Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I rode from Toronto to Vancouver last summer going about 1000 kms/day. The first 3 days were fine but the last day and a half were killer...I pretty much flipped the passenger pegs down and kind of stood up on those bad boys for 5 minutes at a time then I could sit for a half hour again.

4-5 hours a day are amazingly comfortable for me...I am coming from a crotch rocket so maybe I have a different point of view but I think the comfort of this thing is awesome.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a fix that works for everyone, especially those of us with sore tailbones. I gave up, I take a handfull of Mortin before long rides. I can't keep throwing money at seats that don't fix the problem. I do the passenger peg thing too and it can interesting on the interstates getting your feet on and off the pass pegs at high speeds.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone else get tailbone pain from the 900 seat on long rides?

Is there a fix?
I get the tailbone pain too. I have looked at the Mustang seat and read the reviews. Judging by the shape of it, it should be much better based on the fact that it comes down in the back to a crease instead of having a dish at the bottom. The dish makes it so you sit right on your tailbone. The crease should provide a nice place for your tailbone to be pressure free. Anyway, that's where my money will go but not too soon because I ride my Goldwing on the long rides.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used to, an Airhawk cushion cured that. Recently bought a Mustang seat and now it is like riding on a cloud..
I did the same, love the seat. The Airhawk certainly filled the bill though, I must admit it is an excellent system and can go from bike to bike, and it was considerably cheaper.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The stock seat on my 900 was a killer, 20 minutes and my tailbone was killing me, stuck a kawi gell seat on and that helped considerably. I could get a couple hours between stops and that made for a good day of riding. I've got a Saddlemen solo seat on it now, not quite as comfy as the kawi gell seat, but still an improvement over stock. I've got a Mustang solo on my hd and it's a very comfy seat so far, but I don't have alot of miles on it yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, those Mustang seats are 400-500 bucks!

Is the "Day Tripper" going to cut it or do I need one of the bigger, more expensive ones?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I haven't found a fix yet. I think for me it's riding position more then the seat. I'm still looking for a fix. Hate to spend alot for a new seat that may not work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Used to, an Airhawk cushion cured that. Recently bought a Mustang seat and now it is like riding on a cloud..
x2... corbin makes good stuff as well. I'm sure there's other companies out there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cheapest fix to try is to pay attention to your riding posture, do not slouch cuz your body will let you know real quick when its had enough. If a kidney belt will help your posture by all means try it. Keep your back fairly straight perhaps lean a little forward to take the full pressure off your tailbone and put it more on your buns where the pressure belongs. Yes parental voices from the past will echo in your head "sit up straight young man!" LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought my bike this weekend and i drove it for like 20 minutes since the weather was getting bad.

Now i have a severe back pain and muscle spasm and i am on sick leave.

I do have a posture problem with this bike. I am leaning forward as i am not too tall. Had no issues with my vn750 which i traded in.

Getting some risers to see if that will fix the issue, else have to replace the handle bar like a mini ape or something...

·
Registered
108 Posts
20 minutes, wow its too bad you couldn't test ride the bike before you final decision. if the bike does not fit you then you either find one that does or end up making it fit meaning extra cost in the end.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah, i love the bike and am going to try everything there is to make it fit. Else i will have to buy something else....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mustang seat, the best $362.00 I ever spent!

I bought a Mustang wide touring seat for my 2008 900 classic this winter and rode my bike for the first time this year this last weekend and all I can say is it was the best $362.00 I have ever spent! It is great! I rode for 7 hours stopping only 3 times, once for about a half hour toeat and twice for about 10-15 minutes and I had no pain or numb butt which I would have had in about 30 - 40 miles on the stock seat. In my opinion a Mustang seat is the way to go!:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I bought a Mustang wide touring seat for my 2008 900 classic this winter and rode my bike for the first time this year this last weekend and all I can say is it was the best $362.00 I have ever spent! It is great! I rode for 7 hours stopping only 3 times, once for about a half hour toeat and twice for about 10-15 minutes and I had no pain or numb butt which I would have had in about 30 - 40 miles on the stock seat. In my opinion a Mustang seat is the way to go!:)
I agree, its a great investment, lots of back support, comfort and my other half loves the passanger portion. While i hav'nt put a lot of miles on this seat yet, the ultimate test will be in June when i cover 11000+ kms in 13 days.

·
Registered
376 Posts
On my 900 custom I had the stock seat reworked with new foam and gel, twice. That did not relieve the tailbone pain.

I switched to the Kawi comfort gel seat which was better, but not great. I added an Airhawk cushion and topped it off with an Alaska leather sheepskin pad. The sheepskin keeps the gel seat from overheating and also helps hide the Airhawk.

With the money I spent I could have probably bought the Mustang seat but this setup now works for me and I suffer from a broken tailbone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
question to mustang seat owners, does it change your seating position in any way ie. sit higher or more forward?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Where did you find it for 362?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts