Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2010 flat black Vulcan 900 Custom about 3 weeks ago. I noticed everytime I rode the bike for more than 30 minutes, my tailbone would really hurt. Yeah, I know, buy an aftermarket seat, right? Well, I figured I'm going to try to alter the padding in my stock seat. So, I pulled the staples out from under the seat, pulled off the seat cover and began removing some foam. I marked the foam cushion with a green highlighter right in the area where my tailbone would hit the cushion, about 2.5" wide by 6" long going up the hump about half way. I then removed about 1/2" of foam within that marked area by merely pinching small amounts with my fingers. Like I said, only about 1/2" deep. I put the clear plastic back on the foam and then the seat cover, and using a staple gun had re-stapled the liner onto the seat pan. I took the bike for a ride, and WOW, what a major improvement!
I figured, if I screwed up the seat, I would just have to order one of those nice "Mustang" brand seats. But, if I altered the stock cushion into something that was comfortable, I would be saving almost $300.
I don't know if any of you folks suffer from the same anguish of a hurting tailbone from a short ride, but my suffering is over!:knife:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sweet do-it-yerself mod. I love to see people use a little ingenuity to make things work. I know there are a couple places out there that do this same sort of thing. Although they also usually install gel or honeycomb foam to make the rest of the seat a little more comfortable too. If anyone is interested, I will list 2 of them that I know of below.
Spencers
Mean City Cycles

By the way, did you use just a regular staple gun or does it have to be a special upholstery version? Is the seat pan thick enough at the edges to accept a regular staple?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a standard staple gun for the re-installment of the seat cover, but sometimes the staples would not go completely in. So, I used a small "drift" to tap them in the remainder of the way with a hammer. The plastic seat pan is quite thick. If the staples did not work, I was going to use pop-rivets with small washers,...just another option.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bloody brilliant. I had an accident on my b/f's bike and hit my tailbone when we went down, so mine still hurts after all these years. Well, my bike has a Mustang seat, and it doesn't help. So tailbone pain...will never be right again, but now I might try this!

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Had my stock seat re built twice with different foam, better but not enough since I also suffer from a broken tailbone.

Switched out a Kawi comfort gel seat. Better because the seating surface is a bit flatter. Still needed more. I added an airhawk and a sheepskin pad to top it off. I can ride all day now. The sheepskin pad helps hide the airhawk plus prevents heat buildup in the gel seat.

I probably could have went with a Mustang seat for as much as I spent but my setup works for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking to replace my stock seat SOON. My Tailbone is hating me right now. I was thinking of trying the Mustang Seats. Will have to wait a bit though. They are spendy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had my stock seat re built twice with different foam, better but not enough since I also suffer from a broken tailbone.

Switched out a Kawi comfort gel seat. Better because the seating surface is a bit flatter. Still needed more. I added an airhawk and a sheepskin pad to top it off. I can ride all day now. The sheepskin pad helps hide the airhawk plus prevents heat buildup in the gel seat.

I probably could have went with a Mustang seat for as much as I spent but my setup works for me.
Interesting you mention the heat with regard to the gel seat. My wife picked up a cheap gel seat pad and has been using that, and while it improves the ride for her (we already have a Mustang touring seat) she mentioned it being hot. I found a local place I can get a sheepskin for what I think is a pretty reasonable price, so I might just try that as well. If nothing else, with all the stuff she's sitting on she'll be able to see over my head :D.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
376 Posts
Absolutely no heat buildup in a gel seat when you top it off with a sheepskin pad. Alaska leather is where I found mine but stores like Ikea have them less expensive. You just need to cut to size and sew on a strap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts