Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a National Cycle Switchblade windshield? The reason I ask is that I picked one up and knew it had the wrong hardware. The hardware is for the standard V2K with the nacelle (which I can make you a good deal on if you need it) and I've been on the phone with MotorcycleSuperstore for 20 mins. after ordering the SAME hardware even though their website showed a different picture. That guy tells me that there is no hardware to mount a switchblade windshield to a Vulcan classic. That doesn't sound right to me...maybe I'll just call National Cycle and find out. So if you have a quick detach windshield let me know how you've attached it. Thanks

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
I have the nacelle bike and a national cycle switchblade windshield (don't usually have it installed though).

Seems like the mounting hardware would be the same, no matter what. Would just be the windshield itself that is different.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Seems like the mounting hardware would be the same, no matter what. Would just be the windshield itself that is different.
Well, I take that back. I went to their website. They DO indeed have different mounting hardware for the classic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, different hardware for the classic to hard mount a windshield. I'd really like to use this switchblade because it looks like new, the hardware is in really good shape also. It looks like it would work but there is no place to mount the top spindle at the top triple tree. Motorcycle superstore is eating the return postage because their picture is misleading, their words. Closest I can find thus far is for a VTX 1800 but don't know what the diameter of their fork covers are or distance between forks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the hardware to hard mount a heavy duty windshield not the switchblade. What I need, or what I think I need consists of two metal bands, bolts sticking out, a chrome spacer bar and the two spindles to attach the switchblade. If I have to get the heavy duty mounts I'll just sell the switchblade and get a batwing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I now have two sets of those. I need this...

Shoot!! Why can I no longer attach photos from my phone?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
No, I now have two sets of those. I need this...
Shoot!! Why can I no longer attach photos from my phone?
kr, pix later. Our classics don't have the top triple tree thread mount that the bug eye bike does. Ours do have the lower triple tree thread but it's buried/covered by the krome fork tins. I stripped these tins off my sled. Others have just drilled thru the covers to get access to the lower mount thread. I drilled and tapped the upper triple tree to make my own hard point attachment same as the factory bug eye version. Pix later when I get to my shop puter.
I installed Memphis Shade Fatty w/ standard quik connect hardware. On Off in 30 seconds.
It's all doable if you take ownership of yor work and not always look/need a buy/paid for solution. poncho

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I thought about that. I held the mount up to the bike and the lower one is exposed, through a hole in the chrome cover. I pulled the chrome cap out of the triple to look at drilling it but didn't think it was deep enough and wondered if the aluminum would even hold the pressure. BUT...if you say you've done it then I would love to see the pics to give me an idea of what you did. I've drilled enough on this bike, a couple more won't hurt. A top triple from a standard won't fit a classic will it?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I've figured it out! While on 300 miles of wind therapy today I had a lot of time to look at the top triple and think about my dilemma. I believe I will take the length of 1/4' X 1 1/2 flat stock I had left over from the brackets to lower the bike, bend it to match the front of the top triple (which I've already done) secure it with the two bolts in the front holding on the chrome holder, bend it over on the ends to hold the top rollers that attach the windshield. It's plenty thick enough, once bent and drilled I'll paint it to match the bike.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I believe I've figured it out! While on 300 miles of wind therapy today I had a lot of time to look at the top triple and think about my dilemma. I believe I will take the length of 1/4' X 1 1/2 flat stock I had left over from the brackets to lower the bike, bend it to match the front of the top triple (which I've already done) secure it with the two bolts in the front holding on the chrome holder, bend it over on the ends to hold the top rollers that attach the windshield. It's plenty thick enough, once bent and drilled I'll paint it to match the bike.
kr, fun'ctional it would be. It's a do able plan. How will it look? Fit n finish?
For wat it's worth. Drilling n Tap the upper tree is simple ez clean. Ther is plenty nuff alum to take a metric thread and bolt. I dropped the fork legs an inch out the way. I used a nylon spacer to offset the button roller. Just that the finish job is not more brakets on the bike. I like a clean sled. But this one is yours, poncho

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh, my email isn't telling me y'all are responding to the threads or I'd been here earlier. I've been busy, busy, busy lately with work and three kids and trying to sell a house it's hectic to say the least. I did get the holes drilled and tapped though and they lined up darn near perfect. The bolts went in smooth like buttah. Once bent on the ends and painted I don't think it'll even be that noticeable. The flat stock is the same width as the front cover and wraps around the top triple almost perfectly. Hopefully I'll get it bent early next week, have to make a trip to the amusement park Sat. and show the house on Sun.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
pix. we need pix. as we are not all that brite on word pikshurs. key word is all. poncho

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as I first assumed 1/4' steel is hard to work with and bend, no matter how big a hammer and flame you use. 1/8' aluminum on the other hand is much more malleable and easy to work with. After I buggered up the steel I went to slowes and picked up a 1/8 X 1 1/2" X 3' piece of aluminum and made all the same bends I wanted to make with the steel. Shaped it, drilled it, hit it with 400 grit sand paper and it looks like brushed aluminum. All the holes lined up perfectly and the mount now holds a 2 up switchblade windshield. Can't wait to try it out, hopefully before we leave for three days on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'll try and email the pics to myself and post them up on here. It doesn't want to take them straight from my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts