Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a friends 96 1500. Been sitting. Tank has rust so pulled tank. Wanted to bump the starter to see if it would turn. Put in a fairly new battery that's showing 13.5 volts. Checked all fuses. Turned key and nothing. No lights or anything.
Does the tank and all the electrical connectors need to be on to get power? If not. Any suggestions> TAI

·
Registered
72 Posts
be sure its in neutral, check batt connectns are clean and tight. any noise from starter relay?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
just cause its showing 13.5, might be "surface volts" with no deep crank ability ( it happened to me). check your whole starting curcuit, but you also say no lights like gilligans isle, try doing voltage drops across main power connections - check voltage on the battery side then check otherside -away from battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If it's just a surface charge, the measured voltage will drop like a rock when trying to pull a heavy load like starting.

If the voltage does not drop at all or very minimally, then there is no demand or an insignificant demand being placed on the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So tank does not have to be on? Also, if I install the battery and then also jump it off my truck, without it running, and still have no lights, then it should be in the circuit somewhere. Right?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in here. Most (if not all) Vulcans have a factory designed feature where the headlight doesn't come on until the engine is running.

Can be a real life saver if you're in a situation where you need the key on without the engine running for an extended period of time.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in here. Most (if not all) Vulcans have a factory designed feature where the headlight doesn't come on until the engine is running.

Can be a real life saver if you're in a situation where you need the key on without the engine running for an extended period of time.
My headlight comes on after the key is turned on but not until the starter is engaged. The engine need not be running. The headlight should come on as soon as you bump the starter.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
So tank does not have to be on? Also, if I install the battery and then also jump it off my truck, without it running, and still have no lights, then it should be in the circuit somewhere. Right?

Your tank does not have to be on. I have done tuning work on mine with the tank off, I just rigged up a little stand that works like an IV stand with a little plastic bottle of gas hanging from it and a tube from it to the carb. That way you can access the carb for fine adjustment.

Did you check the 10A ignition switch fuse in the fuse box under the seat?

·
Registered
250 Posts
My headlight comes on after the key is turned on but not until the starter is engaged. The engine need not be running. The headlight should come on as soon as you bump the starter.
I stand corrected. I've gotten so used to mine starting pretty easily that I forgot the headlight will come on after just bumping the starter. Normally I don't release the starter button until the engine catches, so I hadn't even thought about the starter bump triggering it. Good catch Patrick!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I stand corrected. I've gotten so used to mine starting pretty easily that I forgot the headlight will come on after just bumping the starter. Normally I don't release the starter button until the engine catches, so I hadn't even thought about the starter bump triggering it. Good catch Patrick!
Hey, even a broken clock is bound to be right occasionally! :surprise::wink2:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey, even a broken clock is bound to be right occasionally! :surprise::wink2:
Oh ha ha! But twice a day is pretty good... I'll just limit myself to 2 answers per day hahahahaha. But no one has ever answered my question about the clocks... If a broken clock is still right twice a day, how often is a broken digital clock right? Is it always right because it never gives you the wrong answer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts