Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I currently have a 900 custom and love it but have always said that I wish I could just put a bigger engine in it. I came accross a 2005 V2k that only has 7,800 miles on it and I am about to jump on it when a friend of mine said DON'T DO IT!!! apparently he heard that because they only liquid cooled the heads and not the entire motor that there were major issues with the engines and that is why they had stopped making them.

Can anyone help me out with this information? I really like the look of them and have been thinking abut a V2k since a year after buying my 900.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I had a 900 classic for two years and moved the the 2000 last year. I kept the V2K about 9 months and sold it and bought another 900. Lots of guys have tons of miles on that engine with no problems so I wouldn't let that stop you if the price is right. I loved the engine, I just hated backing it out of my garage and taking it off the side stand. It was like moving a beached whale. Very cool bike, just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Your friend is misinformed. NOTHING wrong with the 2053.

The reason they stopped making them is because the didn't sell well. Too big of a bike for most people.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The engine is the best thing of the VN2000, it never overheats even ion heavy traffic, there's nothing wrong with it. Just get on the saddle and ride.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wait till Ponch sees this thread. You gona get an ear(eye) full.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love it when somebody just starts to make up crap. The engine is great, no issues.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Wait till Ponch sees this thread. You gona get an ear(eye) full.
why wait? you guys (should) know all this stuff (by now).
water cooling, the pump feeds the upper half of the rear Cylinder first as it is likely to be (warmer?) than the front. there is a cross over tube that feeds the front Cylinder. Both cylinder cooling extends up into the heads where they are manifolded between and back to the thermostat/fill cap then forward to the radiator.

the v2k is 80% liquid cooled. this motor also has some of the DEEPest Air Cooled finning of any motor bilt. Most of this is for show, tho it does contribute heat disappation and probly is attributable to why this motor runs soo fkng cool for such a big mill, that and it has a decent size radiator.
in addition to its overtly well developed cooling system it utilizes a 5 qt semi dry sump with a 3 stage oil pump (can you say pressure?) feeding 4 additional (left side feeds) directly to the rocker boxes where the hydraulic valve tappets reside on these 4 valve heads.

Kaw did an impressive job of engineering this motor. It is the KING-KONG of motors. itsa shame they quit there. and did a poorly job of packaging and marketing this monster bike.. this is why it never caught on as a sales leader.
Kaw then took yet another "follow the leader" position and terminated this "GEM motor" in favor of a Smooth (see wimpy) v17 to fill out its bagger lineup.

but the v2k is still the finest piece of motor machinery to come out of Kaw hevy Ind.. now why cant you tell it like it is? poncho

ps. yor buddy dont kno jack about v2k.

Attachments

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I am about to jump on it when a friend of mine said DON'T DO IT!!! apparently he heard that because they only liquid cooled the heads and not the entire motor that there were major issues with the engines and that is why they had stopped making them.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I heard that same crap when i was looking tobuy my first v2k, my old boss who rode a dyna that was to small for his fat a$$, said a buddy told him V2K's were crap and i should keep my c90, I ANAL-lyzed reviews like i always do when im about to buy a bit item, and only issues that came up, the size, and the torture device they call a seat, my v2k's are the best bike i ever had, so tell your buddy to shhhh and play the quiet game.

·
Registered
616 Posts
ok, so I currently have a 900 custom and love it but have always said that I wish I could just put a bigger engine in it. I came accross a 2005 V2k that only has 7,800 miles on it and I am about to jump on it when a friend of mine said DON'T DO IT!!! apparently he heard that because they only liquid cooled the heads and not the entire motor that there were major issues with the engines and that is why they had stopped making them.

Can anyone help me out with this information? I really like the look of them and have been thinking abut a V2k since a year after buying my 900.
From personal experience , I can tell you that there are only two things that detract from the V2K . It is BIG, too big for most riders mindset, but not their ability. There seems to be a mental block that anything over about 1700cc is TOO big. WRONG ! The V2K will surprise you , presuming you arent a 98 lb weakling. Its big in the parking lot, but nimble on the road . Has enough weight to hold its own in wind & MORE than enough power to attack any hill, wind or passing situation.
Second issue , there is only a limited amount of aftermarket accessories available.
They can , however , consume rear tires at an above average rate, but that appetite is directly proportional to the twist of your right wrist.
Ive owned 3 of them, loved each one !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Get the bike. You'll love it. It has so.e quirks but the best bang for the buck I have ever own. Be careful though... all that power can make some of your riding buddies jealous.!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Umm...dude...I say you buy it just so we can rock v2ks together!!!!
I live in East Aurora and work up in Tonawanda at FedEx

I had an 09 900 Custom and upgraded to my current 2010 v2k
in July of 2013. I LOVE the damn thing!
You didn't happen to buy your Custom from Buffalo Harley, did you?

I ride all the time with a few Harley buddies. Well be out at soon
As this damn snow clears up and the roads get a little nicer!
Well have to meet up for a few beers.

We do Thursday night Quaker Steak cruise night a lot of weeks.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I think that the real problem here is that you need to find new friends that don't do drugs:D
Love my V2K with over 55K miles no problems except needs a little more power.:eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts