Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the dealer did the 1st service , It seemed the engine was noisey to me. So i switched to AMS 10/40 and everything was smooth and the transmission was smooth , Then the next oil change i put in mobile one (onsale for 7.99 qt) and walmart oil filter, everything seemed ok but the transmission was clunky with every gear change. So saturday i chose AMS 20/50 and K&N oil filter . The clunking is gone and WOW really smooth (engine too). Took it for a long ride and im impressed. So you get what you pay for.. :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Just goes to show you what a quality oil filter will do for the bike. ;)

Never heard of AMS oil.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I had a similar experience. I dunno if the engine will really wear less or last longer (though probably even with conventional oil I won't wear it out). But I do know it runs smoother and shifts a LOT smoother with Amsoil. Switched to Amsoil in my car at 9,000 miles and gained about 2mpg.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Once the dealer did the 1st service , It seemed the engine was noisey to me. So i switched to AMS 10/40 and everything was smooth and the transmission was smooth , Then the next oil change i put in mobile one (onsale for 7.99 qt) and walmart oil filter, everything seemed ok but the transmission was clunky with every gear change. So saturday i chose AMS 20/50 and K&N oil filter . The clunking is gone and WOW really smooth (engine too). Took it for a long ride and im impressed. So you get what you pay for.. :)
What type of mobile one for $7.99? I use the Mobile one V-Twin full syn oil 20W50 and the trans shifts so much smoother then the 10W40 regular oil. Also engine temps much cooler. Both improvements were instantly noticed upon the switch to Mobile one V-Twin Full Syn 20W50.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type of mobile one for $7.99? I use the Mobile one V-Twin full syn oil 20W50 and the trans shifts so much smoother then the 10W40 regular oil. Also engine temps much cooler. Both improvements were instantly noticed upon the switch to Mobile one V-Twin Full Syn 20W50.
The mobile one vtwin 10/40. was onsale @ Advanced auto. I'm going to stick with Amsoil. This the 1st time i'm using 20/50. So far so good. Takes longer to get hot. But much smoother and better shifting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just switched from 10/40 Kawasaki dino oil to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 and wow what a difference! The engine runs quieter and cooler and the transmission shifts a lot better. I am sold on synthetic 20/50 V-Twin oil.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've gone from Mobile1 T4 racing full synthetic 10/40 to Amsoil full synthetic 10/40 and the biggest difference for me was more money at the register. Other than that nothing, nothing at all! I would try the Amsoil 20/50 but I don't think my wallet and I can take another disappointment. I think I'll go back to Mobile1 and do my changes every 6k and my wallet and I will be just as happy. lol!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've had AMSoil in my Voyager for the last 4,500 miles, bike has 11,700 on it now. Have enough for one more change. Will go back to dino oil after that for a base line and may try the Mobile. If I dont notice a significant improvement from that, will stick with the dino oil and save the cash for gas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The heavier oils will negatively impact your mpg's, more drag on the internals.
20W50 does not negatively affect the mpg's. Matter of fact I've experienced + 2 in mpg's vs using 10W40. Even slightly higher numbers if I go real easy riding.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just switched from 10/40 Kawasaki dino oil to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20/50 and wow what a difference! The engine runs quieter and cooler and the transmission shifts a lot better. I am sold on synthetic 20/50 V-Twin oil.
Exactly! Runs better, shifts nicer, runs quieter, and runs much cooler. As I mentioned before, for the first 1000 miles after switching to the 20W50 I noticed that it was running so much cooler that when I pulled into the garage after riding, the fan wasn't kicking on as always when I used the 10W40. About 1100 miles or so after, the fan was back to kicking on after a ride.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My fan always knows when im home ,it goes on ...Thats besause i have to back down into my driveway into the garage. When riding she's smooth and runs cooler.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
20/50 is thicker so maybe that's why it feels smoother with changes. In cold weather it might be too thick however.
If it gets too cold for the 20/50... you won't be riding it anyway.

I have used 20/50 for over 45 years. I also spent 3 years in Syracuse NY... It gets a little chilly there also...

I have not seen the Mobil 1 V-twin oil yet..... I will see if I can get it here and try it... I still change between 3000-4000 and I will ALWAYS do so. UNless a road trip makes me go a little farther. Difference over a few dollars in different costs for oil is far less than engine repair....

·
Registered
386 Posts
My fan always knows when im home ,it goes on ...Thats besause i have to back down into my driveway into the garage.
Me too, but I switch off while I do it, then start again to get it up the ramp to the shed.

If the overlap between 10w40 and 20w50 is so small, only 10 degrees difference or so in ambient temperature, then why does 20w50 run so much smoother, especially when you are not running over 40deg C, when 20W50 would be required?

Kawasaki say 10w40 is the preferred viscosity, and should only be changed to another grade for climatic reasons, e.g. ambient temperature of 40 deg Celsius or over, or less than freezing I think.

I wonder why?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I wonder why?
My theory relates to Kawi's use of hydraulic lifters in this engine. They probably realized early in it's development that thicker viscosity oil takes longer to fill the lifters. Most of us may have experienced the rattle of a dry lifter when starting this engine after an extended period of shut-down.

However, I filled up with 5w40 synthetic before I put the beast away last winter...an incredible cold winter, and she started up perfectly on the first turn this spring, on a rather cold day. The lifters filled instantly and there were no nasty noises. She probably would have taken several more cranks if I had used 20w50. With the weather extremes in Canada I see no point in using 20w50 for just our brief summer...if I put on more strictly summer miles then maybe, or if I lived in a warmer clime.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My theory relates to Kawi's use of hydraulic lifters in this engine. They probably realized early in it's development that thicker viscosity oil takes longer to fill the lifters. Most of us may have experienced the rattle of a dry lifter when starting this engine after an extended period of shut-down.

However, I filled up with 5w40 synthetic before I put the beast away last winter...an incredible cold winter, and she started up perfectly on the first turn this spring, on a rather cold day. The lifters filled instantly and there were no nasty noises. She probably would have taken several more cranks if I had used 20w50. With the weather extremes in Canada I see no point in using 20w50 for just our brief summer...if I put on more strictly summer miles then maybe, or if I lived in a warmer clime.
Good call.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The only time I have ever heard a ticking lifter was when the wind blew it over to almost upside down the first week I had it. After 2 miles it stopped.

Fortunately for a nice change after 33 years moving from 8000 feet in the high desert of Nevada to central Texas to 400 feet, I do not need to worry about the cold much here. Even in the cold of Nevada for the first year I had the Voyager, the lifters never ticked, with 20/50 on a very cold day start up. I rode a lot on 20 degree days. The sun always was shining, we got less than 1/2 inch a year rain where I lived, humidity never over 12 percent, 4 percent was normal... Now I get 5 inches in a day and 400 percent humidity....

My patrol HD would tick on those cold mornings until it warmed up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts