Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 07 Vulcan 1500 and a Mean Streak 06'. Any thoughts on what might be the better bike?. Haven't had chance to ride either yet-have sat on them. Have a custom now so have gotten used to good handling. How do either stack up in this area? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, "better" may not have been the best choice for a word. Just looking for what would be the "best" value. Am aware that both share some similarities and have read the MS handles better, but was looking to see if this was true in "real life" experiences w/forum riders. There are a couple of each around here for sale & I will get on them once rains stop. Welcome further comments from the 1500/MS experienced crowd.

*Bikes I'm looking at are a 06 MS & a 07 1500 (has FI)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I can't speak to the handling qualities of either one, but I'd give a lot of consideration to the 1500 if it has the fuel injection.

·
Registered
742 Posts
resale may also be a consideration... depending on how long you keep the bike.

i would guess the MS will keep more of its value only because they are not as common as a regular 1500. when i was searching for another bike, i only found 2 local MS and they sold off fast... same when i was going for my 1500 Drifter, first 2 sold out from under me and i didn't hesitate on the 3rd!!!

so with all that said, resale may be a factor for "best value" ... but also consider your riding style... the meanie is a sweet looking, sleek, speed version of the 900 custom - just with shaft drive and more ooomf!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found a meanstreak at a local motorcycle shop with cobra exhaust, it was in my price range and wouldn't even have to sell my 900c to get it, well after a ride i noticed a few things about it. On the highway, it is a smoother ride, its not buzzy. It also seems to have more low end torque ( as would be expected with bigger displacement) but for flat out acceleration, i was VERY disappointed with the meanstreak, I would put money on my 900 (stock) beating that meanstreak. My 900 is alot more fun to ride over all (i even do more highway than in town riding and still like it better) so my Opinion is 900, but thats just my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a meanstreak at a local motorcycle shop with cobra exhaust, it was in my price range and wouldn't even have to sell my 900c to get it, well after a ride i noticed a few things about it. On the highway, it is a smoother ride, its not buzzy. It also seems to have more low end torque ( as would be expected with bigger displacement) but for flat out acceleration, i was VERY disappointed with the meanstreak, I would put money on my 900 (stock) beating that meanstreak. My 900 is alot more fun to ride over all (i even do more highway than in town riding and still like it better) so my Opinion is 900, but thats just my experience.

the mean streak has 74 hp and 94ft lbs of torque. it should feel quite a bit faster than the 900. are you sure you wrung it out? were you shifting too soon?

assuming equal riders and both bikes of sound mechanical condition, theres no way a stock 900 could take a meanie.

but if you weren't feeling the meanie, are you even sure you want a bigger bike? lets be honest the 900 has plenty of power for the street. unless you have the go fast bug or want a larger touring bike theres no reason to replace the 900. and as you said you seem to still really like your 900.

that being said if your still wanting to look at bigger bikes seeing as you didn't like the meanie the vulcan 1700 probably wont feel that great to you either so your best option if you want to stay with a vulcan cruiser is the 2k.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the mean streak has 74 hp and 94ft lbs of torque. it should feel quite a bit faster than the 900. are you sure you wrung it out? were you shifting too soon?

assuming equal riders and both bikes of sound mechanical condition, theres no way a stock 900 could take a meanie.

but if you weren't feeling the meanie, are you even sure you want a bigger bike? lets be honest the 900 has plenty of power for the street. unless you have the go fast bug or want a larger touring bike theres no reason to replace the 900. and as you said you seem to still really like your 900.

that being said if your still wanting to look at bigger bikes seeing as you didn't like the meanie the vulcan 1700 probably wont feel that great to you either so your best option if you want to stay with a vulcan cruiser is the 2k.
I'm not looking for another bike, the OP is. But ride the 2 back to back and tell me what you come up with. Yes i road it flat out, any bike i'm serious about buying i do (when its from the dealership anyways). My 900 doesn't have enough power, never will, but its still a good cruiser and i love the way it looks, i just want something with more power, unfortunetly when the time comes I'm either gonna have to buy a harley (dyna or softail series) or add a sport bike to my collection again (either a 650r again or the ninja 1000). I'm not denieing the possibility that there was something wrong with that meanstreak, ran good, had low end torque but had no mid-upper range power. Maybe because its shaft drive? idk, but i had the money to buy it on the spot but didnt because it was far from impressive compared to what i already have. That being said, i still love the looks of the meanie.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I say : Go the Meanie - it's an awesome looking bike and has the power !

I've got my son in laws 06 MS in my garage (while he is overseas) and ride her sometimes- (WOOAAH what a bike !!) There is NO WAY my 900 will beat the MS - NEVER EVER !!
Son it law had her at 209 km/h (130 mph) and there was still some more left - he says !!
Set up is : V&H pipes, BAK and Dobeck fuel processor

on the value side : the 06 MS (black model - not red and black) is the last one built before the b/r one came out - so the value might going up because it might become a collectors item ....

just my 0.02

·
Registered
4 Posts
see thats the thing. your just wanting to go fast, a cruiser, even the power cruisers don't even come close to the sport bikes.

400lb bikes with 180+ hp and 80+ ft lb of tq makes just about everything feel slow. theres no cruiser on the road that even comes close. most of the power cruisers put out numbers that are surpassed by common 600 cc super sports. but then you have 1000 cc super sports that trump everything short of the hayabusa and zx-14r in terms of power to weight ratio. if your a true adrenaline junkie, and it sounds like you are, then what you should be looking for. but if your just wanting something to go fast some of the time, but is fairly comfortable for longer and/or daily riding, then the larger sport standards would be ideal.

bikes like the gsx1250f or z1000, maybe even the new ninja 1000 (the non supersport relaxed riding version) are bikes that would interest you.

i came from a gsxr 750 so im used running with alot of power. the vulcans are no where near as fast, but that being said they don't need to be unless your wanting to race, or just run high triple digits for fun.

if i ever get the itch again i may pick up an older model on the cheap. but i ride my vulcan 900 more than i ever did the super sport. the gsxr was a great 1-2 hour weekend ride, but it sucked for anything other than that. and you don't get to use 75% of its power (legally) on the street.

judging from what you said i don't think you would be happy with either of those two harelys you mentioned from a performance standpoint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
see thats the thing. your just wanting to go fast, a cruiser, even the power cruisers don't even come close to the sport bikes.

400lb bikes with 180+ hp and 80+ ft lb of tq makes just about everything feel slow. theres no cruiser on the road that even comes close. most of the power cruisers put out numbers that are surpassed by common 600 cc super sports. but then you have 1000 cc super sports that trump everything short of the hayabusa and zx-14r in terms of power to weight ratio. if your a true adrenaline junkie, and it sounds like you are, then what you should be looking for. but if your just wanting something to go fast some of the time, but is fairly comfortable for longer and/or daily riding, then the larger sport standards would be ideal.

bikes like the gsx1250f or z1000, maybe even the new ninja 1000 (the non supersport relaxed riding version) are bikes that would interest you.

i came from a gsxr 750 so im used running with alot of power. the vulcans are no where near as fast, but that being said they don't need to be unless your wanting to race, or just run high triple digits for fun.

if i ever get the itch again i may pick up an older model on the cheap. but i ride my vulcan 900 more than i ever did the super sport. the gsxr was a great 1-2 hour weekend ride, but it sucked for anything other than that. and you don't get to use 75% of its power (legally) on the street.

judging from what you said i don't think you would be happy with either of those two harelys you mentioned from a performance standpoint.
We aren't on the same page.... I'm not really super sport person (hence the ninja 650r instead of a 600 or something). I was lookin at the new ninja 1000 because it is more upright. I haven't found a metric cruiser yet with the style/ power i want, i have found that in the 96ci harleys though.

I'm starting to wonder if something was wrong with the meanie i rode. I would like to go find another one to try and see if i get the same result, because honestly i didn't think that was right either, it SHOULD be alot quicker than my 900. It almost seemed like after a certain rpm it hit a wall and didn't make power (pretty early in the rpm range too according to the tach) I think the clutch was slipping, but not for sure, bike only had 10k miles on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts