Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have been attempting to install a working tachometer on my 09 V2K classic lt.
First one I used was a bikers choice? i think New Chrome Mini Tach Tachometer for Harley with Clamp | eBay

Installed it with it working ok. Tachometer power and light power connected together, used a t tap or scotch lock to connect to parking light power (keyed power) in the headlight bucket. Ground wire on a bolt inside the headlight bucket and tach signal to the negative front coil. Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition.

Purchased a baron tach adapter to solve the problem. Once again using scotch lock connectors, wired the adapter to the negative of the front and rear coil (per the instructions) and tach wouldn't move. Stayed at zero. Attach tach signal without adapter to front or rear coil, half rpm's. Maybe a defective adapter...oh well.

Purchased a dynatec t-101 adapter. same story as the baron adapter. Maybe the tach will only work on dual fire ignitions properly. Tach was smooth and stable just reading half.

Found this deal on ebay 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 En 500 Baron Tachometer | eBay
Hell yea! awesome deal. Should fix everything. Wired the same way. Turned on the ignition and tach did not sweep. Interesting. Fired up and the needle was bouncing drastically between 0 and 2000 rpm at idle. Little throttle and smoothed out at higher rpm, still not stable. I'm using the baron adapter.

Now i get it was a used tach and it may have been malfunctioning before. So the question is has anyone found a fix for the bouncy needle? They sell a baron internal replacement should i throw some more money at that? see if that works? or scrap this tach project and move on. Ideas comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you all

·
Registered
724 Posts
The first tach you posted is for a dual fire ignition only.

You posted -
"Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition. "

Does this mean you have a single fire igntion??
If so you need a tach that can handle that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first tach you posted is for a dual fire ignition only.

You posted -
"Reading half rpm's as expected with a single fire ignition. "

Does this mean you have a single fire igntion??
If so you need a tach that can handle that.
Yes i have a single fire ignition. Which is why i got the tach adapter's which in theory, are supposed to combine the signals from both coils and turn them into a readable signal for the tachometer. I get the first tach i purchased was dual fire only and was hoping an adapter would make it work. I was wrong. Hence the second tach and the second set of issues. Thanks for your reply

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
For awhile I ran with one of the Barons Tach's. I had it mounted on the Master Cylinder. You can see it in the picture below..

And yes, to get it to work, I had to use the Barons Adapter thingy. Worked fine.. but.. it was Barons Tach and Baron Adapter. Maybe they work together but not with a different Tach? Don't know.

Eventually I removed that Tach and went Power Commander LCD unit. It works in conjunction with the PC (can store/change/load multiple maps) and also shows the RPM.

You can see the unit in the below picture...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smedlin that is a gorgeous color on your bike! Thanks for the reply. I think I'll buy another Baron internal tach and try it with the baron adapter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am new to the bike, just got it earlier in the month and really dislike the fact that I do not have a tach. Speedo is great, but... ya know...

Anyway, I have a Drag Specialties Mini tach that has been sitting on my shelf for about 6 months that I planned on using on a different project but decided against it. I was going to see about installing it on my 2000. Thoughts? Will it work?

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is from an earlier post about installing a tach on a 2000. They all agree that an adapter has be used. This one post may be of some help. About the direction the wires need to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is from an earlier post about installing a tach on a 2000. They all agree that an adapter has be used. This one post may be of some help. About the direction the wires need to go.
Thanks for the input... I believe those adapters are just sections of wire that branch to each coil with a few diodes... anyone have a schematic of the inner-workings? I'd be willing to build a few and give them out for a lot cheaper than anything online (they're only $20... but I would think it would be less than $5 in parts and 10 min of labor to make.)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for the input... I believe those adapters are just sections of wire that branch to each coil with a few diodes... anyone have a schematic of the inner-workings? I'd be willing to build a few and give them out for a lot cheaper than anything online (they're only $20... but I would think it would be less than $5 in parts and 10 min of labor to make.)
Maybe this will help. Look at Post #30: http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/150546-help-koso-tach-wiring-3.html

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
the reason adapters are needed is because most Tac's are made for Harley's, which are "single firing"

Metrics are "duel firing". Soo.. if you use a normal Harley Tac on a metric, your reading will be twice what it should be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the reason adapters are needed is because most Tac's are made for Harley's, which are "single firing"

Metrics are "duel firing". Soo.. if you use a normal Harley Tac on a metric, your reading will be twice what it should be.

Right... BUT, in this case it's not a Harley Tach. The single lead wire coming from this particular tach from Drag Specialties that goes to the coils suggests it's intended to read on a wasted spark system (I.e. Dual Fire).

MOST Metrics do have Dual Fire ignitions... But based on the wiring diagram in the Service Manual, it sure looks like the VN2000 is a Single Fire system. Which requires there to be a lead wire going to BOTH coils in order to accurately read the firing frequency of the ignition system and correctly display the RPM output.

In that case, without the adapter, my tach will likely only read half of what the true RPM's are.

I am happy to be wrong if someone disagrees or has more knowledge about the system than I do. I am brand new to this bike so I am going off of what I see.

·
Registered
457 Posts

You may want to read a bit more on the subject. You own a single firing metric bike , and Harley has both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts