Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the question a few months ago, but got no response.
Has anyone added a tach to their 1500 Classic FI?
Any tips?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I added a Cobra tach to my '01. Simple to wire up. I clamped to to the bar between the risers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have one on my 1500. I don't really recall what I did but I think the installation was pretty simple. I can't remember which one I have but I think it's probably a cobra.

I like how it looks but because the 'red-line' on these bikes is so low and the 'tach sweep' so large, most of the sweep isn't used. I've thought about building a pulse 'doubler' to increase the sweep but that's a project that will probably never happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Boys... from the replies, you can see why I asked.
The Tach maker (I bought "Biker's Choice") says to wire it to the Coil, while wfburton159 says that it goes to the ECU.
In any case, I got one made for dual fire big twins, and will probably follow the mfr instructions, unless someone here gives me something specific (I'll check the ECU black wire, of course).
Unlike most out there, the Biker's Choice tach maxes out at 8 grand, so the resolution will be better than most which max out a 14 or so.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks sfair. Tach mfr says to go to coil. I'll follow their recommendations.
I have no desire to mess with my ECU... it's working... it's not to be touched! ;o)
As they say, "Old plumbing demands respect".
best... pjh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like we used to say when wiring a machine from scratch... just take the big, red wire, and go direct!!! ;o)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clackety top end

Question... is your top end "clackety"?
Is all that noise the KACR's rattling around?
I heard one other 1500 Classic guy on here ask about his top end's noise, but never saw any replies.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Question... is your top end "clackety"?
Is all that noise the KACR's rattling around?
I heard one other 1500 Classic guy on here ask about his top end's noise, but never saw any replies.
Mine is currently rattling like crazy and I assume one (or more) of the KACKR's is about to go AWOL. I haven't been driving it - need some time (and space) to pull the motor to take a look.

My motor has always been a rattler thought - even when new. Took it back to the dealer several times while under warranty to complain but was told it was 'normal'. If all that noise is 'normal' there's something really shitty about the design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
clackety

Well I guess that's the good news and the bad news...
The good news is that the dealer, when under warranty, said it was normal.
The bad news is that it is normal.
When I did the top end in winter 2017, I put new springs on the KACR's, one of which had been changed, perhaps the culprit in the 1997 KACR recall.
Keeping it full of oil helps.
I should have ringed it, but since the cylinder walls had no scores or marks, didn't (I know, shoulda mic'd it)... so when I get tired of hearing the noise and adding oil, I'll do it again, perhaps one size over, and with careful attention to any noise makers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tachometer help

Hey guys I’m new here I am I got a question I have a classic 1500 2005 and I was wondering if anybody has any installation videos or anything to show me how to put it on thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't put mine on yet, but I saw a tutorial instructing that someone hold up the tank (you can remove it if you like, but I hate doing that!), while you connect to a coil wire.
One hot that powers with the key, one ground, and one signal from the coil. Not much to it, I think...
I haven't looked to see if there's a constant power lead, but if so, then there'll be two "powers", one constant and one switched with the key.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Hey guys I’m new here I am I got a question I have a classic 1500 2005 and I was wondering if anybody has any installation videos or anything to show me how to put it on thanks in advance
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts