Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After struggling for probably over an hour to find a way to get the tank level sensor, I decided since it wasn't working anyway to put some muscle behind it. The attached pictures are what I found when it finally came out. I have fixed it now and the resistance reads perfectly, but can you spot the problem it had???

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
How DID they do that?

·
Registered
375 Posts
HI V2kTJ

Hmmm... Let's see, it,s either the toilet tank float instead of gas tank float or someone soldered both wires to the same contact. Did I guess right? I have seen many toilet tank floats but this is my first V2k gas gauge float!

Why did it give you such a hard time coming out?

WEG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be pretty funny if it was a toilet tank float, but it would probably still work! If you aren't familiar with this sensor it may not be clear at first just from the pics, but after studying it in my hand for a minute it was immediately clear there was a problem and a multimeter quickly confirmed.

It is supposed to look like this picture. There is a metal contact attached to the float rod which should slide across the arc of resistors varying the total resistance as the fuel level changes. Mine was installed outside of the hard stops so that the contact couldn't touch anything, and thus I had an open circuit regardless of the tank level. Not really sure how the previous owner did this because it was difficult to put it back in the right position without breaking anything, but I got it done. Now the resistance reads as it should, 4 ohms at full and 216 at empty :D I hope it will go back in the tank now easier than it came out!

I doubt this will be the solution to anyone else's fuel level problems, but it gave me a lot of frustration and a good laugh afterwards so I thought I would share.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts