Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really would like to add a tach. It's a custom so I would like something in keeping with it's styling. I also would not to have to spend a gob of money.
I'm sure you've all been there and I'm sure you've got a lot of great suggestions. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Baron tach on my custom 900 and I think it looks great. It has that clean but high performance look to it that fits well on the custom.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just bought a small tach from Powersports Outlet Store <powersportsoutletstore.com>. It is part number 33-3910. Black face and 2.5 inches in diameter. The white face version lights up in seven colors. I'll have mine installed next week. Another guy on a forum put one on his Vulcan 500 and it has worked well. You can check out a pic of it at www.Vulcan500.com and search under the posts by Burkbuilds. It is under the "2009 Vulcan with Mods post". The image was too large of a file for me to upload.

·
Registered
147 Posts
GeorgiaRider,

Did you get it mounted? Can you please post a pic of it?

The price is hard to beat. $50 for a tach is very nice... The question remains how to attach it - it seems it comes with no clamp or anything, right?

·
Registered
641 Posts
GeorgiaRider,

Did you get it mounted? Can you please post a pic of it?

The price is hard to beat. $50 for a tach is very nice... The question remains how to attach it - it seems it comes with no clamp or anything, right?
I will have it installed at the end of this month. Too much traveling right now. You are correct, you will need an adaptor to fit it to the handlebar, which I overlooked when I bought mine. I think it was $6 or $9. Something I missed. There is a pic of this one on the forum I mention above. I will post a pic of mine soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have this one mounted on my 2006 Vulcan Classic LT. It's now 73.00 including a bracket and shipping. I had to make a single fire adapter for it with about 10.00 worth of Radio Shack parts. It comes in either black or white face at www.demonscycle.com. Don't have a pic of it on the bike, but it does work good. The back light on the white dial is neon blue. Don't know what the black looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have this one mounted on my 2006 Vulcan Classic LT. It's now 73.00 including a bracket and shipping. I had to make a single fire adapter for it with about 10.00 worth of Radio Shack parts. It comes in either black or white face at www.demonscycle.com. Don't have a pic of it on the bike, but it does work good. The back light on the white dial is neon blue. Don't know what the black looks like.
What is this "single-fire" thing? I saw it referred to a few times with some tachs, but not sure what it means...

Or better yet, what is it that we need? Do the 900s use a single-fire ignition? How difficult is to adjust the other type to work on the Vulcans?

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the info for the adapter from Gadget's Vulcan page. There are several other threads about it on this board. The Gadgets page has a good how to article with a schematic and parts list. In my case which I am not sure is true for every tach, I had to reverse the direction of flow for the diodes from what is shown on the diagram, to make them work. Yes the Vulcan 900 is a "single fire" engine. That means there is just one ignition spark for each cylinder, during each 4 stroke cycle. Some of the Harleys in paticular use a "dual fire" or "wasted spark" ignition system, where there are 2 ignition sparks during each 4 stroke cycle. (If you don't use the adapter with a Harley tach on a Vulcan 900 the tach will read half the RPM's the engine is actually turning.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts