Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
woo hoo ! My custom seat from Russell cycle products arrived...and of course I had to mount instantly....:)

They raised me an inch...and mounted the Utopia driver backrest I sent along... feels GREAT around the neighborhood...but we leave tomorrow for a couple day ride..and I will come back and report after I put some real miles on it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... but I know it is not the most stylish seat around.... with the mismatched backrest and all....but it WILL be the most comfortable seat and that is what I got it for....!

LOL....sounds kinda like my husband

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
just back from about 500 mi of riding on my new seat... Russell Daylong....and I gotta say it is a wonderful seat... EXACTLY what I need anyway ....

some observations...

--first time in twenty thousand miles I have not used an airhawk... worked just fine
--when you are sitting directly on the vinyl ( not an airhawk) your butt gets warmer huh !
--the Utopia driver backrest is great.... wonderful to have support there
--this seat raises me up to the point I go tippy toe to stabilize the bike...unless I slide forward out of the pocket of the seat. A bit different but I am getting used to it....
--the Russell mod puts more firm support under your thighs...and I feel some soreness there because that part of the seat is pretty stiff still... I am told that it will break in over time. Also, my last run was 200 miles straight out and I didnt even notice it the last 200 mi....so maybe I am already used to that.
Overall, this is a great seat for me...no uncomfortable areas anywhere..... and I realize that raising myself up was a big part of what I needed... all this emphasis on lowering the seat on a motorcycle doesnt work well for tall folks....!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Good update on that Russell, I was at a bike show yesterday and there was a mobile seat guy that does custom gel packs. I had him put in 6 lbs of gel with my original cover back on. So far it is an improvement over stock. Since he contoured the existing foam before inserting the gel, it did not change the height.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Hi Annie

I have been following your seat thread. Your saddle looks great to me, nice and comfy, that's what counts. I reckon that is a sign of maturity, finally.

My question is just how tall are you (inseam)? Quite frankly, I purchased the 900LT because of weight and seat height. The last thing I want to be doing anymore is tip toeing a bike around especially 2 up. Yeah, I have to on the Buell occasionally, but it only weighs 450lbs and have given up any notion it was designed for passenger.

I realize everything is a compromise.
Also, is the backrest removable.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ashtavakra..
(can we call you 'Ashta" or somethin? :))

I am 6' 3" tall and my inseam is 34"... but dont blame the tippy toe effect on Russell.. I asked them specifically to build it so it would raise me up 2 inches. I knew that the Airhawk was doing about that...so I asked for it special. Their normal seat can be no raise... or 1 inch raise, etc.
Also... the tippy toe effect is going away as the seat breaks in.... the wings are getting softer... so a 2" raise with a 34 inch inseam will end up just able to flat foot the bike.

The Utopia backrest is not quick removing... it does fold down flat to the driver seat tho ...so it is easy to swing a leg over....then you flip it back up before you sit. It has an easily accessed single bolt and aircraft nut to remove it. If you remove it, there is a small black stub sticking up about a half inch on the very front of the pillion.... not in the way of any passenger tho. The Utopia bolts to the stock pillion so you cannot use it if you dont have the stock pillion.

it really is about comfy now for me... :)... I rode 200 miles straight out with one gas stop...no stretch stops...no 'ow my butt hurts' stops.... and just swung my leg off and walked away with no pain. This is unheardof even when I was using the airhawk....... it IS a comfortable seat finally.

Tallannie

Hi Annie

I have been following your seat thread. Your saddle looks great to me, nice and comfy, that's what counts. I reckon that is a sign of maturity, finally.

My question is just how tall are you (inseam)? Quite frankly, I purchased the 900LT because of weight and seat height. The last thing I want to be doing anymore is tip toeing a bike around especially 2 up. Yeah, I have to on the Buell occasionally, but it only weighs 450lbs and have given up any notion it was designed for passenger.

I realize everything is a compromise.
Also, is the backrest removable.

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks... but I know it is not the most stylish seat around.... with the mismatched backrest and all....but it WILL be the most comfortable seat and that is what I got it for....!

LOL....sounds kinda like my husband
You could do what I did which was to send the backrest back to Russell to have them re-upholster it with the same material as the seat. That's what I did with my passenger backrest and now everything matches up perfectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts