Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tail Light Shorting- fuse pops

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Wild_Bill 
#1 ·
Have a 07 Vulcan 2000. Keeps popping fuses for taillight/ brake light. Problem is inconsistent for when blows. I could ride 5 min or sometimes 30 without it blowing. That is stop and go traffic using both brakes and going over speed bumps.
Have replaced bulb and still pops fuses. Have banged on switches for handlebar and foot brake while applying and unable to pop fuse. Pulled apart headlight and beat on wires-nothing. Also checked wire harness and ok. Banged on harness, tail light assbly, and entire damn bike with power on found nothing. But if ride for 5 min will pop.
Take on the trouble shooting challenge and please help?!!!

#2 ·
chasing a rabbit

Have banged on switches for handlebar and foot brake while applying and unable to pop fuse. Pulled apart headlight and beat on wires-nothing. Also checked wire harness and ok. Banged on harness, tail light assbly, and entire damn bike with power on found nothing. But if ride for 5 min will pop. Take on the trouble shooting challenge and please help?!!!
lt1, am not sure about the beating and banging methodology of tracing down a circuit failure. first is appropriate fuse amp size. check and be sure. just cause that is the size that was in there, doesn't make it right. even factory can make mistakes. then of course the fuse (batch) or holder/connector may be the culprit. Over draw on amps/volts is the occurance. You can't seem to pin down when or how this happens so the where is elusive. Dang, I thought I had a wiring diagram for this skoot. it might be in that 633page manual. If you dont have a copy, I can send a pdf.
Obviously you are experiencing a short to ground somewhere, sometime that is taking out the fuse. The (batch) of tail light bulbs are good? They appear to function..temporarily. Is the bulb holder suspect of floating a ground? Check the wiring harness for a nick in the wire(s) usually at one of the fender or frame keepers. Have you done any component removal or reassembly recently? Is it possible a wire is pinched or nicked in that work?

ok, so 5 minute ride time is the constant in this failure equation(?). can you park the bike and let it run for 5 min and duplicate the failure? No, didnt think so. Its not a time function. Its a vibration function. What is vibrating and shorting out that circuit? Seeing that it is the rear end of the fender way out there at the end away from the source of vibration (motor), I would look for anything that is loose, like fender mounting bolts and supports as well as a pinched wiring harness. When you find the lil bugger, it will be just that... a lil bugger. eating your lunch. good luck, keep us posted on findings. out, ponch

#3 ·
Preciate the heads up. Yeah it's really the most pain in the ass deal. Pulled out the tail light and inspected connectors, checked continuity ok. I rode yesterday for almost 20 min before fuse popped. It's rated for a 10 but the previous owner inserted a 15. Noe that u mention it, the tail light is rated at 10 but there is a 20A inserted. Haven't tried to put a 10 in there to see if pops, but doesn't pop now. I'm a little skeptical of putting a 20 in the tail light assembly though.
My buddies suggest i ride with candles. Lol

#4 · (Edited)
got some good buddies there, eh?

My buddies suggest i ride with candles. Lol
if she's cute, I'd ride with candles too!;)

#6 ·
Lay down on the garage floor and look up under the rear fender on the right hand side. there should be a wire bundle there that comes from under your seat all the way back to your tail/brake light and the turn signals. You might have a scuffed wire in the bundle or broken insulation where the bundle goes through the hanger on the inside of the fender.

Also, remove your seat(s) and check the bundle where it goes under the seat.

#7 ·
Yep. Had verified that no wire was chafing under rear fender and behind light assembly. Traced bundle to right side frame under seat and inspected quick disconnect wiring. Checks ok......
also jiggled and beat the connectors to see if wires were loose. It made me feel better at the time.
My buddy suggested a ballast maybe? Need to do more research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.