Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About two months ago I noticed that San Diego Harley was doing a women only Learn to Ride course. I emailed to see who the instructor was going to be, and they added the instructor I requested to the class. I went back onto the website about a week later to register for the class and it was full! I ended up on the waitlist.

Last week, they emailed me to say there was an opening. So, I'll be doing my class July 17th - July 21st.

I'm really excited. I keep telling DH that in less than a week, I'll be legal.

I've also been asked to do a review of the course along with a friend that recently did the MSF course as HD Learn to Ride VS MSF article. It will be posted on a local forum that is geared towards ride routes, events and general information.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So how did the class go for you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I passed!

They had us on the Street 500s and the clutch and brake levers are kind of far out for a woman. We all had a hard time reaching it and my hands were so sore yesterday that I could barely type.

The U-turn box kicked my butt. I could do it without putting a foot down, but never stayed completely in the box. So, I need to work on that.

I have an appointment with the DMV on the 6th to get my license.

It was kinda cool having an all female class. We really bonded and encouraged each other.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2014, Premium Member
365 Posts
Congrats. The class is invaluable.
Was the class full? Did everyone pass?
Post up the link to the review so we can easily access it.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Congrats, I took the condensed weekend course. So much info that you thought you already knew.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good job!

In Pa. when you pass the MSF class you are automatically licensed, no need to do the DMV test. Plus, the MSF class is free and they supply the bike. I wonder how long that will last though haha...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose the Harley class because the class size is smaller and there's more riding time. The cost difference between MSF and Harley was only $75.

Our class was limited to 6 people, 7 on the riding days because we had someone that couldn't do the riding portion during another class. The maximum number they allow for a class is 8 people. (A friend recently did the MSF and said there were over 20 in his class) The Street 500s were really comfortable. Other than the clutch/brake levers, they're easy on the body.

Everyone did pass. The small class size and more riding time meant that we could receive more instruction and practice.

Here in CA, if you take the Harley or MSF class, you only have to do the written portion of the test at the DMV.

This is the review that I have written: http://theridesiteforum.forumflash.com/index.php/topic/67-sd-harleys-women-only-riders-edge-class/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congrats. Don't think "safe". Think smart. We are all naturally predisposed for survival (keeping safe). But we aren't always smart about doing so. ;-)

You can be the safest rider on the road, but if others are being stupid around you, being a smart rider will keep you alive.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Congrats! and safe riding!

In VA if you pass the MSF course, you do not have to take the DMV road test; still have to take the written test though. I took the MSF course when i got back on a bike 9 years ago. a truly invaluable course to take! I highly recommend it to everyone i talk to who is considering getting a bike. Thinking about taking the advance course just to prove a few things to myself

·
Registered
89 Posts
I remember taking the MSF beginner's course back in 2009 when I got my first road bike. I was coming from years of ATV riding and have ridden bicycles all my life. I was the only participant (of about a dozen or so classmates) to end the course with a perfect score both on the range and in the classroom. I attribute that to my sense of balance from riding on two wheels for so long and my experiences with shifting gears and throttle control from my years on an ATV along with some common sense and also to our two very great instructors.

I wasn't able to take their weekday class due to inability to make it to class on time after work, so I took the two-day weekend class. If I remember correctly, we began at 8am that Saturday and spent several hours in a classroom going over SEE, T-CLOCS, safety videos, Tennessee motorcycle laws, etc. Then spent the rest of the day out on the range getting some seat time doing simple drills.

Sunday morning began on the range and we spent several hours going through more drills and then the last hour or so, before heading back to the classroom, we ran through all the testable drills once more, then one last time for a score, and then we headed back to the classroom to go over the results and do a quick review of what we went over in the classroom the previous morning before taking the written exam.

The class I took had us riding 125cc and 250cc bikes. I picked the Kawasaki Eliminator 125. The other bikes were Honda Rebel 250s.

Once we were done with the riding skill test and written exam, we were provided a voucher for the written and riding tests at the DMV. All I had to do to get my endorsement was walk in, show my MSF certificate, and pay $25.

The MSF course was $225, if memory serves me right. Worth every penny a thousand times over. I've also contemplated taking the advanced course, but haven't checked into it too much recently.

I imagine the difference in the bikes used for the MSF beginner's course and the H-D course would make the experience a bit different for many people. It's surely much easier to pull a figure-eight in a box in a parking lot on a 125cc than on a 500cc Harley. The skills used are the same, regardless, but the ease at which it can be done must be significantly different. I know I'd not be able to do that same maneuver on my Voyager unless the box was much larger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts