Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to fit a tacho but want one in black that wont break the bank and is easy to fit any suggestions

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
A word of caution - I could not get any (I tried and returned 3 different brands) of the generic "dual-fire" tachs to work on my 900. I tried a Baron's adapter, and I tried a homemade adapter. Any configuration I tried resulted in needle bounce which made the device unusable. Reading various posts on this forum seemed to turn up the face that some people could get them to work without any issue, and others couldn't get any dual-fire tach to work.

The only solution that ended up working for me was the model-specific Cobra tach for the VN900. Spent $200 but since it looks factory I ultimately ended up being ok with that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A word of caution - I could not get any (I tried and returned 3 different brands) of the generic "dual-fire" tachs to work on my 900. I tried a Baron's adapter, and I tried a homemade adapter. Any configuration I tried resulted in needle bounce which made the device unusable. Reading various posts on this forum seemed to turn up the face that some people could get them to work without any issue, and others couldn't get any dual-fire tach to work.

The only solution that ended up working for me was the model-specific Cobra tach for the VN900. Spent $200 but since it looks factory I ultimately ended up being ok with that.
I ordered the 3" Baron tach with the black dial face. In installed easily, yes, it was showing hokey values before I installed the single/dual fire adapter, but since then it has worked perfectly. It is awesome, I ride by it, I rarely look at the speedo anymore.

The only gripe I have is that the light is weak at night and although it lights up the dial OK, I can't see the needle very well, well, almost at all. Maybe it would have worked better wiht the while dial, as someone suggested.

Other than that, the Baron tach works perfectly.

Go for it, you will not regret it. One of the best upgrades I have on the bike.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is it possible to have pics of you tach installed?
thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is it possible to have pics of you tach installed?
thanks
Indeed. This is a close-up that I took quickly with my phone in the garage tonight. Sorry for the bad quality but it gives you a rough picture, I hope. I can take nicer pictures once I take the bike outside during the daylight.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is my Cobra tach attached to the handlebar mount:

Sorry but I guess my finger was covering up part of the camera opening and it's too dark now to re-take the picture

·
Registered
698 Posts
I ordered the 3" Baron tach with the black dial face. In installed easily, yes, it was showing hokey values before I installed the single/dual fire adapter, but since then it has worked perfectly. It is awesome, I ride by it, I rarely look at the speedo anymore.

Other than that, the Baron tach works perfectly.

Go for it, you will not regret it. One of the best upgrades I have on the bike.
So you're using the single fire adaptor & no needle bounce? Mine bounces most of the time & occasionally is steady. It's far from unusable - just annoying. I had the adaptor behind the coil cover & then moved it away from the coil to see if that made any difference but it didn't. Could they have recently developed an adaptor that works properly?

Mine is a 2" tacho mounted between the bars and the instrument cowl. I'd have thought the 3" & 2" electronics would be identical.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So you're using the single fire adaptor & no needle bounce? Mine bounces most of the time & occasionally is steady. It's far from unusable - just annoying. I had the adaptor behind the coil cover & then moved it away from the coil to see if that made any difference but it didn't. Could they have recently developed an adaptor that works properly?

Mine is a 2" tacho mounted between the bars and the instrument cowl. I'd have thought the 3" & 2" electronics would be identical.
If it bounces only occasionally, I'd check the electrical connections. It sounds like something intermittent.

Initially, I installed it without the adapter. The needle bounced here and there and when it was more or less steady it was showing double the RPMs (or was it half? I can't remember, this was like 3 years ago.. but it was either a half or twice the real RMPs).

Once I plugged in the adapter, it became rock steady and it works exactly as a good tacho should. I also have everything crammed under the ignition cover. I do not believe the location matters -- there should be no interference. If anything is sensitive, it should be (and is) shielded.

My electrical skills are likely below-average, but this was a 30 min installation for me...

If I were you, I'd try to double-check the connections in your installation. If nothing helps, call the Baron guys, I'm sure they will help you diagnose it (possibly a faulty adapter?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the chrome version of this one that I've been perfectly happy with - has a backlight, too. There are some other ones on ebay as well, some look to be smaller, but this one is a nice size, mounts right in the center of the handlebar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-TACHOMETER-FOR-ALL-DUAL-FIRE-IGNITIONS-MINI-MOTORCYCLE-TACH-UNIVERSAL-FIT-/150995088558?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23280234ae&vxp=mtr
thanks gary w
this looks good to me did you wire straight into the headlight wires with the blue wire and which out of the the 2 negative wires of the coil did you connect to the black or the black and green sorry for the questions but this will be the first one i have fitted

·
Registered
607 Posts
thanks gary w
this looks good to me did you wire straight into the headlight wires with the blue wire and which out of the the 2 negative wires of the coil did you connect to the black or the black and green sorry for the questions but this will be the first one i have fitted
I should have pointed out that I have a 500, not a 900 (didn't realize I was in the 900 forum when I first posted). I'm not sure how different the 900 is from the 500 - I didn't have any issues with the rpm indication (double-fire, single-fire, etc.). The 500 has two coils and I just hooked up to one of them, I think the black wire. I will have to check this when I get home.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
How did you make the connections? You might need to properly solder and heat-shrink the connections in order to get something reliable. A number of things could interfere causing the tach to give erroneous readings if it's just spliced together by twisting or using a butt connector or something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
How did you make the connections? You might need to properly solder and heat-shrink the connections in order to get something reliable. A number of things could interfere causing the tach to give erroneous readings if it's just spliced together by twisting or using a butt connector or something.
Spliced and twisted wires wrapped in a tape (or a screw-on connector) should be more than plenty.

Or use crimp connectors.

I would not solder it before you get it working 100%.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have been looking at all sorts of tachometers and am now even more confused are our 9s single fire or duel fire ignitions?

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
If it bounces only occasionally, I'd check the electrical connections. It sounds like something intermittent.

Initially, I installed it without the adapter. The needle bounced here and there and when it was more or less steady it was showing double the RPMs (or was it half? I can't remember, this was like 3 years ago.. but it was either a half or twice the real RMPs).

Once I plugged in the adapter, it became rock steady and it works exactly as a good tacho should. I also have everything crammed under the ignition cover. I do not believe the location matters -- there should be no interference. If anything is sensitive, it should be (and is) shielded.

My electrical skills are likely below-average, but this was a 30 min installation for me...

If I were you, I'd try to double-check the connections in your installation. If nothing helps, call the Baron guys, I'm sure they will help you diagnose it (possibly a faulty adapter?)
I tried another brand new Baron adaptor from a friends bike who didn't need it (he has dual fire) & the bounce was identical. Pretty sure my wiring is fine although used mostly crimp instead of solder to make it easier to disassemble. There are too many posts of people with the same problem as me for it to be a coincidence. I tried Baron warranty but they just pointed me at another adaptor which was identical to what I was already using. I could post it back for refund but postage cost is prohibitive. Plus the 2" Baron fits perfectly just above the speedo cowl and I don't think any other brand will do the same. Will just put up with it I think.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I tried another brand new Baron adaptor from a friends bike who didn't need it (he has dual fire) & the bounce was identical. Pretty sure my wiring is fine although used mostly crimp instead of solder to make it easier to disassemble. There are too many posts of people with the same problem as me for it to be a coincidence. I tried Baron warranty but they just pointed me at another adaptor which was identical to what I was already using. I could post it back for refund but postage cost is prohibitive. Plus the 2" Baron fits perfectly just above the speedo cowl and I don't think any other brand will do the same. Will just put up with it I think.
Having a bouncy needle in the tach makes it probably worse than having none. There is no reason to have to put up with it.

Can the tach itself be somehow faulty? Can you try it on another bike? Just do a very simple check - do not even mount it, just hold it in your hands while you make quick connections to see how it behaves...

If you have access to a decent bike shop, an experienced technician will probbaly tell you in 5 minutes what's wrong. It will be definitely cheaper than a new tach.

My guess is that it is somewhere in the connections. Do people really have this kind of problems more broadly? I have not seen the posts I guess...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the inexpensive tach and made my own single fire adaptor. No needle bounce if all connections are tight.
The baron doesn't flutter when on idle so I don't think it's the connections. I suspect it just can't cope with the rpm calcs when the rpms are constantly changing & single fire (just a theory).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts