Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to install Bikers Choice mini tach I recently purchased. It looked like a no brainer, but it didn't work. I did modify the wiring to make the install easier, based on what others have done.

Four wires, a black to ground, a green to the coil negative, a red to some hot to power the tach, and a blue to power the dial light.

Ok, so I put them all on the tach. The black/grd to the coil mounting bolt. The green to the coil negative. And both hots to the coil positive.

I did install them on the left side coil, since it was easily accessible as opposed to the other under the radiator reservoir.

Also, when I started the bike, it did nothing, like it wasn't getting any power at all, like an open circuit. The bike ran/idled just fine. No misses.

I'll attach a pic of the wiring diagram.

Here's a few thoughts:

Does it make a difference which coil I use?

Is the coil mounting bolt an actual grounding point?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Welcome Steve.

The mounting bolts for the coil are not grounded so you’ll need to relocate that wire to a proper ground.

Next, I’m not sure that the red wire to the coil is a proper power wire. You will need to locate one, preferably one that is switched on/off with the key.

The rest of your wiring sounds okay.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
1. Twist red and blue together and attach to coil positive. It is switched power.
2. Black wire to black/yellow accessory ground inside headlight bucket.
3. Green wire to coil negative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I tried to post yesterday, but I couldn't get on.

Had I been patient, I would have found out your advice is correct.

Yes, the coil bolt is not grounded. It's isolated against ground and/or against vibration.

I scraped a spot under the horn mounting bolt and she worked out just fine.

The rest was correct. I appreciate all the help/confirmation. Next is to change the plastic headlight connector to ceramic to upgrade the bulb. No wonder I'm getting divorced.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
175 Posts
Btw, here are the piggyback connectors I used on the coil. Helped save some steps and offered me some options. Only two bucks. Just a thought, when wire diameter is too small, I strip back an extra length and fold it over before inserting/crimping it to a connector.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/dorman-conduct-tite-3354/lighting---electrical-16777/connectors-sockets-16631/wire-connectors---piggyback-style-18117/piggyback-slide-terminals/85412/4176614?q=piggyback

Those are pretty slick! Never seen them before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been exactly two years and it works fine. The needle is a bit hard to read at night since the dial is lit and the needle gets lost like a shadow in front of a light, but it was more getting familiar with the gears and rpm at the start so it was a nice accessory in that respect. I hardly look at it any more, riding by feel. If the needle was lit, it would be the bomb. Otherwise I recall it was fairly priced and install was easy except me botching up the ground. Otherwise, I think it was a decent choice as tachs go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just installed tach. I did different wiring, wanted backlight to work along with speedometer backlight. Green and red connected to coil, black to thermostat housing bolt and blue is connected to speedometer backlight wire (red-blue wire)
Works great, needle is smooth, I'm pretty satisfied with the tach.
I agree about needle, would be awesome if it was lit, or if they put light in-between tach face and glass, needle would be visible in both ways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts