Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read about guys getting 200 miles on a tank. I'm getting nearer to 150 - just riding around town - does that seem about right? Loads of traffic lights in Swansea! Light comes one with fuel still sloshing about in there. How many miles from light on to running dry on average? I'm pretty heavy on the throttle with engine braking - tends to use the juice eh?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't keep a really close eye on such things, but I did check it about a month ago. My fuel light came on around 150 mi., and I filled up at 198 mi. with approx. 4.3 gallons. My memory's not so great so I'll check those numbers tonight (if I can remember where I wrote them down).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I hit 165 miles tonight and the gas gauge needle was just getting on the red mark.
It took 3.25 gallons to fill it, so that's about 1.5 gal still in the tank.

The last 2 tanks I had another 20 miles til the gas light came on,
Then the dealer said there is about 19 miles with the gas light on.

Got to shift it a bit easier occasionally, not so much 0 to 60 to 0 in a blink.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I keep track. Averaging 44 mpg over 5700 miles. Light comes on around 170 miles. Usually put around 4 gallons each fill-up. Owned bike since new. Mixed city and rural highways (no interstates).

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Your from Wales, remember that most comments here are from the US ... a US gallon is 3.78 ltrs. Fuel mileage is subjective, the hard twisting of the wrist, tire size, elevation, highway or city riding and aftermarket pipes, air kits and processors will all have a impact on mileage.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Most of my riding is near 50 mph. I almost always make it between 190-200 miles before the light comes on. One time it was near 220. Good oil, good air filter, decent speed, and these bikes have the range.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I don't keep a really close eye on such things, but I did check it about a month ago. My fuel light came on around 150 mi., and I filled up at 198 mi. with approx. 4.3 gallons. My memory's not so great so I'll check those numbers tonight (if I can remember where I wrote them down).
This sounds about right for me as well. I crossed the 200 mile mark with about .7 gallons left in the tank (and my low light was on for some time).

·
Registered
35 Posts
My fuel light routinely comes on at 200 miles so I figure I have about 40-50 miles left. On longer intervals at highway speeds the mileage slips some due to higher revs. Best I've gotten was 63mpg on the Blue Ridge Parkway, sticking to the speed limit of 40-45 mph and no stoplights or signs

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Brilliant and helpful replies fellas! I would imagine I could get nearer to 200 if I cruised constantly. Thrilled even with 150 as my sportsbike got about 90! Would like to know how far I can go from light-on to empty but don't want to roll to a halt! Thanks again:)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wouild like to know how far I can go from light-on to empty but don't want to roll to a halt! Thanks again:)
When mine came on the first time (couple of years ago) I filled it immediately and had over a gallon in the tank (approx. 1.4 gallons) so I figured I had about 60 miles left in the tank. Lowest I have gone is 0.5 gallons left in the tank and the light was on for what seemed a very long time.

Recommend you do some of your own testing to see how much is left in the tank when the light comes on. Then you can figure how far you can go based on your MPG.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ya the first few times I filled up it shocked me I didn't put near 5gal in. Then realized from here that it's off. So I kept track of gallons vs miles and figured at the very least (lowest mpg) I had 35 miles before I needed to fill it and to go ahead and start looking.

most of my travel is commuting in traffic and occasional highway/backroad cruising.

I should've gotten an app to keep track but last fill up was 46.7 mpg avg :)

Always better than my trucks 17 :(

·
Registered
847 Posts
mpg gauge etc.

200 miles is about right. I have gone 225. We know these gauges are not exactly correct. Ditto on the BRP. that's about what I get 60 mpg +-. Had a hard ride last week end lots of 75-80 on the slab and a mix of country and city traffic as well, avg. 50 mpg for the trip. I bought this bike based on the range on a tank of fuel. I would have bought the 1600 but at the time it only had a 4.5 gal tank and 160 miles was tops for fill ups. makes little sense to me, small bore big tank, big bore small tank...go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts