Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my vulcanian brothers? I’m adding a tach to my 900 and was wondering if anyone knows what rpm these motors redline at. I roll slow and low so I don’t plan on hitting it mostly curious because I’m also adding a 34 tooth baron front pulley soon and I want to see the rpm difference.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Get the cobra one. Barons might be bigger, but its a piece of crap.Cobra one, from the guys here, is steady and perfect. It seems to be cheaper now too Worth the extra money anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the Bikers Choice mini tach off Amazon. Looks good. Super bright blue backlight which works cuz my bike is blue but im wondering if i hooked it up wrong or got wrong info. I was told rev limiter at 7100 Seems ready explode at 3500! I havnt hit the rev limiter since install but i will tonight. Almost like its cut in half.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is it set up correctly? Sounds like it's reading about half what it should. I have the Kawasaki tach for a 900 LT (tach is no longer made) and it seems to work great. Is your tach designed for a 2 cylinder 4 stroke engine? Does it show about 1000 rpm at warm idle? The calibration is different for each engine type (number of cylinders), as it counts pulses from the coil wire.

Ok, I'm going to reach way out there and hazard a guess, that the tach you bought is for a dual spark plug Harley, not a single spark like the Vulcan 900. But this is reaching way out there with a guess, and I could really be wrong here, so I apologize if I am wrong.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know the older 900's were single fire

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The new ones are single fire as well. Did it come with a tach adapter for single fire? If it didn't that would explain only half the readings you should have,

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Actually just looked up your tach on Amazon, and it's not for single fire ignitions.
At least you got it at amazon. They take it back no questions asked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i think its reading half. My warmed up idle with adjustment almost all the way down cuz it sounds bitchen with the cobra speedster slashbacks is 500-550 Dogonit. I threw out the box n stuff. Amazon said “This fits your 2006 kawasaki vulcan”. Even though it doesn't work i guess it fits!! Well its a reference anyway. I really just wanted to see the rpm difference when i change the front pulley. I think this tach was supposed to come with another part. The adapter that denali1234 talked about earlier. I saw a video on it and they talked about this, ill have to find it. Thank you all for your input. I would be completely lost without this forum!! I will report my findings, even if i scrap it?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know you like the low 500 rpm idle but it not a low tech Harley!!!

Need higher idle to keep oil pressure up to keep valve train lubricated.

Or you will be doing a top end rebuild

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks biebs. Im somewhere around 1100. I have inadvertently installed a double fire tach on a single fire bike so it is reading half!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts