Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im installing a Tach on my VN900. I connected to the Ground wire in the healight assembly. I also Connected the Blue Wire to a blue wire that runs to the side marker running lights to provide power for the light in the Tach. The tach light comes on. There is a red wire for a power source. If i already have power through the marker light, do i need to connect the red wire as well? Where do I connect it? To the other Blue marker wire? I have the single stage connector and all that. Just unsure about the red wire. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Ok so im installing a Tach on my VN900. I connected to the Ground wire in the healight assembly. I also Connected the Blue Wire to a blue wire that runs to the side marker running lights to provide power for the light in the Tach. The tach light comes on. There is a red wire for a power source. If i already have power through the marker light, do i need to connect the red wire as well? Where do I connect it? To the other Blue marker wire? I have the single stage connector and all that. Just unsure about the red wire. Thanks
Don't use the headlight assembly for your ground. The current for your tach is forced to travel through the steering head bearings. There should be a plug-end for accessories in your headlight bucket. Use that for your red wire and relocate the ground wire there as well.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Connect your ground to the black/yellow at your running light. Connect your red to the red at your coils. The blue that you connected only provides power to the light, not the tach itself.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Connect your ground to the black/yellow at your running light. Connect your red to the red at your coils. The blue that you connected only provides power to the light, not the tach itself.
The OP claims the red wire is labeled power source. I think we need more info from him.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
99.9% of tachs have 4 wires:

1. Tach power, needs to be switched. Red on one of the coils is convenient as you have to connect single fire adapter other coil connection, anyways.
2. Light power, comes on when running lights on. Blue is OK.
3. Signal, goes to negative end of coil, or single fire adapter.
4. Ground. Black/yellow is OK.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The instructions are available from Kawasaki, when you look up your bike find the tach. You can print them or I have one and here it goes. Tach red wire to the red/blue stripe (turn signal side) tach black wire goes to black/yellow stripe (accessory ground) in the headlight and the tach green goes to the black coil wire (should have a piggy back connector with your tach to use). Look at the diagragm in the kawasaki accesories tach download if you need more help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts