it shows up bad on black paint . i have just been using a buffer i got from a friend to return it back to new shine. i think i'm going to invest in one and maybe that powerball thing that fits on a drill . if you get a fix let me know

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I ALLWAYS wax that area every time I get a new bike, I've never had a problem.Just peel up the seat (or in the 900's case,whip the seat off) and put two coats of wax on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts