Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got back from Deal's Gap, NC were my vulcan did just fine on old highway 129. Saw a few vulcans around and had a great time. If you are not familiar with "the Dragon", just go to www.dealsgap.com and have a lookee....

100's of bikes...are making the run....318 turns in 11 miles

T

·
Registered
73 Posts
Glad you had a good, safe ride. The Dragon has been in the news a lot here in Knoxville due to recent wrecks & a death last weekend. Check out zee photo or kill boy and you'll find some pictures.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dragon

Yep, the weekend I was there 2 guys 1 on a h-d and the other a squid bike) died...

Can be a rough road, if you don't respect it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just remember to respect the road and NO looking at the scenery....stay focused on the road and you'll do fine. Remember, it ain't no race course...

Let them squidies zoom past...you just go with the flow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife is heading down that way tomorrow with 3 girls from her riding club. They are taking 2 days to get down there and 2 days to get back, with 8 days down there to ride the dragon and the other roads in the area, go whitewater rafting, and generally raise hell.

My vacation starts tomorrow too. Good beer, a menu of spicy hot food, and no one in the house but me and the dogs! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They'll have a great ime...as long as they respect the road. It isn't for beginners.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep, squids=sport bikes

They are called squids because of the way they have a habit of "squirting into traffic" like a squid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a ton of fun debbiew, just ride your ride while you're there. and I echo what toymaker said too, DON'T oogle at the scenery, focus on the road. Another great ride is the Cherohala Skyway and the "Devil's Triangle" there are links to maps on the dealsgap website. You have to really watch for gravel in the road on the triangle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Triangle is N of Knoxville. Blue Ridge Parkway is another good one, goes from just S of the Smokies all the way to Virginia.
Should find some great roads to get to Helen, GA as well. Hope you have a good time!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'll have a great time.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's a great ride. Just rmember, DON'T watch the scenery on the Dragon....!!!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There is a link on the Tailofthedragon.com web site that is a good tutorial on how to ride the Dragon that would be good for anyone new to HWY129. Also of interseted in the area is a ride called the Devil's Triangle that you can find info on the site about... and the Cherohalla Skyway has the most awesome views.!! My wife and I have been on the Dragon at least 5 times this year alone... it's really a piece of cake except for those who want to fly across it and pass folks on the wrong side of the road... many accidents are due to riders being in the wrong lane... so stay in your lane.!! Also remember... no one will have phone service once you get into the Dragon... the LEO's will be there writing tickets.... and the Store at Deal's Gap has some great shirts, stickers, and patches.!!

Pics of you riding can be bought (or stolen if you know how) from Killboy, Zee Photo, Moonshine Photo, and a couple of others... I personally think Killboy takes th best pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did the Dragon and the Skyway last week with a group of riders from Maine. It was a very enjoyable ride. I will be doing that ride again, but earlier in the day when there aren't so many riders on that road. A great chance to work on proper riding mechanics by looking through the turns.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Rode the dragon about three weeks ago and there was a trooper sitting on both ends and at least four scattered out in the middle. I didn't see anyone ridding too fast or being unsafe in any way. First time I went thru a couple of years ago it was a different story, people going nuts. But now with all the troopers and a 30 MPH limit I cant see how people are still getting hurt. Personally I loved the Cherohala, awesome road. Does pay to be careful, no cell service and they say help is at least 45 min away.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Rode the dragon about three weeks ago and there was a trooper sitting on both ends and at least four scattered out in the middle. I didn't see anyone ridding too fast or being unsafe in any way. First time I went thru a couple of years ago it was a different story, people going nuts. But now with all the troopers and a 30 MPH limit I cant see how people are still getting hurt. Personally I loved the Cherohala, awesome road. Does pay to be careful, no cell service and they say help is at least 45 min away.

3 big reasons folks get hurt are (1) those that wanna fly across the Dragon and will pass slower traffic even in the tight turns (2) semi-trucks take up both lanes and if one is not watching and gets off the road you be run off (3) those that try to straighten the turns out and end up in the opposing lane... (and there are many head ons on the Dragon due to this and alot of times it is cars over the line).... then add in those that will try to ride beyond there skills that run off the hill sides (have helped several thru the years that have done this) and the Dragon can be the slayer. Several years back the speed limit was 45mph in even the tightest of turn areas... to me it seemed safer then cause most were closer to the same speed. Next time ya come to ride east Tennessee roads look up the Devil's Triangle just north of Oak Ridge... it's a very nice challenge too :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts