Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m using Mobile 1synthetic and everyone tells me I don’t have to change the oil at the recommended oil change cycle specified in the manual. What say ye old Scooter riders and mechanics? Stick to the manual or do I get a hall pass for another thousand miles or so?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I use Royal Purple Max Cycle. With full synthetic oils, the molecules don't break down as fast, so you can go longer, but with the heat that these bikes produce, you don't want to push it too far. I change mine at 4k miles, sometimes a little sooner, if necessary, as I use 20W-50 for the hot half of the year and 10W-40 for the other half.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I’m using Mobile 1synthetic and everyone tells me I don’t have to change the oil at the recommended oil change cycle specified in the manual. What say ye old Scooter riders and mechanics? Stick to the manual or do I get a hall pass for another thousand miles or so?
Hell you say!!! "AND EVERYONE TELLS YOU" The Hell you say again!! With Mobil1 that there is LIFETIME oil. I would never change it. Just keep adding to it if the bike uses any oil. It runs so good and clean with that oil that you NEVER have to change the filter either.

Now listen to me son... I know what I am talking about cause I been ridin' for better n er fifty years now and I know a lot more than some company that built a foundry to smelt metal, then hire on a buncha engineers, and then BUILD motorcycles for a livin. That there owners manual is only for sissys that use cheap dime store oil, not MOBIL1, and not for us folks that KNOW better than the folks that made the machine and wrote the book about it.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Ive used synthetic oil for 15 years and had no issues. I change it once a riding season, or about 3-5k miles. I don't get to ride as much as I used to, when I was putting in 10k a year.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
The Voyager manual maintenance table shows once per year or every 7500 miles!!! after the initial 600 mile change. I guess I never noticed that and assumed it was every 3K miles.

I'll still change mine every 4K to 4500 miles. Some people may think that's a waste of money, but it gives me peace of mind. 7500 miles in engines that run this hot seems extreme to me. But I have also seen posts from people saying that going more than 3K miles, even on JASO rated synthetics, will ruin your engine.

It pretty much necessary for an oil to be fully synthetic to meet JASO specs which is what the oil should meet according to the manual. I don't know what the frequency is supposed to be for the OP's 900, but it is probably the same.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
The Voyager manual maintenance table shows once per year or every 7500 miles!!! after the initial 600 mile change. I guess I never noticed that and assumed it was every 3K miles.

I'll still change mine every 4K to 4500 miles. Some people may think that's a waste of money, but it gives me peace of mind. 7500 miles in engines that run this hot seems extreme to me. But I have also seen posts from people saying that going more than 3K miles, even on JASO rated synthetics, will ruin your engine.

It pretty much necessary for an oil to be fully synthetic to meet JASO specs which is what the oil should meet according to the manual. I don't know what the frequency is supposed to be for the OP's 900, but it is probably the same.
It never ceases to amaze me the difference in manufacturer's recommendations. I had a little 1992 Toyota Hilux pickup I drove for several years and it said to change the oil every 5000 miles in normal conditions, 7500 in good conditions and 3500 in severe conditions. This was regular dino oil.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I use Mobile1 Full Synthetic (although looking to try Rotella at next oil change). Use 10W-40 in "off" season, and 20W-50 in hot season. Normally change it out between 3500 and 4000 miles. Works for me!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

Kawasaki's standard oil is fully qualified for that (first of) 7500mi or 1 year interval, and I'd expect that's not a synthetic since they do market a branded synthetic.

As well, I have remnants of Castrol and Valvoline (and I thought Yamalube too, but can't find that one) on the shelf that are JASO rated and are not branded as synthetic. Synthetic is such a buzzword in the lube business if it was synthetic, even type III base, "synthetic" would be loud and proud on the label.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Kawasaki's standard oil is fully qualified for that (first of) 7500mi or 1 year interval, and I'd expect that's not a synthetic since they do market a branded synthetic.

As well, I have remnants of Castrol and Valvoline (and I thought Yamalube too, but can't find that one) on the shelf that are JASO rated and are not branded as synthetic. Synthetic is such a buzzword in the lube business if it was synthetic, even type III base, "synthetic" would be loud and proud on the label.
You are right, I stand corrected. JASO does not have to be synthetic.

However, I still think 7500 miles between oil changes for motorcycle that run as hot as these do and have wet clutches is much too long. I'll stick to a more conservative schedule.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts

However, I still think 7500 miles between oil changes for motorcycle that run as hot as these do and have wet clutches is much too long. I'll stick to a more conservative schedule.
Me too. And why wouldn't you? My dad always said oil was the cheapest insurance you could buy for a motor, and only a fool would skip a 5 dollar oil change (back then) for a 2000 dollar engine trying to save a few dimes. He was old school and changed his oil every 2000-2500 miles. We had a ranch and a garage with a service bay and 4 cars, two trucks, a tractor and various other equipment. My dad bought oil by the case, sometimes by the barrel, and we were always changing oil in something. And the used oil made a good treatment for fence posts.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

Does your driving/mileage exceed the factory-recommended service intervals? Or are you basing on some other "common practice" interval, e.g. 3000 miles?

For my VN2K, the change interval is first of 7500 miles or 1 year. For me, that means (so far, anyway) every change is based on 1 year.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
The manual for my 500LTD recommends a 6,000 mile change interval (along with a lot of other maintenance items). I generally stick with a 5,000’ish mile change interval. I did send a sample in for analysis once at 4,500 miles and their suggestion was to go ahead with the 6,000 mile interval.

In short, the manual is closer to right than we give it credit for. :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yeah, a lot of people bash "the company" recommendations for nonsensical reasons like the company wants it to wear out prematurely so you have to buy a new one. Stop to think about that for a minute or two. Why would a customer buy another one if that were the case? Answer: they wouldn't, so that line of reasoning doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good information here guys. Thanks. I’m about 4K miles now so I’ll change it at the end of this trip. I ride her hard and that’s for sure. So now we’re so productive in this conversation, is there a difference between Amsoil, Mobile 1 or any reason to believe what I’ve heard about Amsoil? In my experience oil is oil, synthetic or otherwise; synthetic being better. But I’m thinking there’s no difference between Mobile1 or Amsoil. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DuRron! Great way to make the point!!!! Yeah. What would them thar En-g-ineers know about what you and I know?? Nothing! We’ll run that engine on baby snot until it runs no more!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Me too. And why wouldn't you? My dad always said oil was the cheapest insurance you could buy for a motor, and only a fool would skip a 5 dollar oil change (back then) for a 2000 dollar engine trying to save a few dimes. He was old school and changed his oil every 2000-2500 miles. We had a ranch and a garage with a service bay and 4 cars, two trucks, a tractor and various other equipment. My dad bought oil by the case, sometimes by the barrel, and we were always changing oil in something. And the used oil made a good treatment for fence posts.
Best advice ever.....It IS cheap insurance, so why not change it frequently? Makes sense to me!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Just curious if anyone has anything other than "peace of mind" or anecdotes to support that 2000-3000 mile change actually results in longer life of the bike than the recommended intervals?

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Just curious if anyone has anything other than "peace of mind" or anecdotes to support that 2000-3000 mile change actually results in longer life of the bike than the recommended intervals?
Unfortunately, there just aren't many studies available to the public. I found one article (https://jalopnik.com/why-expensive-oil-is-a-waste-of-money-1797241527) that talks about the conclusions Blackstone labs came to when they collated all the data they had on oil tests they had done for their customers. I found this: https://www.brianschreurs.org/neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html, pseudo study, but they never completed it.

Neither are true studies and the second one is only on 2 oils, both synthetic, and the oils were tested sequentially in the same car, and they never even completed the report on one of them.

Make your own conclusions.

I'll still stick to 4000 - 4500 miles between oil changes with my preferred synthetic.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My personal thoughts/feelings/habits are as follows:

On my 500, the interval is 6K miles as BikerBill stated above. I bought mine with about 10,500 on the odometer, and not knowing the history, immediately did an oil change, along with a lot of other work the bike needed. Changed oil again at 12K, and picking up a roughly 4K pattern after that (16K, 20K, etc). I run Valvoline 10-40 Motorcycle oil (conventional). Here in FL, the heat takes it's toll on oils, so I'd rather err on the side of caution.

On an air cooled bike, I do change the oil a bit more frequently. Interval depends on the specific bike.

For what it's worth, all the vehicles here use roughly a 4K interval for oil changes. So that's 2 trucks (one has over 730K on the odo, but that's for a different thread somewhere), a minivan, and the better half's prized Monte Carlo. I keep a couple empty 5 gallon detergent buckets from the better half's workplace to pour my used oil in. The local parts house accepts up to 5 gallons of used oil per day, so it makes it handy to just drop the bucket off.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts