Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2012 Vulcan 900 Classic LT and have taken my gf with me on a lot of rides, but she injured her tailbone a couple of years ago and has difficulty riding longer than about 30 minutes. I've considered a Mustang seat, and I've had a few people recommend cushions or other aftermarket pads. My problem is my gf doesn't want to be sitting on something that obvious, plus the problem of stowing it when we stop somewhere.
Has anyone had any success with bicycle shorts or anything like that? I'm looking for suggestions here. I'd hate to put out that much money on a new seat and find out that it won't help either. Thanks for your help!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Look into those Tommy Copper products. from what I've seen they are designed to give extra support. They might help her.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have not tried it, but due to my wife's bone problems from metastatic breast cancer, I'm looking into the butty buddy and / or an airhawk for her. The butty buddy goes over the seat with side extensions that spread the weight. Reviews are rather positive, but I haven't met anyone with real-world experience yet. Given the price point, I may just buy it anyway, and if it doesn't help I'm not in as deep as a Mustang or Corbin.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am recovering from a broken tailbone and the Alaskan Leather Buttpad has added some additional comfort for me. The Buttpad is made from sheepskin, and you basically cannot see them when you are sitting on the seat. The Buttpad adds some extra cushion, is warmer in winter and cooler in summer, and it straps onto the seat so you do not have to remove & store it when you stop. Lastly, they are pretty inexpensive, worth a try before you sink some big bucks into an aftermarket seat. When you order online use the coupon code "deadsheep" for 10% off your entire order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do change the seat, I recommend you look at a Russel Daylong seat and have it custom made for her. The best riding seat that I've ever sit my ass on. Friendly folks there and do nothing but first class work. They have a patented spring design that do make a difference. The other thing is, hold your speed down when she is riding with you. It may make the trip longer, but she may be able to ride longer? Russel seats are not cheap, but they do increase the resale of the bike. I had them modify my Corbin seat to what they recommended and it fits great. Best thing for those 400-500 mile a day rides!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts