Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all... just bought a 2009 VN2000 classic for what I think was a great price...$9000 out the door. Wow what a ride this thing is.... :)
I figured for the money difference from the LT model, I can easily put windshield, bags, engine guard and a custom seat on it and still come out way ahead. I love the red / gold color combo too.

any leads to pullback risers for this bike that work would be appreciated...looks like Phat risers would bump the speedo housing ?

and leads to a good windshield ? I like the classic look....but the OEM shield is over $600. The memphis fats I had on my other bike was only brushed aluminum and didnt look as nice as that chrome...?

any other pointers for a newbie owner of this wonderful machine... much appreciated....!

Annie

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Bruiser of a Cruiser

Hi all... just bought a 2009 VN2000 classic for what I think was a great price...$9000 out the door. Wow what a ride this thing is.... :) any other pointers for a newbie owner of this wonderful machine... much appreciated....!

Annie
TA, welcome to the bruisers club! Pointers- Numero Uno; DO NOT add more oil to your motor when it reads low or not on the stick.:confused: This motor/tranny is fickle how it holds all 5qts. Trust that you have plenty in there. If you try to top it off, it will spit it back into the airbox and run all down the side of your shiney new bruiser-cruiser.
ok, thats all. have fun and welcome aboard.:) out, ponch

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you for purchasing the Vulcan 2000, Kawasaki's newest flagship cruiser.

Because the Vulcan 2000 has a unique semi-dry sump lubrication system with separate oil chambers in the crank room, clutch side cover and transmission room, the engine oil level indicated on the dipstick is very sensitive to oil temperature, the motorcycle's position and engine RPM at time of shut down.

Under certain conditions, oil can accumulate in the crank and clutch areas and give a false low reading on the dipstick in the transmission room. This can result in false low readings and oil overlilling, which often leads to oil being pushed out of the crankcase vent and into the airbox.

Use the following procedure, which is also outlined in the Owners's Manual, for checking oil level:

Verify Engine Oil Presence
Before starting the engine, verify that the engine contains oil by removing the oil filler cap/dispstick in the lower right side of the engine. If the dipstick is dry, tip the motorcycle slightly to the right and look thru the filler holde until oil appears. If no oil appears even when the machine is tipped at an extreme angle, remove the oil drain plugs to empty any oil that may be in the transmission, crankcase and clutch cover. Reinstall the drain plugs and refill with the specified amount of oil. Continue with Engine Oil Level Inspection.

CAUTION: If the engine is run without oil, it will be severely damaged.

Engine Oil Level Inspection
After you have verified that the engine contains oil, start the engine and allow it to idle for several minutes to thoroughtly warm the oil in the transmission room to 125 degrees Fahrenheit according to the following chart:

Air Temp Idle Time
40 degrees 15 minutes
65 degrees 10 minutes
100 degrees 5 minutes

*NOTE: During this time the auxilliary cooling fan may be activated several times.
After allowing the engine to idle for the specified time, shut it off. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE AND SHUT IF OFF AT HIGHER THAN IDLE RPM. Doing so can leave a significant amount of oil in the crank room and clutch area, leading to a false low oil level reading.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tallannie, Congrats on the new ride. I bet you are going to really enjoy it. Sounds like you got a super deal on it also. Good for you!. :)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yes, the oil checking procedure does seem unnecessarily complex, however heed well the advice.

I followed it to the letter, even measuring the temperature with an IR thermometer, and set the oil level to 1/2 way up the dipstick. I've got a few hundred miles on it since then and don't have any oil coming out of the breather housing. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL...! thanks for the restatement of the oil checking procedure. LOL
I did read that in the manual ( yes I read it )...and I did read it in this forum section as I have re-read almost all the posts in this section. I PROMISE I will be exacting and careful when i check oil. LOL If that is the only quirk in this machine's operation, I will be very happy.

what is a good rule of thumb for a quick belt tension check?

ALSO... how about the "rebound damping force adjustment" for the rear shock? The text in the manual is confusing. Anybody adjust this? how?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
WOW, from a beast to a BEAST! And here I was all worried about your ride time with sellin' the old bike and all... :p

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just couldnt help myself.. :eek:

My name is Annie and I am a rider...

WOW, from a beast to a BEAST! And here I was all worried about your ride time with sellin' the old bike and all... :p

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
thumbalina

what is a good rule of thumb for a quick belt tension check? ALSO... how about the "rebound damping force adjustment" for the rear shock? The text in the manual is confusing. Anybody adjust this? how?
TA, thumb rules; normaly you want to keep em out of moving parts.. if you want to keep em.;) Re the belt; if you can flex it midway 45degree either way you should be good. Should be done while sitting on the bike. some of us just cant reach that far. I remove upper n lower belt gards and can. just not while in motion.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I found out through my own mistakes on a previous bike that trying to use after market accesories such as the back rest, windshield and bags turned out to be a disaster. I couldnt get it just right so this time around I bought the 08 classic LT so I wouldnt have to bother trying to match everything to the bike. I paid 9400 for the 08 LT leftover, new. You still got a great price but if you want to outfit the bike right, it will still cost you about 1200 to 1500. The good thing is you get to pick what type of bags and everything else. If your going to get bags, do not get the throw over type. Get bags that use easy brackets and have hard insets. They are easily removable and dont mess up the paint on the rear fender, plus look much better. Also make sure you buy a bracket mounting windshield which is adjustable, not a cheap clip on type. Spend the extra money for good quality stuff and you wont have to buy it over and over again like I had to in the past. Like I said before, thats why I just opted for the LT because it was all done already.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the tips.... and, Mac, I have been thru fully accessorizing a couple of bikes so far so i know what not to do !! But i do not like the look of the bags on the LT...and didnt like the LT seat....so I will take my chances.

I have also done hardbags before.....THIS time I will get it right...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great help about the damper adjust ...

can i ask for clairification on the 'flex 45 degree" comment? Flexing a belt into a 45 deg angle sounds awful loose !! ???

Annie

TA, thumb rules; normaly you want to keep em out of moving parts.. if you want to keep em.;) Re the belt; if you can flex it midway 45degree either way you should be good. Should be done while sitting on the bike. some of us just cant reach that far. I remove upper n lower belt gards and can. just not while in motion.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
thanks for the tips.... and, Mac, I have been thru fully accessorizing a couple of bikes so far so i know what not to do !! But i do not like the look of the bags on the LT...and didnt like the LT seat....so I will take my chances.

I have also done hardbags before.....THIS time I will get it right...
Im sorry, I didnt want to sound like you never did this before. I was more or less explaining about how I made some bad decisions with my last bike to try and save some money by using cheap aftermarket accesories and i ended up buying two seperate windshields and two seperate sets of bags and still didnt like the way they worked. You did the right choice for you because you have all the options now to get exactly what you want and since youve been there and done that, you know as well as me what not to do. I just happend to like the LT set up and also put my own twist to it with highway bars, cobra exhaust and custome backrest plus some more goodies in the future. Once again, didnt mean to undermind you or your experience.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the Thumb Rules... or does it?

Great help about the damper adjust ... can i ask for clairification on the 'flex 45 degree" comment? Flexing a belt into a 45 deg angle sounds awful loose !! ??? Annie
Annabelle, 45 twist is equivalent to about 1/2" (max) free play in the middle of the belt at the lower extremity. Can't be done while sitting on the bike unless you have extremely long arms.. and legs to keep from falling off the bike. 45 while the bike is unloaded is fine. I can twist it maybe 30 when sitting. its a stretch for me. I am careful not to overtighten the belt as it may put undue stress on the drive pulley bearings. Have read elsewhere that early v2ks had this problem. A loose belt will "chirp". mine never does. A tight belt will "whine". no problem here either. Remember this is just Thumb Rules for a quick check. out, ponch.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mac
..thanks for the help ...really
(((Mac)))

Annie

Im sorry, I didnt want to sound like you never did this before. I was more or less explaining about how I made some bad decisions with my last bike to try and save some money by using cheap aftermarket accesories and i ended up buying two seperate windshields and two seperate sets of bags and still didnt like the way they worked. You did the right choice for you because you have all the options now to get exactly what you want and since youve been there and done that, you know as well as me what not to do. I just happend to like the LT set up and also put my own twist to it with highway bars, cobra exhaust and custome backrest plus some more goodies in the future. Once again, didnt mean to undermind you or your experience.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhhh.... Twist! Got it now!

Regards
Anne

QUOTE=Poncho Villa;48303]Annabelle, 45 twist is equivalent to about 1/2" (max) free play in the middle of the belt at the lower extremity. Can't be done while sitting on the bike unless you have extremely long arms.. and legs to keep from falling off the bike. 45 while the bike is unloaded is fine. I can twist it maybe 30 when sitting. its a stretch for me. I am careful not to overtighten the belt as it may put undue stress on the drive pulley bearings. Have read elsewhere that early v2ks had this problem. A loose belt will "chirp". mine never does. A tight belt will "whine". no problem here either. Remember this is just Thumb Rules for a quick check. out, ponch.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
6 Posts
true this about the oil problem went through it and it sucks 5qts and only 5 qts and you'll be a happy camper I own a 2006 2000 classic and love the ride good luck with it and remember ... Rubber Down

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
a rose by any other name?

here is my new ride.....'before bling'
ok, so now what ya gonna call yer girl? assuming she be she.. or?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts