84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Is there a switched supplied hot wire under the seat? Vn2000
Need to supply a switched source to relay

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Hello Is there a switched supplied hot wire under the seat? Vn2000 Need to supply a switched source to relay
cbj, there is one in the headlight bucket. I think rember one under the seat rite side by the taillight harness connector.
don't use the single outlet under the battery cover center, it is the ground initiation for error codes at your FI lite on the dash.

are you wanting to tap a source for a switch to energize a relay?
ifso, I tap/splice the wire that feeds the license plate nite lite.. I think its blue and it is part of the taillight wiring harness.
its only hot with the key and is a non important function shuld it ever fail. poncho

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poncho
I found one in the harness that leads to the tail light. It's a red one.
It went live with key on and dead with key off and delivered 12 volts.
Yes to energize relay for 6 port fuse block

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Poncho
I found one in the harness that leads to the tail light. It's a red one.
It went live with key on and dead with key off and delivered 12 volts.
Yes to energize relay for 6 port fuse block
yes the RED one.. its the other blue one, only its red. after a while they all look the same. poncho

·
Registered
220 Posts
Forward accessory connection is in headlight bucket, rear accessory connection under seat inside r/h frame rail. Each connection has one power lead through ignition switch and one ground connection. Both get power through the 15 amp accessory fuse in the fuse box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok this might sound like one of those Stupid questions and I only ask because I've never touched one after I installed it.
Does a relay get hot? Or should I say is it suppose to?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ok this might sound like one of those Stupid questions and I only ask because I've never touched one after I installed it.
Does a relay get hot? Or should I say is it suppose to?
12vdc mite get a bit warm. hot? it is a small magnet coil pulling in a contact switch with a larger amp load on it. if the connections are not good, clean, solid, they can cause a voltage drop and the amps rise will generate heat.. check yor connections.. and proper wire size(s). 18-22g for coil. 16-18g for the switched load (ie. lamps, etc.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well even though the handlebar job went south I did mount the spot lights. :)
BTW the red and black cables you see are no longer in site like they show in the pics :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
1) Relay should NOT get hot. There is a coil inside that maybe draws 500 milliamps, so it will not generate any heat. The only other source of heat would be the current draw through the relay to the item drawing power. Most Bosch type relays are rated at 30 amps. Some are rated as high as 50 if you hunt for them on the web. If you bought a Bosch style relay at NAPA or a chain auto parts store, it is rated for 30 amps.

2) If the relay overheats, the switch inside will either stop working in the closed or open position. You should check the operation of the relay by placing the Volt Ohmmeter (turned to ohms, preferably 10,000 ohms range) terminals on the 30 and 87 terminals with power off. Should read infinite resistance or open circuit. Turn on key, and this should change to a shorted or no resistance. If it doesn't, you need to replace the relay.

3) Most motorcycles made by Kawasaki have a maximum load rating of 30 amps for the ENTIRE electrical system. So if you have something that is making that relay hot, check the current draw, and by golly, you better have an in line fuse on it rated less than 30 amps.

4) I have not checked the auxiliary hook up under the VN2000 seat, but the same hook up under the seat of my ZX9R is NOT switched. Check yours by using a voltmeter with the ground applied to the black/yellow wire terminal.

5) the wire attached to the 85 terminal is your switching power for the relay coil. You need a fuse in that wire to make sure the relay does not over-draw current from the circuit you tap into. You can use any switched wire on the bike so long as you correctly fuse the feed wire for the relay coil to 0.5-1 amp, or if you are using an automotive type fuse the least you will probably find is a 3 amp. However, the glass in line fuses can be purchased as either slow blow or fast blow, and I prefer a fast blow 0.5-1 amp glass fuse because it blows very quickly to prevent any collateral damage. I use the rear lighting wire, and I have also used a wire that feeds the junction box (I first test to make sure it is switched and that the wire is not too small).

·
Registered
203 Posts
I used the headlight wire for my switched power. They only come on after engine start, so I am able to keep power draw low until the engine is running. Was not difficult, since I was in the headlight bucket to fit the HID light. Now the fog/driving lights come on with the headlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts